Chum Fishing

Beacon

Have never fished for Chum salmon just wondering if you fish the same tackel as for springs or coho.

CHEERS

No. We fish them the same as Sockeye. Lots of flashers and small red squirts and troll dead slow.

As Casper said the normal way to target Chum is with small hoochies and a very slow troll. They do hit bait at times though. I picked up a few trolling for springs using herring strip last year off the Fraser. Search the Campbell River Chum derby threads for info. Most places the Chum aren't eager biters once they get close to their home rivers. The Campbell River area is one of the few places where Chum seem to bite well on sports gear.

One of these years I need to do a fall trip and try my hand at these guys. Still haven't had a chance to target Chum.

That would be nice to hook up for a fish. Unfortunately I'd be staying at my Cousin's place, so it's not my place to offer. Not really sure if it would end up happening this fall anyways, but I'd like to do it one of these days. I love catching Chum.

That would be nice to hook up for a fish. Unfortunately I'd be staying at my Cousin's place, so it's not my place to offer. Not really sure if it would end up happening this fall anyways, but I'd like to do it one of these days. I love catching Chum.

I was only kidding, I wouldn't invite myself along like that! Especially with someone elses hospitality.

I was only kidding, I wouldn't invite myself along like that! Especially with someone elses hospitality.

That's ok. I'm sure we can hook up to do some fishing one of these days. The weather is notoriously bad in Nov when the Chum are running. It sure would be nice to live around Campbell River. If you could pick your days weather wise it would be great to get out fishing for Chum. To just plan a trip for that you could end up in some seriously nasty weather at that time of year. If the Chums ran in Aug like the springs there'd be a whole lot more people out fishing for them. A lot of people forget Chum actually the second largest Salmon species on the west coast. When you get one of the big ones they can put up a monster scrap.

Pop a tiny spin-n-glo in front of your lil squirt hoochie. It helps. I once caught about a 10lb chum casting for coho on my trout rod. It was a gangbuster of a fight.

Pop a tiny spin-n-glo in front of your lil squirt hoochie. It helps. I once caught about a 10lb chum casting for coho on my trout rod. It was a gangbuster of a fight.

Good point. An observation I made was that I found that hootchies with spin and glo this year out produced the exact same hootchie without. The same with both springs and coho.

I had done that exclusively all the time with little pink squirts targeting pinks in previous years and gave it a shot this year. Glad that I did.

We had success will UV flashers and bait in purple/blue/chrome teaser head's last year at Browns. This year we'll be using more flash and purple/pinks squirts. Bait was a bit of pain in the butt in the fall after changing bait all summer.

As far as the spin-glows, do you put any beads or anything ahead of the nose of the squirt or just throw it on the leader and let it rip?

As far as the spin-glows, do you put any beads or anything ahead of the nose of the squirt or just throw it on the leader and let it rip?

For me, yes to the beads. If set up for pinks, tiny beads and for coho/spring a standard bead. Just a single, it seems to help the spin-n-glo rotate. I also try to match the colour of the spin-n-glo to the body of the hootchie in some way, same with the beads or just go with clear.

In the stave river I drift blue/pink jigs and they hammer them do I'd imagine that a blue/pink hoochie would also nail em in the salt.

If fishing in the chuck.....I know of a few that were hooked up this weekend including us using a regular Chinook set up of glow/kinetic flasher and chovie. I know it's not a typical set up that guys use when targeting them specifically but it was working this weekend!

There were a few hooked up at the north arm of the Fraser this past Saturday. I had to do a double take when it was in the net!!! :p

Back