Vancouver to Prince Rupert

Hi Chuck. I am very interested in a report as I'd like to do this trip but not this year. I have a 33ft Chriscraft that runs about the same speed & RPM as you (twin Volvo 200hp diesel). Looking for some Kitsumkalum encounters.

Once you get into the Central Coast never pass an opportunity to fill your tanks. It is not uncommon for a place to run out, especially if the commercial fleet is moving. Seen it at Bella Bella more than once, and it's not like I go there a lot. Fuel arrives by barge, weather, breakdowns, high demand and small supply. Full tank is a good thing. Also you used to be able to buy Salt Ice in bulk at the fish plant by the ferry dock on Campbell Island. Good deal.

SW, are you talking ferry dock at Bella Bella for Salt Ice

Hi Chuck. I am very interested in a report as I'd like to do this trip but not this year. I have a 33ft Chriscraft that runs about the same speed & RPM as you (twin Volvo 200hp diesel). Looking for some Kitsumkalum encounters.

E, still in the planning stages as there is a fair bit of homework I am presently working on.

Excuse my ignorance but I have to ask, what is a ``Kitsumkalum encounter`` I am familiar with the Kitsumkalum but I won`t be running the Skeena to get there..

not sure, but he may be referring to hooking into one of the monsters before it gets to the Kalum....

bigdogeh - right-on. Langara claims to be on their route as does Craig Alaska. Not sure as to how/where they approach the Skeena though. Seen a couple of youtube video's & there seems to be plenty of company chasing the big guys.
FYI over the years this link has been my go-to for marine weather info:

http://livetosurf.com/forecasting-tools/

It's a surf shop in Tofino.

US Navy global WAM is great as is the Magic Seaweed. On the WAM, check-out the progression of storms as the start in the Bering Sea & make their way our way. Bouys are good for water temps.

On your trip the winds 7 pressure will be of greatest interest.

not sure, but he may be referring to hooking into one of the monsters before it gets to the Kalum....

Ahhh right, I'm pickin up what ur layin down!! Many large Springs in the Skeena and Kalum. They gotta get there comin from some where.. Didn't think of it from that angle.. Have caught some slobs in the Skeena!!
Going right past the entrance into Skeena, be very cool to pick some of them hogs up as their making their way..

BC, what would you suggest as a prime time (Fishing) to head up to the Central Coast? You mentioned your heading up that way for the first week of Aug. but I wouldn't mind doing the trip on an earlier timeline..

Chuck,

I head up to the Haki area the end of July or first week of August every summer. I am trying to intercept the fish headed to Rivers. We stay on our boats and hunt for big salmon, all big, big ones are C&R, do the trip for the chance at that fish of a lifetime. If you are looking at going earlier I would recommend heading further up the coast.

Really depends on what you are looking for. When I do this trip I am hunting big big fish. Over the last 10 years of doing this trip the dates mentioned above in the area I go to I have found those fish. Not every year but sometime during that time frame they are in the area, just hope they are there when we are. If you are just looking for a spectacular trip to an amazing part of the coast you are good to go anytime as there will be plenty of fish to be had.

PM me for more details if you are planning a trip, more than happy to help.

Cheers

SW, are you talking ferry dock at Bella Bella for Salt Ice
Yes there is a fish plant in McLoughlin Bay, last time I was there they still sold salt ice. It has been a few years maybe someone with more recent experience can weigh in. Shearwater resort told me about it, maybe check with them to see if it is still running.

N'usi Seafoods---very funky dock. Make sure you have several fenders out when you tie up (and a cooler to drag up and down the ramp to get to their salt ice dispenser)

BC, planning to overnight in PH, then head across early AM. Where would you suggest I moore and lodge in PH?

Hey Chuck,

Two options in PH.

First is the Quarter Deck Marina, has everything you need, power, water, fuel, walking distance to town, laundry, showers, you name it.

I would call ahead and make a reservation to be safe.

Second is a new Marina in Bear Cove, just opened this summer. Only water, no power, fuel dock next door. No walking to town, but cheaper but not by much.

Depends on what you need and how long you are going to stay.

You have trip dates yet?

Hey Chuck,

Two options in PH.

First is the Quarter Deck Marina, has everything you need, power, water, fuel, walking distance to town, laundry, showers, you name it.

I would call ahead and make a reservation to be safe.

Second is a new Marina in Bear Cove, just opened this summer. Only water, no power, fuel dock next door. No walking to town, but cheaper but not by much.

Depends on what you need and how long you are going to stay.

You have trip dates yet?

Thanks , BC.

Research that I have done indicates that to cover the most fish (With some large ones mixed in there) throughout the route I'm thinking the last part of June or the first part of July, but I'm steering to the first part of July.

Are there any issues with theft or critters getting onto the boat over night?? Had that happen and that ain't no fun!!

Chuck,

Chuck,

I leave my boats in the QD Marina all summer, have never had an animal problem, thinking you should be good if you stay there.

That being said, there are some otters in the area so having a tidy clean boat will help.

Cheers

Chuck,

I leave my boats in the QD Marina all summer, have never had an animal problem, thinking you should be good if you stay there.

That being said, there are some otters in the area so having a tidy clean boat will help.

Cheers

Thanks, BC!

Yes, that is a for sure!!

What are your thoughts on the date I mentioned?? Late June or First part of July..

Chuck,

You should be good up north (Rupert) end of June early July. The fish will be moving their way down the coast so from Hardy to Rupert should have good fishing. The big ones will still be mid coast or further I'm thinking. This is why I head up first week of August as over the years I have intercepted some big fish during that time.

You will have an epic trip, cruising the coast in the summer is always spectacular.

Cheers

Chuck,

You should be good up north (Rupert) end of June early July. The fish will be moving their way down the coast so from Hardy to Rupert should have good fishing. The big ones will still be mid coast or further I'm thinking. This is why I head up first week of August as over the years I have intercepted some big fish during that time.

You will have an epic trip, cruising the coast in the summer is always spectacular.

Cheers

Thanks again BC.

Any special spots that I should be paying extra attention too while fishing in these areas?? Smith Sound, Rivers Inlet, Hakai Pass, Purple Bluff, Shearwater, Milbanke Sound and Aristazabal Is. Fished Rupert (Dundas Is.) previously so have that covered.

PM me if needed.

Thanks..

Any special spots that I should be paying extra attention too while fishing in these areas?? Smith Sound, Rivers Inlet, Hakai Pass, Purple Bluff, Shearwater, Milbanke Sound and Aristazabal Is. Fished Rupert (Dundas Is.) previously so have that covered.

PM me if needed.

Thanks..
have fished purple bluffs -good mix of salmon-good luck

Back