2016 Alberni Inlet

I know how you feel jwcoast. I went 1 for 10 last week. Just retied lures with double gamakatsu hooks.Heading out Tuesday morning, no reports must mean its slow!

just back from 4 days ,
1 day sox for us , sat am , most boats ive seen in a while , the narrows were where the fish were concentrated ,
honestly , was not my day , we sucked , only 3 fish in the box ,i was shell shocked ,
definitely wasnt as hot as last week , but plenty of guys limited out by noon , ,
fish were mostly at 35-45 from all i spoke to , ( my 3 at 70 , all on the same rod )
seen a few from the forum draggin lines....

on a slightly better note , we did manage 4 springs and a couple of nice coho on Friday ,austin cree areas ,
and my buddy nailed 5 nice springs at swale on Sunday , 15-24 lbs anchovies , 50-75 feet

time to go lick my wounds , get the banana scent off my sox gear and try one last time next week ,
fish are still dime bright and large !!

( WTF when things werent goin my way ,
only to turn around and see my guy scarfin down a banana !! hmmmmmm )

:(

lster

fd

I never believed in that banana thing but I've had a few instances where a banana was somewhere in the mix on a tough day!! Does make even a non-superstitious guy reflect!! LOL

We were out for Friday and Saturday with four on board. Ages ranging from 5 to 75 (three generations). The fishing went really well for us and we returned with our limit. Everybody got in on the action from reeling fish to netting fish to having the 8 year old helping to clean the fish (very gingerly pulling some guts out but at least its a start).

Friday was steady from around 5:30 to around 9:00 and then slowed down though we still picked up the odd fish through to noon. We went out for an evening bite around 6:30 and quickly caught the last two. We tried different colour combinations of flashers and hootchies that day. We were running four rods and felt that a green flasher with a mini pink hootchie with a #6 straight hook worked the best followed closely by a purple flasher and pink/black hootchie. Leader length was around 22 inches. Caught fish from 35 to 70, but 35 to 45 seemed the best.

Went out Saturday morning very eager though the kids were understandably bleary eyed. Hit a triple header right away then boxed another... after that the action just stopped. Wondered what was going on. At around 7:30 we sped the boat up a bit and bang, the bite was back on. Funny but going faster was the ticket that day for us. We went into the zoo that was the narrows and landed 12 fish in 3 hours. Our hook up to landing percentage was pretty good even with the 5 year old reeling backwards (letting the fish out) because it was easier.

Fish were nice and silver and bigger than last year (the only other time we have been). It was a great Canada day weekend and the staff at China Creek were wonderful. We didn't go out Sunday morning because we were maxed out but others who did seemed to do pretty well.

SOMASS SOCKEYE BULLETIN # 5 – 2016 Date: June 30, 2016

Somass Sockeye Stock Assessment Update

Pre-season forecast:

Somass (Great Central and Sproat) – “Abundant Range” 700,000 – 1 million

Henderson Lake sockeye outlook ~ less than 15,000

Escapement to June 30: ~ 275,000

Test Fishery: Seine vessel Nita Maria June 20th- 21st (not restricted by seine free zone) Estimated 30,000 outside Ten Mile Point and inside 60,000. Total 90,000 in the Inlet.

Forecast: Runsize upgraded to 1.1 million

Catch Estimate: ~ 396,263 Somass First Nations – 142,432

Maanulth First Nations Domestic harvest – 15,838

Area D Gillnet – ~ 119,278

Area B Seine – 89,000

Recreational – 21,096

Test Fishery – 8,619

NEXT WEEK’S FISHING PLANS: (Changes are possible on short notice.)

First Nations

Tsu-ma-uss (Hupacasath & Tseshaht)

Economic Opportunity

Tseshaht First Nation - Communal Drag Seine Friday July 1st to Saturday July 2nd daily from 5 am to 12 pm at Papermill Dam Pool in the Somass River. Target 5000 pieces.

Hupacasath First Nation – Friday July1st 6 am to Saturday July 2nd 12 am Seine Vessel Santa

Cruz Target 3200 pieces.

Hook and Line – Food Social and Ceremonial (FSC) 7 days a week from Papermill Dam to Hook Bay except for Papermill Dam Pool.

Maanulth – Domestic use (FSC) 7 days a week Gillnet and, Hook and Line - the harvest plan may include the contracting of designated Area D Gillnet vessels to harvest sockeye. These vessels will be displaying Maa-nulth identification flags.

