2016 Sooke Reports

Outsider's viewpoint from south of the border: Lighten up guys this place is starting to look like bloody decks!!!

I visit your forum for a nice gentleman's viewpoint on fishing the Salish, not to read arguments.

Plenty of fish on this side, like Jackel said, just go fishing!

There is so much bait on this side of the Straits that the Fin and Humpback whales are showing up for dinner. Guys are getting Chinook along Ediz Hook using flashers with a Coho Killer or the usual hoochie colors. Jigs (Point Wilson Darts, Dungeness Stingers and Crippled Herring) will work also out on the Humps and deeper along Ediz Hook. Mooching works if a guy knows what he is doing.

Fishing is fun, go out and have some!

Taking my brother Peter out for his first time salmon fishing this week! Fingers crossed I can get him into a fish or two. Loaded the reels up with 40lb just incase he is a little tough on the gear.

We all love fishing that's why we read this and post on here.
Some guys posts are negative(results) any they consistently post. These guys love fishing!
Some guys post positive we alllll like to brag!
Some guys post negative(are just douche bags this happens on all online forums )

Go read the Victoria reports they have light humour in there reports

I'll quote Scott craven
"Hmmmm... Halibut "boner" soup eh ?
sounds interesting;):p"

Seems a lot more inviting on there report page.

how bout we just get back to reports.
Rather than back and forth at each other BS
Because it's getting old

Have fun, catch fish big or small it's usually a laugh anyhow!

I'll quote Scott craven
"Hmmmm... Halibut "boner" soup eh ?
sounds interesting;):p"

how bout we just get back to reports.
Rather than back and forth at each other BS
Because it's getting old

Have fun, catch fish big or small it's usually a laugh anyhow!

Yep, especially the boner soup. Gotta try some of it.

Not being negative but it was slow for us this morning. Fished Otter, Muir and Donaldson and only had 1 hit.
Saw 1 fish caught at Muir.
And to add insult to injury my crab trap in the basin went "missing". All legal with name and phone number on a buoy but I guess it grew fins and swam away.
At least I was with good company and it was a nice boat ride.

Outsider's viewpoint from south of the border: Lighten up guys this place is starting to look like bloody decks!!!

I visit your forum for a nice gentleman's viewpoint on fishing the Salish, not to read arguments.

Plenty of fish on this side, like Jackel said, just go fishing!

There is so much bait on this side of the Straits that the Fin and Humpback whales are showing up for dinner. Guys are getting Chinook along Ediz Hook using flashers with a Coho Killer or the usual hoochie colors. Jigs (Point Wilson Darts, Dungeness Stingers and Crippled Herring) will work also out on the Humps and deeper along Ediz Hook. Mooching works if a guy knows what he is doing.

Fishing is fun, go out and have some!
Mako
How deep are you guys fishing on the U.S. Side this year?
Thanks
Stosh

Out this morning at muir, kept 3 low teeners and released 4 smaller. Definetly a few fish around.

Hey Andrew, are you using the same leader lengths on the anchovy and herring as the Sandlance? Picked some up at Peetz a few weeks ago for my son and he wants to use them for the derby this weekend.
Cheers
Turns out my son wanted bait. My dad took the AP anchovy spoon and boated a 26! I think my kid will want it tomorrow lol

Mako
How deep are you guys fishing on the U.S. Side this year?
Thanks
Stosh

Along Ediz Hook, most guys fish 100 to 140 feet, the current and troll patterns run parallel to the Hook. I like to go a little deeper, 160 to 180 feet when using the downriggers, gets me away from the crowd and fish are there. I run the cannon balls 5 to 10 feet from the bottom. Release is 5 feet above the cannon ball. Gets deep very fast north of the hook, up to 600 feet.

When I mooch or jig out on the Humps (a series of ledges and drop offs west of Ediz Hook) I am usually in 140 to 180 feet of water. My favorite ledge ruins east-west and it is easy to fish. I have caught Chinook at 300 feet mooching when the current is slow enough to reach the bottom with a 10 ounce weight. One of my mooching rods is built heavy for this fishery in order to handle the weight.

I have caught halibut from 60 to over 300 feet deep: Green Point area I start a drift at 60 feet, the current takes you parallel to the shore line. Work my way out to around 240 feet or so. We can fish the Rockpile during Halibut season, it is 6 miles north of Ediz Hook and is about 140 feet, rapidly deepens on both sides to over 300 then drops to the 600 ft depth of the straits. I start in about 200 feet and drift across the 140 ft area, pick up the gear and run back and do it again. Can't fish this area in strong tides, too much current.

