2016 Nanaimo Reports

Left the salmon gear at home today and went out past entrance to try for some prawns. Soaked the traps for a couple hours in known producing spots and came up with a big ZERO...

We were rewarded with this guy while we were getting blown around waiting for the traps to soak! I will be leaving the traps at home for the rest of the summer as my last 2 prawning attempts has netted 1 tiny prawn...
i herd even the commercial prawn season was an epic fail this year.. Tough sleddin out there...

Had another decent day on the water today. I had a 3 inch gold lure that caught just about every fish today. I managed one 10lb spring, so many coho I honestly didn't keep count, (I was trying to limit out with one more spring, and I was fishing 240 feet on the rigger, still picking up coho down there, holy) It came to a point I had to catch a fish on another lure before I quit for the day. Finally, after throwing every common lure out there, I caught a coho on a white hootchie. That was enough sun for me. I didn't mention that that lure also picked up sole, rock cod, dog fish, (the ling was on bait). Confession time, as I lost a spring trying to net it on one the side I had cleared the downrigger out of the way, and he wanted to go to where the other rod and downrigger where. The cons of fishing solo. Sure was a good day not to be working...

Someday, your report is very informative and motivating. Thanks for sharing. I hope I will be able to catch a few too...Always learning...

I can't believe how easy it is now to post pictures. Thanks to whoever set this up. When I get to Nootka in 4 days I'll be able to send some pics.

That's awesome. Might as well look at what's on the bottom instead of trying to catch a Chinook right now lol. Oh I hope it picks up soon. At least the coho give you something to do out there.

Went out yesterday. First time trying with herrings...got a 11lbs female Chinook at 175 feet of Fingers.
Choppy waters, glad I had a fishing partner to net the fish.

Happy Canada Day!
Quick question(s) for the group, what is the ideal leader length for spoons?(plan to try for coho and springs locally) Also are there any other good wind/wave sites to check besides environment Canada and Big Wave Dave?
Thanks
BL

There is windyty also but I find it not that accurate . I mainly use the two you mentioned but bwd forcast 5_10 this morning but got up at 4:30 and it's blowing 18 knts at entrance so back to bed.

Happy Canada Day!
Quick question(s) for the group, what is the ideal leader length for spoons?(plan to try for coho and springs locally) Also are there any other good wind/wave sites to check besides environment Canada and Big Wave Dave?
Thanks
BL
Hey Bruce Lee, I prefer about 6 ft leader for spoons and anchovies. I don't usually target Coho but seem to get them with that setup too!

Fished Neck Point yesterday in the wind, not a sniff. Enviro Canada predicted light winds and Big Wave Dave predicted 15 knots and it was right on. The answer to the wind is to retire and just go out on nice days:) Back to sockeye next week.

Happy Canada day to all
The wind guys all hit and miss last week one said wind SSW other said wind NNW lol, luckily I have a view of the fingers and a spotting scope focused on it at all times and even then can change an hour later.

cheers

I like to use FishWeather app. I like the fact it tells me the current wind at places like Ballenas and Entrance, and many other spots I like to fish.

I like to use FishWeather app. I like the fact it tells me the current wind at places like Ballenas and Entrance, and many other spots I like to fish.

Ditto on fish weather app. I started using it last year and it's forecasts were spot on. The last week I've noticed their wind forecasts were of by a fair bit though. I was pretty surprised because I've found it super accurate in the past. Still a super useful app even if the forecast is off because it has real time wind reports for tons of areas. Also includes many local tide forecasts in the app as well. Great free app.

Just some pics from my last two reports. I thought it would help due to the wind lately lol. (It will calm down again).

I really like fishing out front of my home town. Seems later than last year and last year seemed late.

Silva Bay derby.

Mitch's second spring ever caught after the derby was over.

We nick named this spot Hamburger Hill ha ha.

Picked up a few on that hump. Nothing big but still nice eaters.

Who needs KFC when you can have a bucket of crab......

Continued....

Fishing off Entrance one night last week.

Jake hooked up.

Short and fat hatch job.

Lots of life out there.

I picked this one up falling off a cliff into no man's land lol. It put up a great fight and was a struggle winching it all the way up.

I never get tired of the sunsets out on the water off Nanaimo. Simply amazing. Such a great place.

One last shot from the sounder coming in. The Chirp shows the salmon attacking a bait ball.

I hope the weather calms down and looks like some of the photos I posted. Love calm evenings off of Nanaimo. Good luck out there folks :).

We are out West now.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited:
Some wicked shots off the HDS John...here's to hoping for a weather shift, hope to run across next weekend.

Guy

Back