New peetz reels

staying alive

Anyone tried the new peetz reels with the new and improved drag system.
I use one of the old school ones and quite enjoy the challenge, but thinking of spoiling myself with a new toy.
The Peetz just look cool.

I have the stainless version with the new drag system. It's a great reel! Still lots of fun, and great if you bring friends without a lot of fishing experience.

Got an old 5" Peetz I've had for years converted to the new drag system.Total cost including a total overhaul with the
brass polished and wood revarnished was $170 all in.They did a beautiful job on it and had the pleasure of using it several times recently and I love it!If you have an old one kicking around that isn't warped from misuse I'd go this
route.

My old 6 inch Peetz was warped and I couldn't release the drag nut after my boat bilge quit and the reel was soaking in salt water. Love the custom wood burning in my mahogany faceplate which was installed by Dwayne down at Peetz along with the new drag system. Caught my Sidney derby fish on Saturday with it and yesterday's fish too. Works really well if you are a lefty like me, not so much for my right-handed bro. Of course, that was by request. They have a ton of new clubs and gaffs and shiny AP jewelry down at the Rock Bay shop and are happy to show locals the woods and designs they are currently prototyping.

What configuration of backing/line is recommended for these reels? I haven't put line on mine yet.
T2

What configuration of backing/line is recommended for these reels? I haven't put line on mine yet.
T2
Give peetz a call as they spooled one for me last month. I think they used 300yds of 80lb braid and 100 feet of 30lb mono topshot. So far so good but I have not had a salmon of any size yet to really test it.

I acquired an ancient wooden Peetz reel a few years back, and ran it when I had four rods stacked. Sure enough, that one got hit. It doesn't have a fraction of the smooth feel of a new single action, but I certainly wasn't going to lose the fish because of the reel.
A little clumsy, and I was very relieved when I had the 21 lbs on deck. Don't know that I'll fish it again, but that was an experience.
Matt Michaels

Back