Plugged water tubes on outboards

Was just wondering what everyone else does, i flush every time they have been in salt water.I have a 150 yamaha and a 9.9 yamaha, seem to have a problem with the 150 almost every time, it gets plugged right at the end, so i just take a wire and run it in a couple of times and it cleans it out, it is just a pain in the a$$:mad: all the time. Any suggestions. THANKS :)

Take the copper port off the engine with a wrench and clear out as much ***** as you can with vacuum cleaner and wire. Be very careful to not break it when you take it off. You can also start the motor with this off and catch the water in a hose or container so that all the stuff gets pushed out. Good luck with it.

I would be asking the question why is it getting plugged everytime..what is plugging it???

Generally it is salt blocking it. You may find the problem goes away if you start flushing your motor with "salt away" on a regular basis. I have a big plastic drum I flush my motors with. I add salt away fairly regularly. Salt away is expensive, but it really prolongs the life of your power head. I believe they sell an attachment for the hose if you use the muffs for flushing.

I use Saltaway on a regular basis as well and have found has helped tremendously with my Honda 8 hp water tube
getting plugged.Instead of having to clear it every couple of trips I find I only need to do it every 10 trips or so.Worth the
$20.00 a liter and it seems to last a while being very concentrated.

Back