2016 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Fishing Reports

Spring Chinook hit the North Island in Huge Schools!!!
Chinook- The vanguard of the massive run hit Ferrer Pt., Beano Creek & Maquinna Pt. Monday May 23. These Springs/Kings, we are told by DFO Science, are in the majority hatchery marked fish from the Pudget Sound area. These 14 – 26lb Springs will remain in our area until well into mid to late June feeding on the spawning squid and needle fish/sand lances. There is lots of bait around so these fish will be around until they have the urge to move south to their spawning grounds. By mid-June our West Coast Vancouver Island (WCVI) Chinook will be here. Yes, the WCVI Spring will be in EPIC numbers. In fact, the Esperanza Inlet and Nootka Sound Runs are going to be TWICE the average year run size. On an average year 100,000 springs enter our local waters. This season we will see over 200,000 returning to our local waters. This year’s run will also be made of a large # of 4yr. old fish.

100_3438small.jpg
100_3431small.jpg

Brian & Brian, Steve Greelus with a 22.5lb catch in Esperenza Inlet.

with a 14 & 20 lb Chinooks caught on May 23rd

at Ferrer Pt. "these guides KNOW where to find FISH"

Halibut, Ling Cod and other ground FISH
ALL have been coming in by the wheel barrow full. Basically, the Biomass is on the upswing & while the impatient fishers were waiting on the Springs/Kings to arrive they have been targeting delicious white meated fish that are very abundant throughout Nootka & Esperanza.

100_3428small.jpg
100_3443small.jpg

The Greelus's with 2 Nice Canary rock fish caught Don & Cindy Johnstone with their boat limit for their party of 6

near Black Rock in Esperenza. Chicken Halibut. They also limited on Yellow Eye Cod & Other Cod.

They fished at the Whales Tail in Esperanza.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DSC00882.JPG DSC01439.JPG Just got back from 21/2 days in Nootka. Weather was windy/nice/rough/cold/smooth you name it!! Sticker shock at the ramp-35 dollars for 2 nights road parking and a launch-50 if you stay in the fenced!! It is what it is I guess! Wonder who's going to pay that when the FN get all the fish! Ling cod and snapper were plentiful but with the new yellow eye limit of 1 a day bit of a problem-barometric release method seemed to work but tough to use in rough water. Some salmon around Beano Creek-had them dialed in and was taking fish regularly on successive passes but the wind got too much and we got blown off. Not there this morning. Couldn't get out to Bajo but from what I could gather from the radio we were probably the High liner. Great early trip-smashed my airmar p66-never felt or saw a thing. Lings were taken with standard spreader bar LED lighted squid and herring plus smelly jelly(hell of a meal). Salmon for the most part were taken on a large translucent cuttlefish with a flashing LED inside with 2 5/0 gamagatsu's in 130 ft of water with 135ft of wire out. I was really trolling for hali, but the Springs didn't want my chovies just the rubber-so we gave them what they wanted till the wind blew us off. Nothing inshore at Burdwood the monument, wash rock, had a salmon hit and release at Maquinna. Worth going-everyday will get better,fish were healthy strong fighters.

That price does seem like a double digit percentage increase compared to last year for park and launch. I am going to check last years bill which I still have somewhere. Guess they gotta pay for all the dock improvements. BTW, whenever I have parked there over a couple of days, they will negotiate pricing some times........Nice pics SF. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait till my first trip planning early July.

I got a seasons pass last year for 150.... hope I can get the same this year. about 3 months parking (compound) and unlimited launches and retrievals I believe. If it were to go up I'd prob look elsewhere to fish or launch. hoping that doesn't happen though.

Thanks for the report SF. When I was just up there I asked why it had gone up so much $85 for 5 days, in and out and parking in the "secure area" , the kid told me they were planning on making improvements. Hope they do more than just a new line on the dock.

PICTURES SAY IT ALL......

From May 27-30th

Just some of the many "Halibut. Ling Cod, Salmon. Yellow Eye, Canary and Black Bass catches

luyV74TVcgYGjBvbKIJWlKCsSiFUyy4Q5FqF0VcDTMfZFfdFxg9pHuMZrI7lrtnjLX4DwpBNZxDfYCMtaeF8Js7ODwd1-lOwvNFchMD0Bz7jHDwWYBNuRze_OYa5dIZKCzSZU7s=s0-d-e1-ft

Esperenza May Mixed Special

kcqzTfjvGGCVTYePeI87LvKW5q66-Y15XaXIQAcdQxlT5j8Rld1F6MpSPevfHjWgc0xxXMSMcg_W-l0rNtCsoHH_s3gMvjeQkgl92qXjhd8o3u6EGzW5ZNFyCatNluBOCAn00Fw=s0-d-e1-ft