Anchoring is becoming popular on this side for Halibut, especially in the Green Point and Freshwater Bay areas. Anywhere from 60 to 150 feet deep. Lots of big sand and gravel areas at both locations. I prefer to drag big baits or jig with 8 to 16 oz jigs.

Last edited:
Along Ediz Hook, most guys fish 100 to 140 feet, the current and troll patterns run parallel to the Hook. I like to go a little deeper, 160 to 180 feet when using the downriggers, gets me away from the crowd and fish are there. I run the cannon balls 5 to 10 feet from the bottom. Release is 5 feet above the cannon ball. Gets deep very fast north of the hook, up to 600 feet.

When I mooch or jig out on the Humps (a series of ledges and drop offs west of Ediz Hook) I am usually in 140 to 180 feet of water. My favorite ledge ruins east-west and it is easy to fish. I have caught Chinook at 300 feet mooching when the current is slow enough to reach the bottom with a 10 ounce weight. One of my mooching rods is built heavy for this fishery in order to handle the weight.

I have caught halibut from 60 to over 300 feet deep: Green Point area I start a drift at 60 feet, the current takes you parallel to the shore line. Work my way out to around 240 feet or so. We can fish the Rockpile during Halibut season, it is 6 miles north of Ediz Hook and is about 140 feet, rapidly deepens on both sides to over 300 then drops to the 600 ft depth of the straits. I start in about 200 feet and drift across the 140 ft area, pick up the gear and run back and do it again. Can't fish this area in strong tides, too much current.

Anchoring is becoming popular on this side for Halibut, especially in the Green Point and Freshwater Bay areas. Anywhere from 60 to 150 feet deep. Lots of big sand and graval areas at both locations. I prefer to drag big baits or jig with 14 to 16 oz jigs.
Mako 22
Thanks for the info
Stosh

Curious what leader length you used on the AP anchovy spoon. Thanks.
6 feet for spoons and anchovie teasers is the standard leader length from your flasher and 3 feet for a hoochie from your flasher. We use those lengths and are never disappointed :)

Fished from 0530-300. Beachy and Posession. 2 salmon struck the gear. One was a shaker and the other came unbuttoned. Pretty slim pickings! Saw 1 other fish hooked.

Cheers

Out for afternoon fish yesterday.. Sloooooow !! Oh nice day on the water though. Off to Renny for a week, change of scenery..
Same as us yesterday pm. Fished a pass or 2 in Becher Bay, then the Head--tried shallow, deep (185) and everything in between with spoons and bait for no hits. I tried going out along the flood tide line angled out from Beechy for coho but couldn't find any takers. There is fish showing way down deep-200-400 ft. But I can't touch them with a 15 lb ball. It was a beautiful sunny PM tho and we consoled ourselves by going for supper-- excellent Indian food at Turmeric. We are lucky to live where we do.
T2

image.jpeg Fished Beechy to Donaldson this morning, early rise, beautiful morning with good conditions, to me anyways, for how I like to fish. Landed a nice 20 lb'er that fought like a bull. Missed another big hit on my wife's side shortly after the first one landed :(

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Nice fish there! Was a great day out so we decided to run from cheanuh to otter. Boated a 15 pounder around 930. 43 feet off of 2nd rock on chovy and released a couple small ones. Lots of eel grass mostly hidden stuff too so checking lines a lot is the norm these last few days.

Problem is YOU say no fish didnt see a thing... you went by me and after we landed our 3rd of the day YET you say didnt see a THING...i dont care, continue putting up negative stuff thats what I really dont like its like there is NO fish here!!!! there are a few fish around you have to look at whats going on just not in your boat at the end of your rod...
YES its a weird and slow year up and down this coast EVERYWHERE . like i said before if you dont like it take up golf....

First time reading this forum in a while.....kind of funny how this Wolf dude apparently hates all the negative stuff but posts a bunch of negative stuff!!??

Anyways, trolled Aldridge to Secretary today - we picked up a couple under ten and a 27. July has been very spotty for me with a few skunks or coming home w one under ten.

I would like to say "THANK YOU" to all the Volunteers & Organizers for Sooke Salmon Enhancement Derby. Had a great time, got some fish, (Not the Winner) will be back next year. Congratulations to all the winners in the derby. :):):)

Back