Tales From The Tyee Pool...........2016....

Dave H

And so it begins, Tyee season for the rowboat crowd.

As usual, there were first day rowers out this morning and although I didn't see any I heard a couple of Painters boats were booked for today also.
I asked Bob the Weighmaster about the boat out off the bar and he said it was a younger fellow who now lives in Campbell River but originally from up-island and he was taken out last year and got bit by the bug so bought himself a rowboat and will be part of the gang this year.
Good stuff!

Sadly, we also had the first case of a couple of our local First Nations gentlemen motoring right through the pool about 100' offshore from Bob and I, standing on the clubhouse lawn watching.
E'nuff said.

As to predictions for this year, well, based on last year when the number of fish caught was good but so many of them were skinny with at least a half dozen weighing in at 29 lbs and some ounces, just under Tyee size, it's hard to be optimistic.
The Blob is still there plus the strong El Nino of this past winter warmed a large expanse so I'm thinking there may have been "poor pasture" conditions again and we might have smaller fish.

However, I'm old enough and ugly enough to know that predicting a fishery can make one look the fool so nothing I say should be taken as gospel.

Looking forward to meeting up with my trusty gang of silently suffering rod-holders once again so will be in contact with some of you soon.
Also hoping to meet some new people this year, as that's one of the things I like best about this rowing thing.

Until next time........

Here's the first crew out I spoke of.

Take care.

Last edited:
Dave, what was the total return to the Campbell/quinsam last year? Awesome work being done by the hatchery group!!!

Out of curiosity, what was the largest Tyee weighed in under club rules last season. Do you know the name of the lucky angler with the largest Tyee last season, was he a local?

And so it begins, Tyee season for the rowboat crowd.

As usual, there were first day rowers out this morning and although I didn't see any I heard a couple of Painters boats were booked for today also.
I asked Bob the Weighmaster about the boat out off the bar and he said it was a younger fellow who now lives in Campbell River but originally from up-island and he was taken out last year and got bit by the bug so bought himself a rowboat and will be part of the gang this year.
Good stuff!

Sadly, we also had the first case of a couple of our local First Nations gentlemen motoring right through the pool about 100' offshore from Bob and I, standing on the clubhouse lawn watching.
E'nuff said.

As to predictions for this year, well, based on last year when the number of fish caught was good but so many of them were skinny with at least a half dozen weighing in at 29 lbs and some ounces, just under Tyee size, it's hard to be optimistic.
The Blob is still there plus the strong El Nino of this past winter warmed a large expanse so I'm thinking there may have been "poor pasture" conditions again and we might have smaller fish.

However, I'm old enough and ugly enough to know that predicting a fishery can make one look the fool so nothing I say should be taken as gospel.

Looking forward to meeting up with my trusty gang of silently suffering rod-holders once again so will be in contact with some of you soon.
Also hoping to meet some new people this year, as that's one of the things I like best about this rowing thing.

Until next time........

Take care.
Dave
Thanks for starting up again. Last year was my first time out in the pool. Although we didn't catch anything my friend Jim and I enjoyed spending the evening with you.
Keep up the great writing and have a successful season
Let some go for me!
Stosh

Out of curiosity, what was the largest Tyee weighed in under club rules last season. Do you know the name of the lucky angler with the largest Tyee last season, was he a local?

41 1/2 lbs by Floyd Ross rowed by Brett Gardner.

Here's the link to the Tyee Club website where there is lots of info.

http://www.tyeeclub.org/

And I'm not sure just how many Chinook returned to the Campbell/Quinsam system last year but will find out. (ForWhitebuck)

Note only two fish over 40 lbs last year, reflecting the poor feeding conditions encountered one presumes.

Take care.

I come to CR every summer and stay with family. I always fish but never the tyee pool. I always watch you rowers out there and want to go do it, I will be there next couple weeks maybe have to give it a try. I know you can hire a boat from painters is that the only option there? will be following this thread! Thanks

I come to CR every summer and stay with family. I always fish but never the tyee pool. I always watch you rowers out there and want to go do it, I will be there next couple weeks maybe have to give it a try. I know you can hire a boat from painters is that the only option there? will be following this thread! Thanks

Go with Dave!!!
Stop in at the clubhouse they can hook you up with a guide.
Painters does have a very interesting guy I went with last year named Bruce "The Goose"...

Cant wait for more Dave and good luck this year man!

Over 40 pounds by rowing is still very impressive in this day and age. I like to use old plugs and spoons so I will have to give it a go before I pack it in. One for my bucket list for sure.

I always look forward to this thread and wish I could partake in the action.

Thanks Dave for bringing us updates and dreams .........

Go with Dave!!!
Stop in at the clubhouse they can hook you up with a guide.
Painters does have a very interesting guy I went with last year named Bruce "The Goose"...

Cant wait for more Dave and good luck this year man!

Bruce is one of those guys you realize " you don't know what you got till he's gone." He is a bit quirky and his stories seem a bit tall at times, but they don't come much more salt of the earth than him. He has spent more time on the water than off I'm convinced. His health is declining, but he's out there for the sheer love of guiding and being on the water.

Hello Dave, hope you have wintered well and have been pumping some iron in anticipation of a busy season on the oars! Best wishes for a good return and a few keepers in your fine boat!

Dave, what was the total return to the Campbell/quinsam last year? Awesome work being done by the hatchery group!!!

Total return of Chinook last year was 4400 I'm told.

Better than 2014 but certainly not great.

Take care.

Hello Dave, hope you have wintered well and have been pumping some iron in anticipation of a busy season on the oars! Best wishes for a good return and a few keepers in your fine boat!

Hey Rob. Wintered well indeed and got rid of a kidney stone that had plagued me all last year so feeling better this year for sure.

Boat's all shone up with a couple of new improvements I'll show you when you get up here later.

Looking forward to seeing you guys again.

Take care.

PS: Four boats out today which is really optimistic. LOL

My favorite thread as well. Look forward to your updates and storys again this year Dave. Hope you nail em this year!
Hope to make some time this year for another shot. Nothing like the tyee pool!

Bruce is one of those guys you realize " you don't know what you got till he's gone." He is a bit quirky and his stories seem a bit tall at times, but they don't come much more salt of the earth than him. He has spent more time on the water than off I'm convinced. His health is declining, but he's out there for the sheer love of guiding and being on the water.

It was awesome spending my time in the the pool with Bruce... The stories are indeed entertaining but when he said to me "if you feel anything, lift up and I will give you the three deepest strokes I have straight from the heart"
Can't ask for more than that from a guy.

Enjoy this thread every year.

Good luck Dave

Back