Boat Insurance

Statler

Hi all,
Boat insurance is up for renewal and its increased quite a bit from last year and am looking at alternatives.

I've been looking at an insurance product being offered by Boatsmart Assure. They are partnered with McLean & Dickey and underwritten by Lloyd's of London. There product for "declared value" is about 25% less than what I have been paying. No local offices but it seems pretty good.

Anyone have any experience with them? Sure would appreciate any comment on anyone's experience with them.

Thanks,

I go to Christie Phoenix in Saanich. They have a deal for SVIAC members. I got my full replacement policy that covers me up to 25 miles offshore for less then $580 for the year.

I second Christie Phoenix, been with them for 5 years and all good, however I have not needed to use it....knock on wood

Thanks guys I really appreciate the info. The cost from Boatsmart is about $10 +/- for declared value from what was mentioned. My current insurance from Coast Capital jumped in the last 2 years from 5-600 to 820. Never had a claim. I can understand reasonable increases but this seems a little over the top. Were willing to drop about 100 or so but the coverage would not have been even close as to what I currently have.

Good to know there is another fine reason to be a member of SVIAC.

Thanks again I will give them a call on Monday.

Not sure where you are but Hatton insurance in Duncan, will do their best to get you what you need. Will shop pricing too. 250 597 2899. Worth a phone call.

I had a good experience dealing with

Coastal Community Insurance Services (2007) Ltd.
Phone: 1-888-741-1010

Supposedly they just took on a new department to handle just their marine department. I didn't really shop around because they were so helpful and to insure my boat up to 15k plus 10 k for personal items and electronics it cost $350/year. I believe it also covers a free tow from basically anywhere in BC. Check em out and let me know what you think. The lady I dealt with was from Campbell River originally and knew exactly what I was looking for. Her name was Vicki.

Good luck.

I go through hub and coast underwriters. They have been very good to deal with. I have had a few unfortunate claims. New motor and leg. I would call hub.

I've been using Dolphin Insurance for the past 3 years and have never needed to make a claim (knock on wood!) but from what you guys are posting on this forum, I think I'm paying a high premium for my coverage. o_O Maybe I should shop around for a better deal. Any recommendations for a good insurance company on the mainland?

Thanks for all the info. Decided on Christie Phoenix. Excellent experience. Even met the President Chris Flint. Had a question about SVIAC membership and he popped out to say hi and showed me the salmon form his recent trip to Port Renfrew. Gave me his card and mentioned to give him a call any time I am out that way and he would point out a few spots to check. Nice guy . Very helpful and accommodating people and probably the best experience with regard to customer experience that I have had in a long time. Worth the trip. Thanks all for the great suggestion.

Was with beacon for first year and the woman was just a cow and I thought the rates were steep.

I just resigned today with christie phoenix...Tara parr is the woman I'm dealing with for the 2nt year running. My rates went down and my policy got better! I was recommended to her by a family friend. I'm paying 480 now

It's that time of year and I'm searching for a new insurer. Currently I have my boat on my house policy through BCAA. I got a new kicker recently and was told that the difference in value results in another 37 bucks a year. Seems steep to me so I thought I might check out alternatives.

Don't want to get into the annual inspection mode which eats up any savings. Any suggestions?

Recently shopped around for insurance on my new boat. Best quote I got locally
here in Kamloops was with Hub. Thanks to this forum, I gave Christie-Phoenix in Saanich a chance to beat it. Well they did, by over 300 a year. Tara Parr was super efficient and great to deal with.

I go to Christie Phoenix in Saanich. They have a deal for SVIAC members. I got my full replacement policy that covers me up to 25 miles offshore for less then $580 for the year.
Can a person get coverage greater than 25 miles offshore?
Is the "25 miles" as the crow flies??

Can a person get coverage greater than 25 miles offshore?
Is the "25 miles" as the crow flies??

My Beacon policy covers me up to 200 miles from the beach and in US waters. It is steep for pricing but some policies only cover up to 25 miles, so make sure you guys ask the question when getting your policies if you think you need to go further from the beach.

My Beacon policy covers me up to 200 miles from the beach and in US waters. It is steep for pricing but some policies only cover up to 25 miles, so make sure you guys ask the question when getting your policies if you think you need to go further from the beach.
The lack of miles is concerning to me. 20 or 25 miles doesn't cut it.

Back