To fish Bute you literally fish anywhere with structure, because there isn't much of it!

The log dump, which is just a nickname, is at the mouth of the inlet on the north shoreline right close to Stuart island. It's one of the best Inlet locations on an ebb tide. Whereas most places I found fished better on the flood.

Logdump Bute Inlet.jpg

This is the Log Dump area fished in Bute. We have caught fish further up past Lawrence Point into the first bay. I can remember fishing up there and seeing bait balls a mile long. Back in the good old days mind you. LOL

Just remember that the closer you get to the Aaron's the more current! It can make a turn damn near impossible. Pick up your gear and run back up and make another tack.

A couple of buds and I are going to be fishing around Stuart Is. this Saturday.
Forecast is for a bit of rain, but we are still eager!
Blue hulled 24' Eaglecraft. We'll have the coffee on if it's cold.

Still haven't ventured into Toba this year but still plan to. I think I'm gonna leave the prawn gear at home and focus on fishing. Does anyone know of any spots to moor overnight at or around Toba? I'm probably going to travel north thru Lewis or Haddington coming from CR. I have a 17' boat and I am going solo. ( kinda my thing) I have a goofy contraption I have made to sleep right on the boat.
Having said that, for safety's sake I don't really want to anchor if I don't have to; would rather tie up to an old dock or something. Not sure if any of the govt docks would approve of such a thing. Any one from the area know of such a spot?

Teakerne Arm has a dock but can be busy. If you bring a tent there is even a place to set it up. There is also numerous log booms you could laso onto I am sure.

Aroumd a 50lb Hali came out of toba not to long ago. Homfray Lodge annual derby going on this weekend. Top fish was around 25lb I believe.lots of teeners

Toba

We had a real grind up at Toba this weekend.
All our fish came from Amor Pt. on the flood.
We would pick two springs up on our first pass then nothing until the next flood.
Good thing we were around for three floods!
We travelled pretty well between floods, log dump, Church house, Frances Bay with no keepers.
We ended up with three teeners and three all around the 20 mark.
The change in weather must have got the fish moving.
Wonderful area and the weather kept on improving from Friday onwards!!

We had a real grind up at Toba this weekend.
All our fish came from Amor Pt. on the flood.
We would pick two springs up on our first pass then nothing until the next flood.
Good thing we were around for three floods!
We travelled pretty well between floods, log dump, Church house, Frances Bay with no keepers.
We ended up with three teeners and three all around the 20 mark.
The change in weather must have got the fish moving.
Wonderful area and the weather kept on improving from Friday onwards!!

So you were up Bute. Toba is a bit of a run from there.

Planning a trip in that area..kinda..(Little Dent Is) May long weekend.
Never been but might try to get over that way..any info pm or other wise would be much appreciated.
Good luck guys

Never did get up that way .
Had a "Houston we have a problem " issue..was able to run @2200rpm to get back from Little Dent without all it's oil puking out the dipstick.
Blew out the side/bottom of #7 piston.
Have re&re with new crate engine and back in business.
Just breaking it in now.

Still hope to get up that way sometime this summer..
Thanks goes to all for the info on area.
20160522_092417.jpg
20160518_123625.jpg
20160522_092402.jpg 20160531_112500.jpg

Last edited:
Damn! Get a little blowby from that I'd say.

How lucky that wasn't a catastrophic instant-failure and you made it back with a somewhat running engine! Wow

Never did get up that way .
Had a "Houston we have a problem " issue..was able to run @2200rpm to get back from Little Dent without all it's oil puking out the dipstick.
Blew out the side/bottom of #7 piston.
Have re&re with new crate engine and back in business.
Just breaking it in now.

Still hope to get up that way sometime this summer..
Thanks goes to all for the info on area.
View attachment 27920
View attachment 27921
View attachment 27922 View attachment 27919

I would be very interested in performance/economy of that engine. I assume you were running a 5.7L before? Is the 357 300hp?

Has anyone been up Toba or Bute lately? Thinking of running up from Powell River Saturday .

Last reports I got were a few weeks ago and they were good. Regardless if you got the green light for a trip up that way go regardless. You can always fish a few places on the way up or back as well.

We are thinking of heading back to Bute this Saturday as well.
Have heard scratchy reports, but it seems to be spotty everywhere in area 13 right now.

Any recent reports from Toba/Humfray Channel? Planning on a trip in the next few days and would like to try this area if the reports are decent. Thanks.

Back