Is it time to make life-jacket use mandatory in boats?

Ok - guess I'll add my $0.02 worth too.

If I decide to play safe and put together a ditch bag - or a comfortable pfd - it sure as hell isn't because some damn bureaucrat in Ottawa says so. It's because it makes sense. Don't confuse resistance to rules with being safe - 2 very different things.

For those with reluctance to wearing a comfortable pfd (yes they do exist) - who has either been out looking for bodies - or been involved in SAR incidents? Changes ones perspective on this issue...

Agreed, double A. As long as it is my choice. If one chooses to be safe, that mindset is infectious. And everyone on the boat will catch the same infection. But to force me to do something in order to reduce me to the lowest common denominator of morons on the water, it won't happen. I will choose to make my own decisions about when to use PFD's and when not to.

Big coast, big changes in water, big differences in boats and swimming ability etc. I'm not for any mandatory life jacket requirements (perhaps for small children) but I do wear one when in snotty weather in the central / north coast. If I was in a small, open boat I'd probably wear one a lot more but I'm typically in a bigger (20 foot and up) boat with a cabin, etc and others on the boat who know how to operate it.

Agreed, double A. As long as it is my choice. If one chooses to be safe, that mindset is infectious. And everyone on the boat will catch the same infection. But to force me to do something in order to reduce me to the lowest common denominator of morons on the water, it won't happen. I will choose to make my own decisions about when to use PFD's and when not to.
agreed FA - I don't think it is necessary to force me to wear one - as I mentioned - if I'm in an open boat - I always do. Makes sense. Think it makes also sense to those of us familiar with the ocean and boats - along with a ditch bag. We are not the choir they are preaching to.

Unfortunately - there are many others out there that don't have the background and experience to understand risk - on the ocean. Unfortunately, we are outnumbered by the "Darwin Awards" nominees. Unfortunately they also put a strain on our SAR resources/personnel.

I don't know if making it illegal to not wear a lifejacket/PFD would change that - or not. So I am ambivalent about adding this as a new law/regulation. I think sly_karma is right - education is key. But...

How do we - as a marine community (the ones out looking for bodies) - deal with SAR incidents/death when education isn't enough? I'm all ears...

Last edited:
We jacket up when water is coming in the back or over the front. Other people on my boat wear a jacket all the time. It's kinda funny to throw a bucket on water on them. Poof instant poofy person
It should be up to the person, being the boat owner and having new people on the boat. I always show everyone where the jackets are, vhf radio and basic on off use, sunscreen and gravol are here, etc etc.
If they choose to where one on hot dead flat calm days in 32* weather... That's up to them. Shouldn't be a law unless wave are bigger that xxx height.

You can't legislate common sense. Jackets are mandatory on my boat.
Sadly, Darwin does take those who are too young because those that make decisions for their children have no common sense.
If adults chose not to wear them that's their decision. I do feel for whomever has to pick the body out of the water.

I'm pretty much like you Finaddict. I've also got so much safety stuff people bug me about it, but when the **** hits the fan it will be nice to have it. I fish out of a 23Ft Hourston and it would be almost impossible to fall out of, but things do happen. I myself, am a big baby and always cold, so I wear a floater coat or full floater suit on colder days. Like you, on a nice hot summer day, flat calm, no me nor quests are going to be wearing them. Kids always wear them no matter what. I will be buying some self inflatables once I'm back on the water, that way maybe more people will wear them.

Kids wear lifejackets.
People who can't swim or would be unable to get back in boat life jackets.
If you are by yourself...lifejacket the whole time.
While underway lifejacket and kill switch attached!
Rough weather lifejacket.

While stopped up out fishing with at least one other person capable of operating boat and throwing you a lifejacket if need be...no lifejacket. It would be like asking people to where their seat belt while parked in the parking lot.

I agree with the fact that all the rules are becoming to much, do you know that is now illegal to have one beer in your boat!? Unless you have a permanent galley, permanent head, and are tied up to the dock or at anchor.

If people choose not to where a lifejacket and you force them to because it is dangerous well then how is it any different than selling people cigarettes knowing they are dangerous for them? Oh yeah right, there is money to be had in cigarette sales.

Rant over, at some point people have to take responsibility for their decisions as long as they're not hurting other people.

I've seen a few tragedies and my advice is to keep the kill switch attached whenever underway, even when trolling if alone. Keep a VHF radio as close as possible such as a ditch bag (great idea). Sail with a friend and another boat if going off shore. Start actually wearing a comfortable lifejacket and you'll soon realize they aren't that bad.

Last edited:
Don,t know how Or would enforce the law. If people saw cops in area they would put there jackets just like they put there cellphones down. They can,t even enforce bike helmets on the land

Don,t know how Or would enforce the law. If people saw cops in area they would put there jackets just like they put there cellphones down. They can,t even enforce bike helmets on the land
4 sure abl! That's exactly why I am ambivalent about the suggestion to criminalize not wearing life jackets..

