Cabin rental and fishing

mikeo2

looming for ideas of decent cabins and fishing on one of the interior lakes in August. Thinking west arm kootney or arrow or kin basket or kalamalka. Looking for good size lake trout or bullies or even rainbows. Have a 18 foot boat with 150hp and 9.9 kicker and downriggers along with everything else you could imagine lol.

Kootenay or Kal will give you lots of opportunities, both offer good fishing. You should see some of the Kokanee coming out of Kal.
There is very limited access to Kinbasket, it is a reservoir subject to large fluctuations in water level so not conducive to lake side resorts. It is also subject to fierce winds, no place for the average boater.

Don't forget sockeye fishing in Osoyoos, should be a good opening with the lower water temps.

I wouldn't recommend Kal Lake for fishing in the hot summer months. The times I times I have been there during the summer the fishing has been rather poor. Woods Lake can be reached from Kal via the canal connecting both lakes. The Kokanee fishing in Woods Lake was very good the times I've fished there.

Personally I would recommend Shuswap or Kootenay Lake during the hot summer months. Of the two I'd say Shuswap is the less windy of the two and more fishable. Both have good fishing if you have downriggers.

How big do the fish get in Shuswap and where would some good cabin rentals be? I've never fished any of these places, just looking for a get away from Calgary with the gf. Have two Scotty electrics. Have loads of experience with lakers here in Alberta and Saskatchewan.

I've been finding Arrow Lake really slow the past couple yrs. At the fishing derby at Shelter Bay in May I heard that even the largest bull trout didn't break the 10lbs mark which is extremely rare. usually there's a few over 10 lbs each day weighed in with winner in the 12-16 lbs range. My vote would be Shuswap or Kootenay lakes. I've caught lakers all summer long on Shuswap even with the warm waters just need to get down 80-120' to find them.

That sucks about arrow lake revvy we fiahed it hard a few years back and it was a deadly lake to fish lots of big bulls and big feisty gerrard rainbows always difficult to get those fish to the boat though. Didnt fish it this year because the all the last trips were extremely slow we really had to work for smaller sized fish none of the regular stuff was working or the norm spots.. Not alot of reports or info on the lake so wondered how its been fishing it sucks to hear the fishing is going down hill .. On another note kal lake has big fish just hard to catch them lol caught a 12lb rainbow there last year down 99feet thought it was a laker .. fish deep 70-120' and for small guys willow leaf and wedding band early morning shallow will pick up shakers good for bbq and i get few Kokanee nothin of size every time.

Any cabins on Shuswap are probably booked solid through the summer.

That's probably true, but the house boat rentals is another option if you had some other friends that might be into going with you and renting one. The fish in Shuswap can get quite large, but is specially regulated. You need to purchase a special licence for char and trout and retention is severely restricted. It can be awesome fishing though. I catch and release anyways so the special regs don't bother me. For hot weather and good fishing with big fish I don't think you can beat Shuswap during the hot summer months. Quesnell Lake in the Cariboo is another of our finest big lakes with good fishing during the summer. You may have an easier time finding accommodations there. Unfortunately a lot of places you need to book well in advance. Hope you find a place to stay to enjoy the fishing in our great province.

Back