2016 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Out this morning at Sangster. Fishing was rocking all morning until 9:30. Nothing large. Almost all the fish were either just at legal size or over by 5 or so cm. :eek: Lots of shakers too. Kept releasing that last fish looking for one large and got stung by the greedy whitie.

Ton of bait stacked up until around same time the bite shut down, which explains the sudden shift in fishing.

113 feet on small spoons was ticket. We stuck around to see if tide change would fire them up...nope. She was a tad lumpy, good thing for a fat bottom girl (Grady) ;)

I was hoping to get over to Sangster this week but does'nt look like that's going to happen according to the forcast

Was out last night on the humps had my two fish within 40min. Tons of acton but no size to them. The two keepers were 8-10lbs. Splatter back needle fish hoothie down deep in the mud. Was great to see the wind hold off beautiful evening!

The forcast looked promising as far as the wind goes so off I went this morning. Winds at sister's was 8 and ballena's 6. Great! As I write this the winds are 3 at both yet 15 minutes ago it was so lumpy with some nice size rollers that I barely made it out of the harbour before coming back. Good thing I'm only a minute or so from the harbour. Tomorrow we'll try to get out again - must go fishing!

Yup, now they're 12 and 14, such is fishing. In a few minutes it can go from great to holy crap. Good day to fly a kite.

Yup, now they're 12 and 14, such is fishing. In a few minutes it can go from great to holy crap. Good day to fly a kite.
Howdy hedgehog. I was ready to try FC this morning also but stayed in because of winds. I find the Webcams on Big Wave Dave's helpful, both the Columbia beach and San Pareil cameras. I also found a free program on the net called Wind Predict which is pretty good most times and fairly accurate. A little more accurate showing wind gusts.

Reactions: RBL
Thanks for the tip. I do use wind predict on occasion and have found most web cams do not always have high enough resolution to be effective but does give you an idea. Sometimes the reflection off the water makes it tough to see. There's a nice pole with power out on the berm at French Creek marina. That would be a great spot for a camera or maybe even a weather station as Sister's and Ballenas do not always reflect what's happening out front.

Thanks for the tip. I do use wind predict on occasion and have found most web cams do not always have high enough resolution to be effective but does give you an idea. Sometimes the reflection off the water makes it tough to see. There's a nice pole with power out on the berm at French Creek marina. That would be a great spot for a camera or maybe even a weather station as Sister's and Ballenas do not always reflect what's happening out front.
Yes, a camera and weather station to log into at FC would a great idea. They have cameras all over the place down there. Worthwhile talking to them about I think. Going to try fishing the high tide tomorrow morning if weather cooperates.

fished the top end of Ballenas yesterday , caught and released lots of shakers , 2 fish were 2 cm short so back they went, did end up with 1 hatch coho, using skinny g spoon and a glow white hootchy depths from 90 to 180.

Out Sunday morning by Gerald and was surprised to see a 17' boat sitting high up on the rocks on the north side of Gerald. Perfectly level, quite a few fishers checking it out, anyone know the story behind it?

One 8lb spring close to Douglas, ball on the bottom, army truck hootchie, was grateful for a fish after a few weeks of too much wind and getting blanked.

Nice day on the water Sunday, wind was not too bad.
Kept 1 White Spring from over at Sangster.

Attachments

• IMG_0215.JPG
    IMG_0215.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 53
Was in a friends boat fish Sangster Sat. ... released 3 fish that were just over..a couple fell off and a bunch of small stuff...nothing great bye any means :)

Good action this morning, caught and released several undersized springs. Two coho, one hatchery about 18" and one shark (they're back). I was so busy I brought in one line. All caught on a turd (hootchie) not the other kind. Mostly fished about 140 - 180 in up to 250' of water. Alas, work was calling so only had two and a half hours of fishing. Still looking for something at least in the mid teens.

Had my lines down by 6 this morn and stayed out till just after low slack, not much action, released one wild coho and a undersize spring at the humps. Got the coho on a green splatter back at 150' and the spring on a 6" plug down deep.

I was fishing in the rain by 5:15 out by 8:15. Two small springs and one dog fish. Coyote green, white and black spoon. Green speckle back and purple haze hootchie. Mostly in 250' - 300' of water fishing from 160 - 220 feet. Winds were light so that was nice for a change. The rain started to get a little depressing and I was soaked - maybe tomorrow.

Back