2016 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Picked through the regular wild coho and undersize springs this evening and ended up with one hatchery coho and a #15 red spring. Coho was caught on a glow white hoochie with a mini pink insert and the spring was landed with the ol' faithful #727 plug at 240' on the rigger in 250'. Another beauty night on the water

Last weekend was mediocre for me. A couple of keeper coho's and one spring that was so tiny I don't think it was much more than 16".

This morning was really busy for a Wednesday at 5am and even busier coming out. I can't imagine what it will be like tonight which is when I really want to be out. I caught several coho and a couple of springs this morning, kept one 3lb. coho and one 8lb. spring. Maybe things are turning around?

The coho was caught at 235' with a 5" - #319 plug in about 300' of water. The spring was caught with a white hoochie with black bars across it at 180' in 200' of water. 38" leader was used this time (thanks Seafever). When I finally made it to the cleaning station there were several other coho and springs about the same size as mine. I tried several spoons and got nothing. Purplish hoochies yielded coho and dog fish.

fished from noon until 7 yesterday, caught and released about a dozen wild coho's, ended up with 2 hatchery fish, white hootchies with a green stripe and the good old army truck, fished various depths from 90 to 180 in 250 feet of water

Has anyone tried out any of the Lyman Lures they sell at the FC store?? I bought a green goblin and an Ace of Spades but haven't tried them yet. Want to start using plugs to fish.. Right Ryan lol

Al

Lymans are good plugs but were primarily used in the great lakes or for trout in freshwater. I would use them for hotshoting or lake trolling.

It's all wrong!! the trick is to place a convexted virtical single large hook to the point at top surface at speeds that are less than 2.2miles and not come in contact with the plug.

Just wanted to do a shout out to Farraz at Schooner cove. I brought the French creek derby posters out to the marina and he was so hrlpful and wanted to make sure the posters went in the best places for the most visibility. You are part of what make this derby such a success. You rock. Thanks, from me and the other volunteers at the derby, the hatchery, and the fishes! :)

(sorry if you feel this posting is out of place but I know all you locals read this thread!)

I here you Seafever. I think everything works at some point but my thinking is stay with the tried and true and like you suggested before play with the leader length, speed, depth. I'm not sure how much difference the flasher really makes but I have a couple of favorites.

In the past I have bought some pretty wild looking hoochies which I still see in store but have never caught anything with them. When I look at them I want to through them out and likely will one day.

SeaFever you're thinking in the past too much... with today's Technologies in polymers and Coatings fishing for Salmon with wood plugs is actually a viable product to use. Made in Canada is an awesome way to help support our local economy and Canada as a whole. Also FYI: Tomic Lures is 100% made in Canada and there are actually 35 numbers coastwide including the Gulf of Alaska, BC, down to California that are sold every year by the thousands which produce consistently. Dreaming is one thing, but building something that works and will be accepted in the angling market is quite another. Most people don't see that side of it.

Rob gets it good to see. Yes buy in canada.

Just wanted to do a shout out to Farraz at Schooner cove. I brought the French creek derby posters out to the marina and he was so hrlpful and wanted to make sure the posters went in the best places for the most visibility. You are part of what make this derby such a success. You rock. Thanks, from me and the other volunteers at the derby, the hatchery, and the fishes! :)

(sorry if you feel this posting is out of place but I know all you locals read this thread!)

That Farraz's nature. He's a recent eastern transplant who just loves it out here. If only we could get him fishing!!

He would be really impressed that you got his name right.

interesting that this kind of chat goes on in fishing reports by "regulars" in here and admin does nothing, but when someone else is off topic they are on it pronto.

I run a splatterback Hootchie on one side and a mongoose coyote on the other almost 100% of the time in this area. It consistently produces #s. The bait doesn't vary much in this area (small herring to med herring and shiners) and even when it does these still match the hatch.

I run a splatterback Hootchie on one side and a mongoose coyote on the other almost 100% of the time in this area. It consistently produces #s. The bait doesn't vary much in this area (small herring to med herring and shiners) and even when it does these still match the hatch.
Yah but Kelly we're looking for real fisherman's opinions not part timers.;):D

image.jpg ] After a few wild Cohos at French Creek decided to change tactics and take the spoons off. We caught this nice Red Spring down deep on a hootchie.

Last edited:
excuse my ignorance kelly but what pattern is the mongoose coyote just moved back from two years in the yukon so switching from lakers back to a real fish haha.

Very slow for me the last 2 nights, everyone I talked to at the dock last nite had the same story. Was out from 5-9 and only managed 3 doggies, one of which took my dummy flasher as a lure and got itself all tangled up. Tried all combinations of spoons, hoochies, plugs and bait.

Back