2016 Alpine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament

profisher

I thought I would re-post as the old thread has been MIA since the forum upgrade.

The 2016 tournament winner will receive $20,000.00 CASH!

500 Total Public Tickets

Father's Day Weekend (June 18th & 19th)

Pedder Bay Marina - official weigh station

There are still limited numbers of tickets available to the general public for this years event. I believe we have about 75 tickets left now that are not reserved by participants from last years tournament. Those who bought tickets last year have until May 1st to repurchase. After May 1st all tickets not paid for go up for sale to anyone wishing to purchase the tickets. We are asking those who have reserved tickets to please re-purchase online where you can use a credit card and you will get the same numbered ticket as last year. This saves us a lot of work not having to re-do our master ticket list. First time buyers can purchase tickets online or at our retail outlets. (Island Outfitters, Wise Buys, Alpine Marine or Eagle Eye Outfitters) Retail purchases are cash only.

PLEASE NOTE: Our T-shirt order deadline is also May 1st. We will only be placing an order for the number of shirts that match ticket sales to that date. Those who buy tickets after May 1st will have to wait until after the derby to get their shirts. We will place a final order when ticket sales close and we know all sizes and exact numbers required. This to prevent wasting important funds that are intended for the Sooke River Chinook Initiative on shirts we don't need.
Our must attend pub registration nights are being held on May 17th at Darcy's in Langford and on May 19th at the Tally Ho. Those who have purchased tickets online at www.jdfderby.ca can bring their printed receipt to either of these pub nights to pick up their tournament tickets, hats, t-shirts, window stickers and rule booklets. You can also buy into the winner take team jackpots which are available in $100, $250, $500 and $1,000 buy ins. You can enter any number of these jackpots. We will be requiring that all team members are named at the time of purchase and all team members must be fishing from a single vessel. We will also be selling the exact weight and winner take all accumulator jackpot tickets once again. This jackpot sits at around $5800 going into this year's event. Cost is $20 per person and you must ante up $20 for each year the current jackpot has been accumulating. The current jackpot is going into year 3 without being won. This means someone buying a ticket for the 1st time must buy in at $60 to match those who have bought tickets each year.
This year to prevent food and proceeds wastage we will have a drop dead date for our meal order with our caterer. I have not confirmed that exact date at this time but will post it once confirmed. Those buying tickets after that date will not have a meal allocated to them. In the past there has been far to much wastage of both food and revenue that could have gone to our important Chinook project. This year we have upgraded the food to a full roast beef buffet. There will also be live entertainment prior to the meal with the local band "Consenting Adults"
Complete info, SVIAC memberships and tournament ticket sales are found at: www.jdfderby.ca

Just purchased my SVIAC membership through here and looking forward to potentially my first JDF derby!
Thanks for reposting this.

I wanted to list all our generous sponsors to date that have either rejoined us again this year or they are new first time sponsors. These sponsors are or will be listed on the derby website as well. Thank you to all for supporting local volunteer salmon restoration work. I hope many of you will support these generous companies.

Abraham's Panting
Adrena Line Adventures
Alpine Group
ATP Bait & Tackle
Bradley Smoker
Burt's Automotive
Campus Auto Group
Canadian Energy
Canadian Tire (Langford)
Carson Automotive Group
Christie-Phoenix Insurance Services
Cloverdale Paint
Coast Reels
Finest At Sea
Fish Salon
Foghorn Fishing Charters
Forsch Marine
Gizmo's Computers
Harbour Air
Hindsight Fishing Charters
Home Hardware (Sidney)
Hot Spot Lures
Howie's Car Corral
Industrial Paint & Plastics
Intercon Marine
Island Outfitters
Islander Reels
Marty's Mountain Cycle
Northwest Aluminum Craft
Oki Tackle
Out of the Blue Designs
Pedder Bay Marina
Peetz Outdoors
Peninsula Co-op
Polar Bear Outdoors
Prancing Horse Autobody & Paint
Precision Marble
Protroll Fishing Products
Scotty
SG Power Products
Sherwood Marine
Shockwave
Sooke Salmon Charters Ltd
Stormtech
Tom Martin
Trotac Marine
Victoria Plating
Wise Buys

Last edited:
I just received confirmation that we will have a couple of Yamaha 9.9 engines on the prize board this year. Both SG Power and Sherwood Marine have teamed up with Yamaha to provide us with these great prizes this year. We will soon be building our prize board and will post it once it has been finalized.

Over the last couple of days the following sponsors have added there support.
Albrite Lighting
Butler Bros
Capit
Fire Safe
Road's End Contracting

Thank you for your support. I'm still working at bringing more companies on board as time permits.

I have posted most of the major fish prizes on our website and will have the last info added asap. Check out this years prize lineup at www.jdfderby.ca
I would also like to welcome back Blackline Marine as a generous tournament sponsor. We also have Sidney Anglers, Mercury Sales & Service and Mercury marine back this year.

Many of you are probably now becoming aware that there are negotiations going on right now in regards to the recreational fishery in areas 19 and 20. If this results in unfavorable fishing restrictions that would impact the tournament to negatively we have already made arrangements for moving the event to alternate dates. We have secured the banquet facility for the 3rd weekend in August. If we need to move to the 3rd weekend in August all tickets already bought remain valid. Anyone not able to attend the tournament that weekend would receive a refund or tickets at no charge for the 2017 tournament. The 2016 Alpine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament will run this year and we will ensure that we do what is required to make the event meaningful and fun for everyone.

