2016 Campbell River Reports

planning on staying in CR Friday night then fishing Saturday. Anyone willing to share the hot spot or give me some advice on where to start at first light?

Was out yesterday afternoon and evening. One undersize. It's been super slow around here for me lately. Anyone else been getting anything?

Fished the morning up at Chatham and Green Sea. Managed two undersized at Chatham right at the top of the flood. Nothing at Green Sea for the change to the ebb. Rollin chovies.

Coming back from Toba on Sunday, we threw in the gear at Fransisco and trolled to the green can. Lots of boats, no action witnessed or experienced. After fighting through the boats for one pass, we headed back to the ramp.
We passed a lot of boats heading out at around 11, when we were heading in.

Lot's of boats out today too. Only saw one net out with a keeper. slowwwwww.

went out today for the ebb drift, all I can say is it is slow. No salmon, hooked into a hali(I think) lost due to operator error. Tried crabbing, they are all gone , lol

went out to red can today, one wild coho, one undersize ling and 3 undersize springs. 20 boats or so around red ran or "hump" and probably 50 boats around green can. lost one about 15-18 at the back of the boat. 220 on rigger in 190 of water. wonderbread spoon had the most action. beautiful day on the water though.

Slow day out there yesterday.
We had a group of about 15 boats out there, spread out from the lighthouse to Sentry Shoals.
8 springs caught, largest just a shade under 17 lbs.
Caught a scrappy 13 # at the lighthouse heading south to the hump on a plug during the flood around 1:30.
Hopefully some more show up for next weekend's derby.

Any news/ reports of fishing up north heating up. Deep water, plumper, and green sea?? May be heading that way in the near would appreciate some info.

Fished the green can and lighthouse today. Released 5-6 small chinook and coho, landed a hatchery coho and long-line-released one decent fish. Fairly slow overall.

Fished the red can this a.m, one 17.5 and a 9 pounder. One on hootchie and one on anchovies. Slow till noon the we picked up a 10 pounder by the lighthouse. The 9 pound salmon had tape worms in its guts. First time seeing that, guess i will give those fillets away to the unsuspecting.

Fishing Derby on the water yesterday. It appears that the larger fish were from up north, with some pretty decent ones down south as well. How did everybody do? I figured there would be a flood of reports on here, but alas there's not. Tell us your stories guys and gals. I wish I had one for you, but I didn't actually make it home in time to participate.

Fished the derby yesterday, and had a excellent day! Mostly stuck around the green can, landed two 12lbs springs, and a 23lb which got 5th place in the derby.

Awesome chopperdude!
We fished hump/green can/hump for most of the day with a couple good hits/misses and a few feeder fish. Ended up drifting north up past the lighthouse and picked up a scrappy little 63cm (measure twice, cut once) that my buddy had fun reeling in. Good fun for someone who doesn't fish. From there we just kept on with the tide (8 mph drift LOL) and ended up near Walcan hitting a couple more feeders on the way up. Humpbacks were up there which was a cool way to finish off the day. The salad in the water made for a LOT gear resets but all in all it was a great way to spend a day.
Traffic jam at the Rez ramp wasn't as bad as it could have been. Gotta love the douchebag taking up one of 4 boat parking spots on the dock while he CLEANS AND FILETS HIS FISH instead of going and getting his truck while 8 boats have to jockey in the wind waiting for a parking spot. I probably only had to jockey for 15 minutes which, looking behind me at the line of boats, probably wasn't that bad.
Looking forward to next year!

Sounds like one heck of a fun day boys.

I'm bummed I didn't get a chance to get out on the water.
On another note, I did have a whole bunch of new spoons from both Left Coast Lures and AP Tackleworx waiting in my mailbox when I got home. Awesome looking gear from both guys. It's going to feel like an eternity waiting another ten days before I can fish them. Stupid work! Hmmph!

Back