2016 Winter Harbour Reports

Hoping to fish out of Coal Monday-Wednesday next week. First stops will be Kains & Cliff.

Well I got some news from what I'm told on July 15 the refs are changed like everyone has been saying. I was told a line from banjo creek will emcompass banjo reef out through the red can out to the furthest point of the current Eva then north to a point just past ferrier then back into and around ferrier is closed to all fishing so ya you guessed it bajo is closed to all fishing. In return beano around to wash rocks, lighthouse monument,dollies and in all open to two springs over 45 cm for the summer season so give and take I guess guys had to fight hard to have those places open for two big fish. I haven't seen the actual new zones or rules but I'm told it's a 100% the truth. And they still haven't put them in the Dfo website go figure starts in a couple days and no new maps. Guess who's going to make lots of money in fines because again they don't post the regs as soon as there passed @$!:!@ in joke. So I urge everyone to do a little homework make sure your not in the no go zone. I'll be going up on the 20 th I'll find out by then hopefully if I get a map emailed to me by my source I'll try to post it.

Tight Lines
Billydoo

I'm on the road tomorrow, fishing Sat-Mon. Should be some good fish coming down from Haida Gwaii.

Last edited:
Well I got some news from what I'm told on July 15 the refs are changed like everyone has been saying. I was told a line from banjo creek will emcompass banjo reef out through the red can out to the furthest point of the current Eva then north to a point just past ferrier then back into and around ferrier is closed to all fishing so ya you guessed it bajo is closed to all fishing. In return beano around to wash rocks, lighthouse monument,dollies and in all open to two springs over 45 cm for the summer season so give and take I guess guys had to fight hard to have those places open for two big fish. I haven't seen the actual new zones or rules but I'm told it's a 100% the truth. And they still haven't put them in the Dfo website go figure starts in a couple days and no new maps. Guess who's going to make lots of money in fines because again they don't post the regs as soon as there passed @$!:!@ in joke. So I urge everyone to do a little homework make sure your not in the no go zone. I'll be going up on the 20 th I'll find out by then hopefully if I get a map emailed to me by my source I'll try to post it.

Tight Lines
Billydoo
I'm also in Nootka/Esperanza on the 20th for 8 days staying on the boat (Devoni) in Friendly Cove. give a call on ch 6 VHF

Just got home this morning from our yearly 5 day trip. Spring salmon fishing is extremely slow. Grants Bay, Cliffe Point and Kains Island basically non existent for springs, a few small pinks around Cliffe. Picked up 4 springs in Grants Bay 14-22lb o the first 2 days then the Orcas moved in and that was it, not one spring over the next 3 days. Headed south past Lawn Point and Brooks Bay hit a nice coho run by Solander Island all 8-10lbs. Ground fishing was fantastic of Solander @300' mark. Limited out on Hali, Lings and snapper in a few hours. Had some good weather most of the trip as its a long haul to Solander. Some big seas out by Solander 3-4meter swells so be careful. Check marine forecasts before heading out.

Glad you had good weather and a fairly successful trip! Increasingly seems you have to get lucky with your timing to get Springs and the Orca's don't help!

Well here is my winter harbour report.. We fished a day and a half on the inside out of telegraph cove, loaded up the boys for our annual trip and headed west to winter harbour via quatsino sound. Arrived Tuesday afternoon and fished through until Friday. Fished the lighthouse Tuesday afternoon and picked up one spring just outside the chute, decided to head to lippy and hit our last years tack, no fish. Only fished a few hours and headed back to the float cabin to get settled for the week. Wednesday morning ran to top knot, dragged the lines around bottom, no bait, no fish. Back to lippy and bagged a nice spring before the second rod was in the water. Started working around that area and got on the fish.. Ended that day with 4 springs, couple snapper and two lings, we had to pull the gear early to cook for the other guys and as soon as we left they limited out in a few hours. Thursday we tried kains again and boated one decent spring, didn't see anything being caught so moved back to lippy. Needless to say it was a slaughter-show.. Limits of springs, snapper, lings and one small Hali. Friday we cleaned up and limited out again.. The weather was UGLY to say the least but we battled it out.. Few double headers and a nice 24 that won our boys trip derby. all in all it appears that I actually have vision and found more nuts.(telegraph thread). Same as last year the reports at the fuel dock and the guides said the fishing was SLOW SLOW SLOW. 3 inch Bob Marley spoon with cream soda flasher, anchovies on 6ft leader on uv purple haze teaser, red stinger hook. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Well here is my winter harbour report.. We fished a day and a half on the inside out of telegraph cove, loaded up the boys for our annual trip and headed west to winter harbour via quatsino sound. Arrived Tuesday afternoon and fished through until Friday. Fished the lighthouse Tuesday afternoon and picked up one spring just outside the chute, decided to head to lippy and hit our last years tack, no fish. Only fished a few hours and headed back to the float cabin to get settled for the week. Wednesday morning ran to top knot, dragged the lines around bottom, no bait, no fish. Back to lippy and bagged a nice spring before the second rod was in the water. Started working around that area and got on the fish.. Ended that day with 4 springs, couple snapper and two lings, we had to pull the gear early to cook for the other guys and as soon as we left they limited out in a few hours. Thursday we tried kains again and boated one decent spring, didn't see anything being caught so moved back to lippy. Needless to say it was a slaughter-show.. Limits of springs, snapper, lings and one small Hali. Friday we cleaned up and limited out again.. The weather was UGLY to say the least but we battled it out.. Few double headers and a nice 24 that won our boys trip derby. all in all it appears that I actually have vision and found more nuts.(telegraph thread). Same as last year the reports at the fuel dock and the guides said the fishing was SLOW SLOW SLOW. 3 inch Bob Marley spoon with cream soda flasher, anchovies on 6ft leader on uv purple haze teaser, red stinger hook. View attachment 28599View attachment 28600View attachment 28601View attachment 28602
Wow, great report Buckethead! Good to hear the fish are still there! Looks like some descent size too.

Hit Kains yesterday from 7-12. Very slow morning. Of the half a dozen boats fishing we only saw 2 catch fish. I think we missed the low feeding frenzy. There was a few massive schools just between kains & the rock towards FWD inlet. It was maddening to look down at the sounder & see all the lil buggers thumbing their nose at us. One guy fishing in a guide boat hit 4 springs in a row between 930-1030. 35ft with green flasher & anchovy, right off the helipad. We set ours to 35 & 45 with double chovie & BAM! What started slow (until she saw the boat) was an excellent fight. Maybe 20-25 minutes of play and runs. First time in a while I've had a spring go deep on me. Boated a 22lb beauty of a female. Kept trolling for another hour or so, had both riggers pop but lost them trolling away towards WH. Wind started to pick up so we decided to head back.

We meant to head back today, but it was a long day & our first day on the water. We have everything set & ready to head back tomorrow. Launching Coal early should bring us in front of Kains around the same time (7am) for the slack low. If you're out there look for the sea dart.

I have never driven it but over the years I've talked to many that have. You drive to Holdberg and from there it is all gravel logging roads which may or may not be good depending on when it was graded, traffic and rain. Takes about 2 hrs -give or take. Never appealed to me. Launch at cole harbour or Port Alice. Much better choice IMO.

Hi Spring Fever... maybe a loaded question but just curious which area you like most. winter harbour or nootka sound? what are the noticeable differences to each area? was thinking of taking a trip to winter harbour in the fall... (mid sept)

Hey all, is there a fishing map with lot of the spots for winter harbor. Heading up there beginning of aug for first time. Want to get prawns, crab and get big hali. Salmon would be a bonus too

Back