Commercial

Area D Gillnet – Fishery will open Wednesday July 6th 6 pm to Thursday July 7th 6 pm from

Pocahontas to Hocking Point.

Fishery will open Wednesday July 6th 6 pm to Thursday July 7th 5 am and, Thursday July 7th 2 pm to 6 pm from Hocking Point to the Clock Tower.

Area B Seine - Fishery will open Monday July 4th 10 am to Wednesday July 6th 10 am. The fishery will close earlier if target catch of 70,000 pcs is reached. Open area from Polly Point to a line 1 nautical mile south of Pocahontas Point. There will be a closed area for seines as agreed to by the Area 23 Harvest Committee. The initial seine closed area will be bounded in the north by a line from Dunsmuir Point to the pilings north of China Creek and, in the south by a line drawn from Hocking Point easterly to the opposite shore.

Recreational

May 1 until further notice 4 sockeye per day in Area 23 except for the tidal portions of the

Somass River which remain at 2 sockeye per day.

Experimental non tidal river fishery at Somass Park opened May 1st 2 sockeye per day.

For more information please refer to Fisheries Notices or contact the DFO office in Port Alberni at

250 720-4440

Area 23 - Alberni Inlet

Seines open from 10:00 hours Monday, July 4 to 10:00 hours Wednesday, July 6,

The run was reforecast June 30th to 1.1 million. The commercial allocation for
Seines and Gillnets at this run-size is 404,017. Seine allocation is 242,410.

The target catch for this opening is 65,000 sockeye.

Report from Monday - we decided to take in the Alberni fish for the first time. Launched from China Creek, fished from 5am-10 am. 2 bites, neither stuck. Zero catch for us. Seemed some had a fish or two, one boat we spoke with got 4 from 530 to 6am, then nothing. We just missed that bite somehow. There were others with nothing like us though.

Lots if boats on the water, and we did what we were advised - follow the boats! ☺ visited the lines across from China Creek, the narrows and down to the old sawmill area, and took a run further down the inlet to take a look at the end of the am. Saw the seiners getting started at 10 am. Also watched a massive tug and barge laden with logs pull through the inlet, and saw it later downtown fighting the wind. Sure looked like the barge was listing!

A good first introduction to this fishery, will be back.

Good number of fish up river already! Looks good for the future!:)

We were up at Great Central lake weekend before , cruising on the lake we seen sockeye boiling everywhere ,stopped on top of the boiling fish looked down
and saw a massive school just slowly cruising in a tight group was unreal ,fish were shiny bullets still , guess this is going to be the killer year
for future big fish big run ...in the past 3 years i've never seen fish boiling like that at Great Central ... wish i had the go pro .

Weekend report for us:
Friday 4 of us limited in 2 hours at the Slide. Fish 25-40 feet biting anything pink. Nice small schools showing on sounder to work on
Saturday slower for us. 5 fish in morning and 3 more on an evening fishery, same place, same depth, same gear
Sunday another good day for us but fish deeper. We ended up fishing down to 70 feet.
Monday very slow, 3 fish in 4 hours of fishing. Not much seen on sounder

This week may be crappy with the seines fishing to their number but hopefully next weekend might see some sun and maybe a build up of fish again. I just remember this cycle 4 years ago and my sockeye catch numbers were tragic compared to this year:)

Guys, looking at the latest test seine data there are still a lot of fish out there. Also 4 chinook in the test set at pochahontas

Jul 04 2016 1 1 Ten Mile Point 57
Jul 04 2016 1 2 Pocahontas Point 60
Jul 04 2016 1 3 Limestone Island (Opst) 5
Jul 04 2016 1 4 Chup Point 110
Jul 04 2016 1 5 Pill Point 64
Jul 04 2016 1 6 Coyote Bluff 132
Daily total 428 0 0 0 0 6 1 0
Jul 05 2016 1 1 Hocking Point 16
Jul 05 2016 1 2 Sproat Narrows 50
Jul 05 2016 1 3 Underwood Cove 706
Jul 05 2016 1 4 Dunsmuir Point 10
Jul 05 2016 1 5 China Creek 257
Jul 05 2016 1 6 Follinsbee Creek 36
Daily total 1,075

Any sox reports for today would be appreciated. Planning to go up tomorrow but this rain doesn't look promising.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back