Just trying to figure out why we would want to save 100 lives a year? Too many people on the planet already. Booze, cigarettes and accidents are a man made population control measure. Add in a few natural disasters and you open up resources for those of us that survive. Imagine the money and resources that would be thrown at this to save a 100 people....ridiculous. They have now admitted that helmets on bicycles are not saving from head injuries. I am sure that the biggest manufacturers are in on this and will profit greatly probably with an inspection and expiry by a "certified" body or some BS. Why not just ban boating or any recreational activity period and keep everyone home on their couch. This "safety" culture is an incredible job creation tool and is getting out of hand. Seems as soon as anything gets proposed around the "safety" word it is automatically fast tracked and no one questions the costs how stupid!

It ain't cheap for anyone - incl Joe Taxpayer - to be out looking for bodies.

Slap them with a paddle - make sure they stay down is what I am hearing...

It ain't cheap for anyone - incl Joe Taxpayer - to be out looking for bodies.

Slap them with a paddle - make sure they stay down is what I am hearing...

Not sure I'm hearing the same thing.

What I'm hearing is people so sick of living in a Nanny State that they are starting to buck at things like this.

My 2 is no, you don't need to regulate this. The culture of safety and conservation in our waters will grow through the people, not the law.

I am of the opinion that you can't legislate common sense with stupid little rules.

Next they would want people to stop slaloming through packs of trolling boats at top speed.

Personal choice. That said anybody who reads the thread about the guide who fell over iin Kyuquot would think twice about not wearing a life jacket.

I am of the opinion that you can't legislate common sense with stupid little rules.

Next they would want people to stop slaloming through packs of trolling boats at top speed.
There actually is already legislation for that . It is covered under "Unsafe practices while piloting" and "Responsibility for your wake" both of which can result in fines if convicted. Never going to happen unless there is a collision though.

Then stop in the middle of the pack, fight for 5 minutes with ****** old kicker to get it started, screw downriggers on then tie up their gear making everyone go around them.

Makes me crazy!!!

As for PFD's, everyone wears one in my small boat, it's not optional. The new inflatables are very comfortable and don't impede movement.

Personal choice. That said anybody who reads the thread about the guide who fell over iin Kyuquot would think twice about not wearing a life jacket.

That guide is one of my oldest and closest friends. I honestly don't know of anybody that has a healthier respect or love for the ocean. No need to elaborate on the story anymore, but I can tell you this. He has worn pfds consistently for the majority of his career on the water. He actually had one on just prior to going over, but had put it on his elderly guest because of the weather and the old guy's difficulty in maintaining his balance while fighting fish in those seas. Complacency played a role that day, so did luck, so did something else intangible, but miraculously he came out the other side of it. One more stupid, unenforceable law, shoved down our throats for our own safety, would not have prevented that incident, or many others for that matter. It's illegal to drink and drive, but there are a hell of a lot more than 100 fatalities a year caused by alcohol and automobiles.

So, that being said, I don't always wear one on my boat. Neither do my passengers, IF they are old enough to be responsible for themselves. If the weather dictates it, they go on. I always inform people that haven't been on the boat where all the safety gear is located before I even fire up the engine. All strategically placed to be accessed quickly. Life jackets under their respective seats.

Children have two options, elected on the dock; you wear it or we go home.

So, with all that being said, I sure have thought about it a lot since the day he went in the water. When I'm by myself, I do wear one at the request of my wife. Really, I wear it only out of respect for her, lol.

The nanny state is getting way out of hand. It seems to be relative to the number of #*%*ing idiots that are kept from injuring or killing themselves. The more of these morons that we save, breed and produce more, so we, as a collective are saddled with the responsibility of protecting them at no cost to themselves. Any member on here that works "in the field" will understand! The biggest waste of skin on just about any job site is going to be the 'safety' person. Now these idiots (not every single one, but greater than 90%) are actually 'educated' but absolutely useless. I have more respect for teachers (again not every single one, but waaaay up there) and we all know the saying there! So it's not bad enough that these morons are actually on sites, but they've been given relative power.
I could go on more about this, but I won't. It's only a metaphor for the modern world we live in; all about shirking responsibility (cleverly called Limiting Liability) instead of actually accepting responsibility for one's own actions.

How many of us remember riding in the back of pickups with six or seven of the parents' friends' kids on the back roads, while there were no seatbelts in the cab where the dads sat? We slept in tents then too, actually camping.

Remember when the only people on the ski hill that wore a helmet were the racers?

Remember when you could actually just do something without having to cover your butt six ways from Sunday because you could do things without being sued for a freakin hangnail?

Even better, remember when you could operate a boat without having to spend fifty bucks on a cheesy little card, that doesn't mean anything because the 'training' is a joke. No accountability, just a cash grab. Again, a metaphor for our 'modern' society.

I remember when people had thicker skin and actually took responsibility for their own actions and safety.
Those were the good old days alright. People were tougher and generally more intelligent. A sharp contrast to the vast majority of bubble wrapped cattle mindlessly bungling their way through life today.

I wear an inflatable all the time and put on as soon as I step onboard. Have been doing it so long I don't even think about it. Making it law I don't believe will help those that won't t help themselves. I wear mine not because I'm not operating safely but because **** happens. That's what we carry insurance for. Especially the liability side of things. I wonder what the experience would be like as the owner/operator if something happened to someone onboard that wasn't wearing one. The money side of things could be a big game changer not just for you but probably for the whole family and what about the feeling of responsibility that what if I had just asked them to put it on?

Just a personal view and thankfully never experienced it but do know someone who has. It made the decision easy for me.

Back