It is now official. The Alpine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament is now scheduled to take place on Saturday August 20th and Sunday August 21st. We have decided to move to the new dates because of the continued uncertainty with the early season fishing regulations from DFO. While we can operate the tournament with either zone 1 or zone 2 restrictions we cannot operate in a vacuum and with a threat of no salmon fishing not off the table. It is critical that the tournament is a big success this year as the proceeds are going to help with SVIAC's Sooke River Chinook project that is going forward this fall. The August dates will give us all (organizers and participants) the certainty of normal fishing regulation. The new dates will greatly improve the ability of the organizers to plan the event and should ensure the event does sell out.
Anyone who has already bought their ticket(s) and can't make the new dates will be given a refund or a credit towards the 2017 event, their choice. Quite a few tickets that were being held for those who were grandfathered from the 2015 tournament were not claimed and are now available for the general public. The easiest way to purchase tickets is with a credit card on the tournament website at www.jdfderby.ca A limited amount of tickets are also available at Island Outfitters, Wise Buys, Alpine Marine and Eagle Eye Outfitters.

Yes, pub nights are this week as planned. I talked to Rollie earlier and he confirmed. Darcy's in Langford tonite May 17 th and Thursday May 19th at the Tally -Ho 5-9 pm both nights. I know Rollie wants everyone to visit the jdf derby.ca and toggle around the menu, schedule, tickets, ... ect ....

It was nice to have a good turn out tonight at Darcy's Pub. We are happy that there were minimal casualties with our unfortunate but necessary change of dates for the Alpine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament. We knew a few would be inconvenienced but those who in that position were very gracious and understood why the organizers had to make this call. We also sold about 50 of tickets for the protest derby called the Kiss My Chinook Derby. SVIAC is putting on this one day stripped down derby on Saturday June 18th with the weigh in at Pedder Bay Marina. There is a guarantee of a $2,000 cash prize for the largest salmon and a $2,000.00 cash draw prize for simply buying a ticket. Once ticket sales cover costs then additional ticket sales funds will be split with 50% going towards the prize and 50% going to the Sooke Chinook project. Cost is $50.00 per ticket or $25.00 for those who already have their Alpine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament tickets. This is a no frills derby with the winners announced just after 4pm when the scale closes at Pedder Bay Marina. Complete details at www.anglerscoalition.com Our next pub night is this Thursday the 19th at the Tally Ho from 5-9pm. We will be selling tickets to both the Alpine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament (August 20th and 21st) and the Kiss My Chinook Derby (June 18th) We are also selling the team jackpot entries and the accumulator jackpot entries. SVIAC memberships are also available as are extra meal tickets for the JDF banquet.

Next pub night will be Wednesday June 15th from 5pm to 8pm at the Tally Ho Sports Bar. We will have any tickets that were purchased online at www.jdfderby.ca ready for pickup as well as window stickers, hats and t-shirts. You can also enter the Team and Accumulator Jackpots. We will also have tickets available for the protest "Kiss My Chinook Derby" going on June 18th. Tickets for the Kiss My Chinook Derby are $50.00 or $25.00 for those who have purchased an Alpine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournamnet ticket. If you pay $50.00 for your ticket you will get a free 6 month SVIAC membership included. This will allow you to save $50.00 on your Alpine Group Juan DE Fuca Fishing Tournament ticket. (2 derbies for the price of one) If you are a current SVIAC member and ot entered in the Alpine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament you get your ticket for $40.00. ($10.00 discount) Visit www.anglerscoalition. for more details about the protest derby.

New Date Added To Poster

Ha, you are right!,, funny I didn't,t notice this until now. Well I'm not driving around to 100 posters do fix them a 3rd time. At least the dates are right. You are the 1st person to notice it.

We are happy to announce that Cheanuh Marina is back as a Platinum level sponsor again this year. We also would like to welcome South Island Marine as a Silver sponsor to the tournament. We would also like to thank Atlas TV and Stereo for helping us with our raffle prizes. SG Power Products and Trotac marine have also helped us out with our raffle prizes.
We will have 10 great prizes up for raffle draws at the awards banquet. We will be selling raffle ticket bundles at the banquet for $10.00 and $20.00. The lineup of raffle prizes so far include a 50 inch Samsung LED smart TV, a Storm Jet 2700 psi gas power washer with Honda power, an Icom VHF radio, Bushnell Binoculars, LED Deck light, 2 deep cycle marine batteries and a 1 night stay, dinner for 2 at the Sooke harbour House combined with a 6 hr fishing charter with Sooke salmon Charters Ltd....there will be 10 prizes total.
We have just added a Trophy Mooching Reel as the Hat & T-shirt draw prize...you must be wearing the 2016 tournament hat and t-shirt to win. We have also added a hidden weight prize - a Canon SL1 SLR camera. We will be adding many more prizes in the coming weeks as I find the time to go shopping!!!! (one of the fun parts of the job)
We have a pub registration night for those who have bought tickets and who have not picked up their window stickers, hat and t-shirts. It is Wednesday June 15th from 5-8pm at the tally Ho. It is apparently wing night that night....1 pound for $5.50. It is also Nascar Night, they have a meat draw and music bingo is played. I'm told it is usually a busy night. They have given us the VIP room so that is where you will find us.

The tournament website home page and prize board has just been updated with some of the latest donated prizes along with the generous sponsors who contributed them. (www.jdfderby.ca) There are still more to come and they will be added as they are confirmed. We are up $85,000.00 in sponsored prizes and we have another $7,420.00 in the exact weight accumulator jackpot. We expect the accumulator jackpot to grow to about $10,000.00 this year once all participants have come through the pub nights and have had a chance to sign up again this year. Last year there was a further $12,000.00 in cash awarded to our Team Jackpot winner who was entered in both the $100 and $250 Team jackpots. This means that well over $100,000.00 in prizes will be available to this years participants!

There are more tickets available than have been sold...ticket sales dried up with the closure rumour and why we moved it to August when we knew the fishing rules would be normal for that time of the summer.

Back