Deck plates

Peahead

I am going to re-seal a couple of cockpit deck plates into the deck/floor on my Grady - I may get some new ones and OEM are apparently Beckson Marine (pry out). Would you use a marine silicone to seal the ring or 3M 5200/4200 / ....or some other sealant? I have used marine grade silicone in the past but it doesn't seem to last very long - but way easier to clean up when redoing it.

Thx

Yes was thinking because 5200 is considered permenant, probably not a good idea. The 4200 allows for reassemble so as I recall that is very similar to the sikaflex 291. Used all 3 at various times....I will also look into the butel tape idea also -thx

Bath & Kitchen caulk in almond is a good match and is way cheaper. Its easy to remove if you need to remove a plate to deal with a pump etc.

X2 with searun, exactly what I did

thanks for that ..... funny how sometimes the name "Marine Grade" becomes merely a marketing name - bath and kitchen caulk is probably equally as good, and as you say, cheaper.

I would use 3M 4200. I used it on my deck seals and hatches and seems to work great. Will not create a permanent bond like 5200.
I was told by a fiberglass expert to use 5200 below the waterline and 4200 above it. I don't think the clear silicone has the life expectancy that 4200 would.
However the marine grade may have some mold inhibiting properties that the bath and kitchen caulk may not.
jmho.

Ya, I just got tired of paying big $$ for marine grade caulk when the store bought stuff was less than half price and seemed to work fairly well. I think sometimes the marine store guys are good at sucking us into spending more money, when the dollar store has good and cheap alternatives. I'm not suggesting cheaping out when you are talking about a critical element, but the deck plate is largely cosmetic.

Back