2016 Sooke Reports

Slow this morning at Possession/Harbour Mouth. Tons of bait in there but only landed a wild coho. Ran up to Otter and it was pretty mellow too. Didn't see any nets out. Good day for the wife to practice up running her side of the boat :)

Took out 2 participants in the Consultants derby this morning. Lost one small fish at the trap early. Lost another small one at the Bedfords and picked up a nice 15# Spring at 90' using a chartuse teaser with a small anchovy. It was the guys first ever Chinook Salmon.
Hopefully he wins a nice prize.

Last edited:
Went out today from sooke and fished sheringham and otter, a few shakers and one 8lb spring. Kept it for dinner :)
77ft , anchovy in 180ft water.

Well took our daughter and colleagues out in our 5th annual Consultants Derby today from 7:30am until 1:15pm. Tried East Sooke/Trap and around Secretary/Possession. Released one unclipped coho and had one hit which came to nothing. It was by far the worst Consultants Derby for fish ever and this was the opinion of many.

Congrats to Tips Up though who managed to find first and second place fish at Muir including an incredible 30lb Derby winner. I can only admire such an immortal performance on such a very slow season to date.

That was tips??? I cleaned that one.

Good haul man, that was a nice looking cooler.

Congrats Tips! Couldn't have wished for a more deserving winner of the Best Skipper prize after so many years of loyal support and enthusiasm for this event! Today YOU WERE DA MAN!!!

Lime Ricky was also part of the Consultants derby, go team Chang.

We got on the water about 5:30, would have been sooner but apparently parking up on the road as apposed to the parking lot for the designated vehicle and trailer spots because small cars and trucks parked are in 44' spots, takes a wee bit longer to get back to the dock.

We headed to the trap, pretty slow to start off, didn't see anything going. We had a huge hit on the rod about 7:30, took the entire anchovy but left the head in the teaser head. At around 9:30, because of the amount of boats in the area, about 35, traffic was a little jammed up at times, as you can guess we got taken off our tac and forced to make a turn where we "didn't" want to go. A few minutes later on our way back to our tac, the right rod goes off, the hook is set, and handed off to a friend who gets out fishing, maybe once a year. As I hand him the rod, I look over, the other rod is going off, double header springs. After we are done dancing in the back of the boat as the fish are crisscrossing, 10' from the boat, the bigger one, about 15lb spits the hook. I land the 11lb. About 45 minutes later, we return to the area that we "didn't" want to go, rod goes off. Nice fish on, play for a few minutes, then this guy decides he's done, he must have peeled 100' in about 4 seconds, I was cupping the reel, I had to remove my hand from the friction burn I was getting. Giddy up!! After a nice fight for about 15 minutes with many head shakes and a few more quick 10-15' runs, we are able to bring this slab close to the boat, with-in about 5 feet, almost to the point of grabbing the net, as he swims across the back of the boat, he looks me in the eye, then this somebitch spits the hook. Ah I love this sport..............

All between 58-77': joanne & chrome green heads 2-2 hits on each

Great event, glad to be part of it. Congrats Tips. Good to hear the rookie lands the biggest, he'll be addicted for life now

Last edited:
Nice report Sam7. Sorry you lost the big guy - barbless hooks make for a tough contest that is for sure.

We did a pass of the Trap East and West around 8:00am but we too found it too jammed up. So we did not stay. Also I'm thinking "Given the low numbers of fish around now, what is the chances of a fish grabbing my bait out of the 80 or more on offer?".

Next time I won't mind being pushed off my tack and will watch the rods for the unexpected!!

Out for a float no keepers a couple wild cohos released around 10. Saw dfo checking gear around secretary 3-4 boats before heading east.

Any reports from out west today?

Gee English dont become a motivational speaker.... YES fishing is slow for some I see a few fish coming in NOT just on mine.. Ive looked back on my records and july has always been a tough month NOW ill say again 3 weeks of **** tides and strong winds dont help at ALL and ill put it out there ill bet anyone that 25 cents that it will improve just like it was terrible a few years back,im sure a few 30s will hit the deck this week , unfortunately you all want tyees and fish coming in to the boat every 15 mins well its not gong to happen.... (yet).
it is what it is save your money go to costco and buy your fish so you wont be dissaponted they carry everything you will want ....

I fished Sat and Sun. We got a 16.8 in the trap first light on Sat morning in Consultants. It was fairly slow day. We were lucky as there were only 32 springs weighed in.

Fished Sunday started out west. It was slow in early morning so headed out a little offshore. Lost a spring way out off Otter in 300 feet water. It ran towards boat and spit hook. That was it for us.

Took a trip for a few passes out the head and missed the quick snap at Aldridge mid afternoon. Lots if bait loaded in the bay.

Highlight yesterday is a large hourston light it up full blast at Otter and knock my kid off his seat. Why there is this obsession with running tight to Otter right through boats I don't get it. Takes a minute to go around.

Last edited:
Fished on Sunday started at Otter, saw one small Spring boated right when I got there. It turned out to be the only fish I saw boated at Otter. I had no hits at Otter, continued to Muir had a couple of really small hits but no fish. Then worked up to Sheringham where there was only 4 or 5 other boats. Caught two Springs #14 and #8 and lost another in the same size range. Fished bait on one side and Iron Noggin spoon on the other. Like my first trip out, all fish were hooked on the Iron Noggin spoon. I saw two other fish landed at Sheringham by other boats, again nothing big.

I'll do .25 with ya on the SSES derby weekend Wolf

out today in Sooke for first time this year from 7:30- 3:30. bedfords, trap, Beechy Head, Aldridge and the bay. Not much happened. released a nice sockeye, one other hit.

Well this post should not tick Wolf off....….I hope! LOL;)

Ran down to Sheringham today and arrived around 7:15am. Passed the usual flotilla at Otter but when we arrived at the light no one was there. A couple of boats arrived maybe 30 minutes later. For the first two hours nothing happened and then we had a mad runaway bite which for a millisecond I thought was the bottom. Anyway the “bottom” moved and after a good fight we landed a fat 18lb fish (83cm long for those still debating how heavy a 85cm fish can get:cool:). In the next hour we released an unclipped coho and a sockeye, but after that nothing but rockfish. We did see another fish caught on the same tack where we were successful. Also looked like a teener.

We did a couple of passes of Muir on the way back at lunchtime but no more hits.

So not a stellar day by the standards of the top guns on this forum but I now have my first summer Chinook of the season so I am a happy camper!! :)Beauty flat calm day on the water too.

Green/silver chrome teaser head and Betsy flasher at 67’

P.S. Fish was stuffed with hundreds of tiny baitfish maybe 3/4 of an inch long. Looked to me like juvenile herring. No way to "match the hatch" when they are keying on that food source.

Last edited:
Back