Vancouver dragon boaters concerned about safety after 'reckless' charter encounter

The dragonboaters are the equivalent of bicyclists on the ocean. They think they own the ocean, and rules be damned. I had a close encounter at the ramp of all places a few days back. A guy pulling out a war canoe at Vanier backed down the ramp with his 40 foot trailer and came within 6inches of hitting my boat with his trailer as I was at the finger of the dock at Vanier. When I called him on it he informed me he was native and this was his land I was using. Funny thing is I'm pretty sure the city and my tax money is what paid for the ramp, not his band. The Dragan boaters think they own the ocean and their mentality will inevitably lead to a collision at some point because they have no concept of cooperating with the traffic flow in false Creek.

Last edited:
HUH? The entire thing is stupid. You have an event posted months in advance. Signs everywhere. Why wouldn't operator work with the event organizers. Its a win anyways that event brings in people anyway and they might even get a charter out of it. Was an asshat move in my opinion and arrogant. Someone in kayak or rowboat still deserves same respect as someone with a larger boat. In this case we are talking about a race going on, and its pretty clear it was happening.

i am sorry about your ramp situation Thebigguy, but the fact is you are a motorized vessel and need to yield, the problem that happened this weekend is,they were on a race course, racing. fall back behind them and go on your way, to pull in front the guy was a idiot.

do i like sail boats that tack in front of me when i am fishing? NO! but that is the rules of the road and i yield to them. there will be some grumbling from me about can't they sail somewhere else and they are a--holes but i still yeild

I won't comment upon what happened this weekend, as I was not there to witness the mishap. I always yield, when the law dictates I should. That being said, sailboats do not have the right of way when trying to overtake me from the stern while trolling. Yet they often steer right up my butt expecting me to alter course. Non power vessels do not always have the right of way --THEY JUST THINK THEY DO --

Even if you do HAVE the right of way a little courtesy and common sense goes a long ways, on the roads, on the water, and in life in general. Just because you have the right of way in most situations, does not mean you should navigate though life oblivious to others around you.

Being right means nothing when a collision occurs, you could still end up dead.
Dead right.
Not a good epitaph.

according to the video the charter was clearly at fault. He turned port into the canoes against the col regs. That said these "lifestyle pursuits" should respect people who are working for a living when they are setting up these events.

Good for him. Harbours are for vessels. Want to dragon boat go to the lake. This includes boat launches. All we need is a bunch of 50 plus Birkenstock wearing hippies clogging up waterways looking for oil slicks to complain about.
You had me chuckling over your post KV1. Thanks! I needed that! :)

i am sorry about your ramp situation Thebigguy, but the fact is you are a motorized vessel and need to yield, the problem that happened this weekend is,they were on a race course, racing. fall back behind them and go on your way, to pull in front the guy was a idiot.

do i like sail boats that tack in front of me when i am fishing? NO! but that is the rules of the road and i yield to them. there will be some grumbling from me about can't they sail somewhere else and they are a--holes but i still yeild
I don't have the regulations in front of me but I thought a sailboat had to give way to a vessel with fishing lines in the water. The fishing vessel is the less maneuverable vessel.

We have lots of Dragon Boater and Kayakers on the ocean and motor boats need to use a little common sense and courtesy!
NO EXCUSE FOR BAD BEHAVIOR!

If something unfortunate happened - and this went to court - the birkenstock lawyers would have it tied-up for years. It touched on so MANY clauses in the Shipping Act/Collision regs - confined channel, power/non-power, starboard to starboard, right hand channel, etc. (http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/PDF/C.R.C.,_c._1416.pdf). Only when fishing with gear that precludes manoeuverability (i.e. restricted in the ability to manoeuver) does that fishing one work. Trolling doesn't cut it - and they were only on their way out of the harbour - not fishing anyways.

Rule 9B however - is enlightening:
"A vessel of less than 20 metres in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway."

"Races" are not listed, nor an approved clause. All-in-all - a ****** place to hold a race IMHO - and no dragonboat sign, nor municipal, nor provincial laws supersede federal ones - and the right to navigate - despite what Anita Webster thinks. The water column is federal despite the dragonboat fleet petition. Wonder who gets to be accountable for that decision on where they hosted the race? Anita Webster? As KV1 correctly pointed-out: there were other options...

Last edited:
...All-in-all - a ****** place to hold a race IMHO ....As KV1 correctly pointed-out: there were other options...
The funny part of this to me as someone who cycles around False Creek all the time- the DB dweebs are the worst-they constantly block the bike lanes with their little coffee klatches and get really ***** when told they are in people's way.

I don't have the regulations in front of me but I thought a sailboat had to give way to a vessel with fishing lines in the water. The fishing vessel is the less maneuverable vessel.

The regulation doesn't say so specifically, but the interpretation by the powers that be define that as a "Comercial fishing vessel". It basically only applies for the big boys with their nets in the water.

Last edited:
Good for him. Harbours are for vessels. Want to dragon boat go to the lake. This includes boat launches. All we need is a bunch of 50 plus Birkenstock wearing hippies clogging up waterways looking for oil slicks to complain about.

Too funny :) A little on the extremists end of the perspective, but a pretty common viewpoint from most powerboaters sick of the Dragonboats antics in false Creek. I used to keep my boat moored at the head of false Creek, and you get sick of their attitudes real quick. As a regular user of the Vanier ramp for many years I can say that their behavior their is even more self centered. They used to block the side of the dock with the ramp for 45 minutes at a time while loading people onto their canoes. They would never pull their boats to the other side of the finger to free up the dock for boater trying to launch or pull out. Just all around arrogant, and ignorant, with no respect for the other user groups on the water.

Last edited:
For a city so concerned about separating motorized traffic from non-motorized, ie "bikelanes" you'd think something would have done about this situation by now.

Perhaps this incident will spur creation of marked (buoyed off) area where the Dragonboats can pursue their pastime without totally impeding the traffic in false Creek. Here's a new pet project that won't cost millions in road renovations to correct. They do not have the right to constantly block a navigable Chanell because they are not under power. It's way overdue to get them totally out of the traffic flow in False Creek.

Last edited:
You should see the push in Nanaimo for a "special" boathouse for them and kayakers to store their crap, have parties and socialize in. Of course it is to be staffed and funded by the city(taxpayers). I don't know I see them in the harbour and avoid them like the plague just irritate me plus their always calling search and rescue for being capsized so it tells you their genius when it comes to proficiency in the water. Couldn't imagine that stuff in Vancouver must be tough for the local boating community. Like I said go to the lake or get a life whichever comes first.

For a city so concerned about separating motorized traffic from non-motorized, ie "bikelanes" you'd think something would have done about this situation by now.

Perhaps this incident will spur creation of marked (buoyed off) area where the Dragonboats can pursue their pastime without totally impeding the traffic in false Creek. Here's a new pet project that won't cost millions in road renovations to correct. They do not have the right to constantly block a navigable Chanell because they are not under power. It's way overdue to get them totally out of the traffic flow in False Creek.

Somehow they would figure out how to make that project cost millions.

Draggon boat races in false creek kinda reminds me of what a great idea it was to have a yoga party on Burrard bridge !

....And if I have to come to a roaring hault just one more time in my marina because a couple of those stand up paddle boarders cut me off on my route to my slip - I am going throw a dead pollock at them !

Reactions: Cam
Sorry , that is incorrect. fishing with any form of lines is not considered "fishing" within the col regs this includes commercial trollers.

beemer

Back