Solo netting tips

A great way to bring up the second Rod/ball is to tighten down your drag and drop the ball until the clip pops. Once it pops bring the ball up. Of course you need to be fishing gear shallowish in deep water. Buddy suggested that one and it works slick!

Cheers

A great way to bring up the second Rod/ball is to tighten down your drag and drop the ball until the clip pops. Once it pops bring the ball up. Of course you need to be fishing gear shallowish in deep water. Buddy suggested that one and it works slick!

Cheers
That works great for getting rigger cable out of the way, but the main line will slowly float to the surface
causing more problems when a fish runs into it ?

That works great for getting rigger cable out of the way, but the main line will slowly float to the surface
causing more problems when a fish runs into it ?
As soon as the flasher hits the surface reel like crazy ( while Rod is still in holder) and its in the boat in 20-30 seconds. Thought that one was just common sense. Lol

Keep the boat in gear till the fish starts rolling. Be patient more by yourself. Neutral too soon/fresh fish spells disaster imo.

I realize this thread is a year old, but theres only 1 bad kind of late!

A long net handle is crucial if youre fishing alone fairly often. Mines only a 4 footer which makes it awkward to jam the butt end under your pit and scoop. A 6 footer would be ideal. I also tend to leave the boat in gear without adjusting the speed for as long as possible. Ill steer out of the crowd, and try to keep the boat headed in a straight path, but most of my focus is on playing the fish. Once the fish is under control, I tend to slow the boat down but still keep it in gear. If you slow down too soon and the fish takes a run towards the boat, you stand a chance of losing it. Even a slow troll will keep your other side of gear from fouling up, which allows you to get back fishing quicker. Once you reduce your speed, the other gear should be nearly vertical, which takes some of the guesswork out of keeping the fish away from the other lines.

I dont fish on my own too often, so take it for what its worth.

I lost a big one three weeks ago when it got in the other side's gear. I lost a really big one last week when I stopped reeling to try to get the other side up. If I can get everything up I prefer to put it in neutral, get the boat downwind of the fish and net it. If I am still in gear, I use a gaff.

I lost a big one three weeks ago when it got in the other side's gear. I lost a really big one last week when I stopped reeling to try to get the other side up.

Exactly my point Tubber, I will often only fish one rod when by myself.

I realize this thread is a year old, but theres only 1 bad kind of late!

A long net handle is crucial if youre fishing alone fairly often. Mines only a 4 footer which makes it awkward to jam the butt end under your pit and scoop. A 6 footer would be ideal. I also tend to leave the boat in gear without adjusting the speed for as long as possible. Ill steer out of the crowd, and try to keep the boat headed in a straight path, but most of my focus is on playing the fish. Once the fish is under control, I tend to slow the boat down but still keep it in gear. If you slow down too soon and the fish takes a run towards the boat, you stand a chance of losing it. Even a slow troll will keep your other side of gear from fouling up, which allows you to get back fishing quicker. Once you reduce your speed, the other gear should be nearly vertical, which takes some of the guesswork out of keeping the fish away from the other lines.

I dont fish on my own too often, so take it for what its worth.
I found that a 4 ft is too short and a 6 ft is too long (too hard to move quickly) . I find that a 5 ft is the best all round size . ....

On smaller fish, you have the option of leaving the gear on the other side in the water as you can muscle the fish from getting into it.
On big fish, however, that take a good or multiple runs off the bat, there is plenty of time to get the downrigger up and hold the fish while you reel in the slack on the other rod while it sits in the rod holder. When rigger is up, release the line from clip, reel in rest of line with one hand and put rod/flasher/leader in boat. Resume fighting fish with two hands.

The key to netting solo is taking your time and tiring the fish. Also key is keeping the bag under control with a net minder scotty clip. You can play fish with boat moving but it becomes very difficult to net fish when net hits the water and boat is moving. Once in neutral and fish is on side, place net in water and lead fish into net.

This takes practice but once experienced it really is not difficult.

Be patient and play the fish. High stick, grab the line, if its under 15 lbs fling it in the boat, over 15lbs put rod in holder, gaff in gill plate with authority or gaff calmly under chin if the fish is cooperating. Solo netting is awkward.

I have read all this... yet today I blew it - not patient enough, rigger not enough out of the way. Lost one about 18-20 lbs ?? And my NET. First net, missed, fish ran - somehow my net caught the something, slowly tipped over the side and then I watched it float away handle up. Two more runs for the fish with a gaff at least, but spit the hook on the 3rd. So much I could have done differently.

Also - if anyone brings up a scotty net by secretary today.... a pm would be nice !

I have read all this... yet today I blew it - not patient enough, rigger not enough out of the way. Lost one about 18-20 lbs ?? And my NET. First net, missed, fish ran - somehow my net caught the something, slowly tipped over the side and then I watched it float away handle up. Two more runs for the fish with a gaff at least, but spit the hook on the 3rd. So much I could have done differently.

Also - if anyone brings up a scotty net by secretary today.... a pm would be nice !

Bummer. I filled the handle of my net with spray foam so it at least floats if that happens.

Filled mine with the wife's wine corks. only took a couple of weekends to get enough. Lol

I find spray foam kind of expensive considering it's pretty much a one use can. A couple strips of $1.99 pool noodle is an option as well.

Back