55LB Hali with a great smile
NrH6ub2lhcZcbeMIx0uVRkALG3S7LE8KOVShgHq3Mzk0mDaqJEz7GV18FTVdcWYHNE2HgApRHUXDy5Nbdxv7A4pHz0bsbgnkZfVhFH4SlBbCXb1FtUNSXBdtV6VywYsIFRXz-sw=s0-d-e1-ft

25.5Lb Largest Salmon of the Day

grItfP7m_rtEDtyRRyovIL0ERiq6d_7T2O70kW5cFVQ5YjTN12h0xl4oyJQJgWbypSxwCuQQiyh5zFI2uXFa0VvpMJ7_mBctjCaDFGoWvR2aSwrlxdk0WsX7JCMsGASux6XShPghObD9=s0-d-e1-ft

Great Smooth Day of Hali Fishing

bVIcn-KYuORC4tP-qilv4XKv_07OOdeK2SisUhWUs7KLDenZ9XDPMHfuBrOM9OVLzUh-4UG-T3IIxsdp4_RnE9br0i1lAjCIIUk6D2vDykPDV3vagcZRXyju2heEBFHmLBci_yA=s0-d-e1-ft

305 LB Man with 55LB Halibut

GpjJpiJ_7ra4O0CmHq8OXV7veKe1z_UMQTxf74O5Ozkl73ykPYeXzENEkVDaEOmGeiTyXbRVIeE_33qJFFsK1VEQ6QBLadneByXR2hT18pE8OG6EBTs_jYv_N1ZcLTql1-BLAkU=s0-d-e1-ft

Limits Yellow Eye 3, Ling Cod 9, Halibut 3-20,32,50 Lbs

0gGg3jAVw96zgz0yPOoqIriIBTyXhUJVMqKnBHQkD3sq12zizXHdOcg9yl8eOPiqTpd6gUb2JHlqMRZa4IBWnO1sibuhNgeEVvQ0GW7UaQq-HK9xDZRiXzVrL6W9Dh_C7PCEPVY=s0-d-e1-ft

2 - 84 year old Gentlemaen with 2- 24 Lb Springs. All Springs were 14-24 Lbs

BF4lX1WGoDbm_srNO1sqBG54MqF8LdxtNnrK-qpe1TPFOv0f-dUOmCpqAf8WM90IvcriCYSbkapAc7s1lYrBM7XBILZgXELGU54T8QavcrO_YKqCxDVPydnEfO_0OFG24w=s0-d-e1-ft

I'm going to Nootka for my first time this August for 4 days and will be launching at Gold River and staying at Critter Cove.
My question is do you have to pay for parking your truck and trailer or is there any free parking on the road? Is that safe or even recommended?

Thanks in advance

I'm going to Nootka for my first time this August for 4 days and will be launching at Gold River and staying at Critter Cove.
My question is do you have to pay for parking your truck and trailer or is there any free parking on the road? Is that safe or even recommended?

Thanks in advance
There is no free lunch at the Gold river ramp-FN claim to own the side of the road-but that's a deal at 10 bucks a night-inside the compound is 15 a night and the launch is 15. Signs posted by the band council threatening towing. Never had a problem parking on the road (as long as you pay) but I can't say it has never happened.

I am heading up to Nootka in August as well, if you were to pay to park in the compound who exactly do you pay and where are they located. We will be leaving from Campbell River early in the morning and hope to launch early in the am at the Gold River ramp, any idea on when they get there or what the best plan would be. I am staying at a lodge for two nights so hoping to get one full day of fishing in and two half days.

There is a trailer at the entry point into the parking compound. In the summer its manned 24x 7. If they are not there, just launch park and leave a note on your truck and pay when u get back. The gates always been open every time I am there and only once was the trailer not manned. I usually launch at 0600 tide dependent and they are normally there. Check your tides as you need 3 feet minimum. Deeper is better.

Last edited:
Heading up to Nootka in 3 weeks any recommendations on good hard lures / flasher combos to run at highway?

We are heading over on Saturday for 5 nights. Book a floating house for 9 guys and 3 boats. Looks like the weather is iffy but hopefully we get some calm water. Will post when I get back.

Cheers, Rob

There is a trailer at the entry point into the parking compound. In the summer its manned 24x 7. If they are not there, just launch park and leave a note on your truck and pay when u get back. The gates always been open every time I am there and only once was the trailer not manned. I usually launch at 0600 tide dependent and they are normally there. Check your tides as you need 3 feet minimum. Deeper is better.
Thanks for the info pescador, it is my first year taking my own boat up there so it will be a little bit of a learning experience. I went last year but flew in and did a self guided trip. We had a great trip so hopefully it will be the same this year. We aren't heading up until Aug 12th so I assume most of the fish will be in the inside of the sound. Hopefully the weather cooperates and we are able to get outside for some halibut and cod as well. I am running a 20 foot thunderjet (not the offshore model) so I have to keep a close eye on the weather, any other tips, tricks or info anyone could provide would be appreciated.

Back