Level Wind Advice for Newbies

the fog ducker

wondering if i could get some advice on what level winds are recommended for the newbies on our decks once in a while, few to many break-offs last season , ( Salmon trolling ) would be nice ta have the drag set , pass the rod , Giver ,reel as fast as you can lol , i know alot of you yanks prefer them , dont need nothing to fancy , somthin that is smooth, durable , $150 ish ?? wont be used to often , nice ta have onboard

thx
in advance

felix

Last edited:
Agree on the Charter Specials the 1000 size is a bit smaller/easier to handle has lots of drag and holds lots of line.

Best advise I can give you for level winds... Leave them on your hali rods LOL. Nothing beats the thrill of a salmon on a single action mootching style reel, and nothing builds character like a good whack on the knuckles and struggling to land the fish of a lifetime with numb fingers that cant grip the reel :p

Another vote for the Charter Specials. I use them for the elderly people and kids and love them!

i use charter specials for those "special" clients. i may have a couple i can shoot ya felix. next time i am up i will check the kill room.

Felix,
I had issues with my daughter breaking everything off too with the single action mr2's and 3's
Derby got me an ARMR2 for her and now nothing breaks off, and her confidence is thru the roof as well.
just another thought
Tim

so....
anyone no much about these reels( Shimano Charter Specials TR 2000 ) , Scott gave me one ta play with , i think she needs a service , im getting no
drag resistance when i push the lever drag arm all the way frwd , and tightened what i think is called a backlash knob all the way , the reel is not locking up , meaning the wind handle keeps going backward and forward , if placed in a rod holder , its gonna keep letting line out , hope that makes sense , anyone have any ideas ? might not be worth a repair , thought id poke around a bit
or a Shimano repair shop here on the mainland ?
thx in advance

felix

so....
anyone no much about these reels( Shimano Charter Specials TR 2000 ) , Scott gave me one ta play with , i think she needs a service , im getting no
drag resistance when i push the lever drag arm all the way frwd , and tightened what i think is called a backlash knob all the way , the reel is not locking up , meaning the wind handle keeps going backward and forward , if placed in a rod holder , its gonna keep letting line out , hope that makes sense , anyone have any ideas ? might not be worth a repair , thought id poke around a bit
or a Shimano repair shop here on the mainland ?
thx in advance

felix

I think this is the fish gods way of telling you to keep it simple....and don't be so concerned with your guest's knuckles. :p

Back