2016 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Yup that's me haha...lotsa fishing..not so much catching some days. Stop by and we'll tell some fishing lies one day

Snuck out this morning solo and was rewarded. Was gonna fish Ballenas but there wee a bunch of boats there so I ran down to Gerald. Got a few nice wild coho then hooked in to a beauty , took a while to get him to the boat and once I did it took four try's to get his head turned to go in the net. Bonked him and went back down with the same hootchy and five mins later I got another and I was limited. The big one was 28 and the smaller was 15, both red, awesome morning..............BRS

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 104
I was out today at first light and within minutes had a small spring on a speckle back green and white hoochie. Moments later I caught a smallish hatchery coho on a onion skin spoon which I released because surely I would catch many more. Things died right off after that with an occasional small spring caught. The greenery was nasty today not really sticking to one area just masses of it here and there to **** you off.

Eventually I ended up in 400' - 450' of water to avoid the weeds which really reduced your fishing time. Two legal springs (64 & 70cm.) not worth weighing, one decent hatchery coho and one yellow eye which I caught when stopped to bring in a spring. All fish in deep water were caught using a glow white with green stripe hootchie on one side (only caught coho with that one) at 135'. The other side was pretty much identical except with a UV hoochie at 145' which only caught springs. Both sides had a green flasher with reflective tape on them, the old favorite.

I did try fishing deep for quite awhile at 220' in 250' of water to no avail. I have also tried the 727 plug fishing deep and have only yielded coho. I generally use a dummy flasher attached to the ball maybe a 5' leader with the plug maybe 10' behind that. Am I doing something wrong or it is just my luck?

I was out today at first light and within minutes had a small spring on a speckle back green and white hoochie. Moments later I caught a smallish hatchery coho on a onion skin spoon which I released because surely I would catch many more. Things died right off after that with an occasional small spring caught. The greenery was nasty today not really sticking to one area just masses of it here and there to **** you off.

Eventually I ended up in 400' - 450' of water to avoid the weeds which really reduced your fishing time. Two legal springs (64 & 70cm.) not worth weighing, one decent hatchery coho and one yellow eye which I caught when stopped to bring in a spring. All fish in deep water were caught using a glow white with green stripe hootchie on one side (only caught coho with that one) at 135'. The other side was pretty much identical except with a UV hoochie at 145' which only caught springs. Both sides had a green flasher with reflective tape on them, the old favorite.

I did try fishing deep for quite awhile at 220' in 250' of water to no avail. I have also tried the 727 plug fishing deep and have only yielded coho. I generally use a dummy flasher attached to the ball maybe a 5' leader with the plug maybe 10' behind that. Am I doing something wrong or it is just my luck?

You did pretty good if you ask me! A few keepers for the morning is excellent especially this year!

Hit low slack today and it was much slower for us than yesterday. Got a small hatch coho on a 4.0 blue and silver coyote at 120' in 200' right away then nothing worth keeping till 5pm when we lucked into a 17lb white spring right on the bottom of the big hump. Was 240' on the rigger so took a little bit too bring it in. That was on the bigger blue and silver coyote spoon....6.0 I think. Hedgehog I only run about a 5' leader on my dummy flashers and vary the distance of the plug or spoon behind and havn't really notice if longer or shorter behind the dummy makes a huge difference

Wow!!! Stopped by FC cleaning station on the way home yesterday!! Darrel from Western Star Charters had a real nice over 9lb 26in clipped Coho.. He said he thought it was a spring till they got it to the boat. What a awesome fish!!!

Hard to believe a 9 pounder this time of year, good genes I guess.

My coho was only 3 or 4 pounds caught on a white hoochie with black bars across the back. Many wild ones released on same rig only one hatchery.
One small spring caught on a white, pink and black hoochie which oddly caught me a 10 pounder last week up island.
Never even made it any where near the hump today.

Was out playing the coho lottery this morning and did well, we boated at least 25 fish total, mostly keeper size but not clipped. Ended up with our 4 hatchery coho, one which was about 9 or 10 lbs, awesome fish! We also caught a small keeper spring that ended up being the whitest meat I've seen in years. Caught our first on a white/green Coyote spoon, but then hit a couple of dogfish so switched up to glow white hoochie, other side was busy all morning with army truck hooch.

