2016 Tuna Adventures

I saw a confirmed picture of some fish being caught off Nootka. I think they were in the new derby up there. They looked very large as well.

Long range forecast (Windyty) has the wind looking great for next Thursday (Wed and Fri are good too). With my son returning to school soon, we will be watching closely how this unfolds and will head to Tofino for a couple days if it looks even potentially good.

There is a patch of water up off of Brooks right now. There appears to be blue water with it as well. Unfortunately the weather sucks. Anyone have any information on the tuna derby out of Nootka? It started last Friday.

South Island really needs a Southerly push to get some good looking conditions. Its really down and out right now. Sunday and Monday could change things up a bit with a low coming in. There is another low expected for the long weekend. Fingers are crossed that we get a shot at this fishery soon.

Yes the Tuna Derby a Newton Cove in Esperanza was converted to a Salmon Derby because of the precipitant gale wind especial up near Brooks where the Tuna may well be.
Good news is the Salmon fishing/catching in & around Esperanza is GOOD & getting better daily. It seem like the Chinook & Coho are still moving in with each flood tide. Springs 15-25lbs, nice Coho 10-16lbs Coho are Big this season & growing daily.
FOJ

The required edge is 78 miles off Tofino now. To far for me. Not logistically, Im just not willing to do it. Maybe if there was 3 or 4 consecutive days of 3 to 4 kn winds forecast but other wise, no thanks.

too far for me so far,, tuna don would be in, slivo and whut knott...

Off Brooks looks good. Should be hearing from FOJ about it after this calm spell. The closest water anywhere along the island is still 4o miles. Lots of good salmon habitat out there tho with all that cool water.

The required edge is 78 miles off Tofino now. To far for me. Not logistically, Im just not willing to do it. Maybe if there was 3 or 4 consecutive days of 3 to 4 kn winds forecast but other wise, no thanks.[/QUOTE
Next week is starting to look good, we are thinking may give her a go on Wed. The southerly flow forecast should help bring that edge a little closer

Yup, it's starting to shape up. Might have to play hooky next week :).

Just a heads up. The folks down South of us (Oregon included) have had a hard time trolling as the fish seem to be holding deeper this year. This Southerly push could change that, but it's always a good idea to carry some chum and irons on board. Don't be afraid to use some heavier ones to get down 100 plus feet. Some good reports on doing this on the ifish and bloodydecks forums with good results.

Yup, it's starting to shape up. Might have to play hooky next week :).

Yes...hooky it is!
Anyone interested to buddy boat from Rennie, Ukee or Bamfield, heading out to Nitnat or Barkley?
I hope to make a run out on tues and/or weds ( based on current long term wx forecasts ) It looks like the cooler water upwelling in front of Barkley sound is starting to die off - maybe the temp breaks will move within reasonable distance?
PM before Monday evening and we can exchange contact info

( not sure what I did to make my reply into a quote, so repost )

Yes...hooky it is!
Anyone interested to buddy boat from Rennie, Ukee or Bamfield, heading out to Nitnat or Barkley?
I hope to make a run out on tues and/or weds ( based on current long term wx forecasts ) It looks like the cooler water upwelling in front of Barkley sound is starting to die off - maybe the temp breaks will move within reasonable distance?
PM before Monday evening and we can exchange contact info

I would love to go..still breaking in the new power and few other things that have jump up.. hoping to after labour day weekend.. :)

There were some fish caught up our way last week, 30 miles off. Looking forward to going after it up here in a few weeks, hope that water pushing right in.

Well I was all ready this year to go for albies, got the gear, worked my hunting schedule to make prime time, dry docked 2325 Kingfisher on Island. Then the unthinkable happened, my 100 gallon onboard fuel tank sprung a leak on my last trip out of Ukie. I had to bring it home and planning on replacing floor this winter so I'll be repairing tank also at that time. If anyone needs an experienced fisher to deck for them this year I'm your guy. I have my own gear,time, and more importantly for an albie excursion a fat wallet. Please PM me if your looking for a crew mate.

Well I was all ready this year to go for albies, got the gear, worked my hunting schedule to make prime time, dry docked 2325 Kingfisher on Island. Then the unthinkable happened, my 100 gallon onboard fuel tank sprung a leak on my last trip out of Ukie. I had to bring it home and planning on replacing floor this winter so I'll be repairing tank also at that time. If anyone needs an experienced fisher to deck for them this year I'm your guy. I have my own gear,time, and more importantly for an albie excursion a fat wallet. Please PM me if your looking for a crew mate.
You should consider coming to the shootout, usually a spot on a boat or two for more deckhands, I can put a shout out to the captains if you like.,, let me know.

Guy

Back