Seaqualizer

Sculpin

This rock fish decent device has been mentioned on here a few times and I just wanted to start a thread that people can post up their experiences in.

The product website link http://seaqualizer.com/

We bought a standard unit from PNT a few weeks back and have used it for a couple of weekends now. It is adjustable with 3 settings 50 ft., 100 ft., and 150 ft. We just attach it directly to the down rigger terminal line. So far we have carefully released 5 incidental rock fish quickly and efficiently without any problems. 3 of them were caught on the troll in about 120' of water and 2 were caught jigging for lings in about 90' of water. The unit isn't exactly cheap but it is of high quality and should last quite awhile if properly rinsed with fresh water etc. after each use.

If anyone else has been using these units and wants to post up there experiences with them (good or bad) that would be great.

I think these devices will be the way of the future and they are apparently mandatory in parts of US. They have been scientifically proven to help greatly reduce mortality rates of rock fish by catch. Check out the website for more information.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited:
I have used the unit for 2 seasons and it certainly works and saves a lot of small rock fish from dying. I always have it on board. I also use my downrigger to lower the device with fish. It always releases.

Hey John,

We let a monster Yellow Eye down on one in Rivers in late June and hung around for about 10 minutes at least with no resurfacing, so looked good to me!
Great unit...everybody should have one...takes very little time to save a fish...

yup.have both models(50-100-150 & 100-200-300ft) in the boat and have had great results when I have used it..must have for anyone who is doing the bottom fish thing :)

I have and use the deep water unit, but I'm also finding a need to purchase the shallow water too.

I think I will invest in the deep water one as well because we seem to be jigging deeper this year for hali's and ling's.

those things look really cool. this year i took and modified a halibut spreader bar cut one end off and bent it down sharpened the point and used that to bring down the rock fish we released. seemed to work well just has to be a consistent down pressure on the fish so it doesn't come off to early.

I think I will invest in the deep water one as well because we seem to be jigging deeper this year for hali's and ling's.

From their site:
The Standard SeaQualizer is our original device. It has three depth settings (50-100-150) to choose from. This device is ideal for fishing in up to 300ft of water for most effective releases. As a rule of thumb fish should be released from between 1/3 to 1/2 the depth at which they are caught. So if you are fishing between 60-300 feet, this is the device for you.

Yes they work well. Our Guides have released nearly 100 bottom fish successfully this season.
They should be mandatory for releasing these long live fish.
The above comments are right on. The 50-100-150 generally works for WCVI
FOJ

Yep, I leave one rigged to a down rigger when bottom fishing and when we get a fish to be descended it is as easy as clamping the device over the jaw and firing them down a bit past the release depth. Before I hit retrieve I glance over at the fish finder where I can usually tell if they did indeed release. A large Yelloweye requires at least a 15# ball to get down to depth in a timely manner. Here in the states they gave them out to the guides and also are starting to give them out to rec fishers as well. They are a great tool to help preserve our fisheries!

Back