Dishwasher Repair???

AlK

Need a repairman to fix our Kitchen Aid Dishwasher.

Any recommendations of a good repairman in South Van, Richmond, Ladner area.

Thanks,

Is it giving you an error code? I googled mine and found you tube videos on how to fix it. No parts just a good cleaning with a toothbrush and CLR on the pump and sensors under the bottom grate.

No, error codes. I checked the thermal and door latch switches and they are good and tried to run the diagnostics, but no joy. Did a lot of googling but so far no luck.

I also have a late model Kitchen Aid Dishwasher that stopped working and fixed it myself. Considering what it costs to call a repair guy, the choice in many cases is basically repair it yourself or buy a new one. In my case the unit would stop in mid cleaning and not restart. It was possible to get it to start again by turning the house breaker for the dishwasher circuit on and off which resets the computer chip. It would run for a bit and then stop again and the stops were getting more frequent.

The problem in my case was that the unit has a system that is supposed to act like a small garbage disposal but it is very limited in capability. Things it cannot cut up (small bits of chicken bones, the small silicon feet that came unglued off of something etc.) sit in the sump and in front of the blade and imped water flow. This caused the sensor/computer to shut down the dishwasher to (I assume) prevent pump damage. The solution was to disassemble the inside plastic spray mechanism pieces and remove the lower grate and get to the sump and area where the cutting mechanism is and clean out all the hard pieces of food etc. that were impeding water flow. That was all it took to fix it.

Since then I have made sure that nothing stays on plates etc. of any size or hardness and rinse anything off dishes before they go in the dishwasher and it runs perfectly. You can Google how to take it apart.

Where I live the water is very soft but if I had to take it apart again I would also do some cleaning with CLR as per Canso’s suggestion to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
Buy an older model Kitchen Aid thats still made in the USA like I did. Got another one for my brother when his went. They keep on running and don't break down.

I had the same experience as Rockfish. I got into the part that grinds up food in the bottom of the unit to clean it out. What I found were popcorn kernels, some pieces of Saran Wrap and various pieces of plastic.

Cleaned it all up, put it back together and back in business in about 40 minutes.
I love cheating the repair man.

Back