IMG_3516.JPG Fished Friday out in front of the marina for most of our action. Picked up 8 springs, most small, one just legal, and one 18lbs. Coho were very steady all day, with the odd slow period.
Saturday, different story. Much slower. The day started off with coho hitting at first light, then died off. Managed a few small springs and one 14lber. Coho bite was around tide changes for best results.
The hot lures for us were crocodile spoons in 3 inch on Friday and Saturday my friend did well on Apex lures.
Beware of Dog fish......I caught them on lures, bait, hootchies.... Caught them running 2.5mph on a lure, with no sent, down 45 feet......Give me a break. I hate dog fish as much as anybody.
One final note, the fish I cleaned had stuffed themselves with what I believe are anchovies and herring. They were 6-7 inches long and others 4 inches long. All springs that we kept were of white meat. A great weekend out fishing with great guys.... Here is Andy's best fish of the year, so far.

Attachments

• IMG_3516.JPG
    IMG_3516.JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Well only had a few hours on sunday morning to be on the water so brought a freind and his son with me who I haven't seen in 10 years and they never fished saltwater before. What a treat for us all full limits on springs between 14-22 lbs and full limits on nice hatch Ho's.. One weighed in at almost 8 lbs. We only fished from 530 till 945 am and believe me their arms were sore with non stop action. Tryed many different combos and depths but the best for us was between 129/157ft on riggers in 210 ft of water... Honestly I don't fish this area much as I should for living as close to the Marina as I do. But after that morning I started thinking why do I always go to ukee... Our best combo was the Kermit in 4" and the army truck cuttlefish side but was getting them in everything to be honest copcar hootchies done well,. Well hope some fiah are still around when I get back from work in 3 weeks.

The humps were hot tonight! 2 in the boat, lost 2, one just under. 22 and 12 on the scale. 220 and 200 in 200-220. 3.5 black and glow tko. Josie got the big one. (Atta girl).
I was talking to you at the cleaning station last night. When you guys brought up about last years derby I said I got the big fish for the Friday!!!I was driving home then remembered that was a lie lol.. Only fished the Sunday last year due to family problems.. Got the big fish Friday 2 years ago lol.. Just thought I would mention that lol. Beauty fish!!!

I was talking to you at the cleaning station last night. When you guys brought up about last years derby I said I got the big fish for the Friday!!!I was driving home then remembered that was a lie lol.. Only fished the Sunday last year due to family problems.. Got the big fish Friday 2 years ago lol.. Just thought I would mention that lol. Beauty fish!!!

LOL, last year I got the biggest fish for Friday. Can only hope the same happens this year and if not, still a great time and lots of fun! Good luck to all!

Put some time in today ended up with three hatchery coho and a keeper spring between a buddy and I. All north of the marina. Good to be out.

Went out around 7 tonite and got a 10lb spring and a nice coho. Went through quite a few wild coho and undersize spring before we got any keepers. Almost everything was caught at 90' in 200' on a smaller blue& silver coyote. Hope we're allowed to keep one wild soon.

Went out last night for low slack and man was it slow for us. Was on the outside of the humps to get away from all the weed and barely got a hit all night. Had all the gear down that has been working but everyone that I talked to that had fish were closer in. Saw a fairly large spring at the table that was apparently a 30lb..nice job. DFO was waiting for all the night biters to come in and were checking everyone. A person next to us had two very undersize springs they were filleted at sea, which he claimed to be coho, dfo guy couldn't believe his eyes and had the guy meet him at his truck for a hefty fine I'm assuming.

Saw that!!!!! Good on them. .. RCMP dude was a nice guy. Just asked to see catch and license.. Nice 14lber.. Buddy got a 27 off of another buddies commercial boat that was out.. Most likely smacked it with them 30lb cannon balls lol.. Saw a few other 27ish come in right near the end

Was out this afternoon. Found fish in a little shallower today, fishing 190' in 195' of water (Just inside the north hump). Good quality springs up to 22lbs and a beauty 9lbs hatchery coho. Had to switch things up as thè regular gear wasn't going. Ended up hitting almost all our fish on the LGB- 57 hoochy after slowing the speeds down a little. Beautiful day out there!

Fished the humps yesterday 6 30 to 3pm 14lb spring and a 8 to 9lb wild coho that had to be returned. A few smaller springs and coho but a slow day. Checked out the Little Q nothing there. Was a great day to be on the water!

Back