Island Gate Petition

Is this really a thing? That's private land. Like it or not, seems they do have a right to do whatever they want.

i thought it is a lease of crown land? and signed!

Matt - Correct me if I am wrong on this. Its been several decades since my BCIT forestry days so a lot of this is kinda hazy in the brain now......If its a timber lease, then it is leased crown land and the company can prohibit entry, If its Tree farm license (TFL), it is essentially private land that was given to the timber companies 100 years ago with the intent of opening up the land and bringing prosperity to the island. The only problem was this title was given in perpetuity and so as the companies have been sold off to more corporate conglomerates the TFL title and ownership has transferred as well. If I remember correctly, the only time that these lands return to the crown is if they relinquish their plans to harvest and replant. The land is pure gold to these companies and they will NEVER do that.

As it stands right now the companies have been subjected to so much vandalism (or claim to have) that they need to prohibit access to keep their equipment form being destroyed. One would think that there could be a way to allow access and still prevent the vandalism? laser sighted machines guns?

i thought it is a lease of crown land? and signed!
Pretty sure all Island Timberlands property was owned vs leased...this article seems to confirm that
http://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...tens-to-close-alberni-valley-trails-1.1797526

That being the case, like it or not, they had been gracious opening up THEIR property to the public, so I would have to assume public has no right to whine if they want to take that away. Would you let some stranger come into your backyard, set up a deckchair and just hang out with a beer? It's no different than what this petition is asking. Right?

signed.

It isn't simply access to their privately owned areas that is question here.

From another site:

"They even think they can deny access to land they do not own. The Chemainus Gun Club is on NCRD land leased from the Regional District on Copper Canyon Road. Copper Canyon is gated at the road head because that's where the power ends and IT wanted power for their guard shack. Trouble is even though their land does not begin till after the entrance to the range they no longer have a guard at the shack and use and electric fob type gate. That gate is closed most of the time only open certain hours on weekends/holidays(when they feel like it) now with longer days you can't even go to the range in the evenings and have to be out by 4pm when it is open. They think they can control what ever they want even if they don't own it. It's going from bad to worse."

Cheers,
Nog

Deewar, In this case I feel it's more like a stranger says they own what I beleive is my own backyard.. Then they tell me I can't set up a lawn chair and have a beer.

Deewar, In this case I feel it's more like a stranger says they own what I beleive is my own backyard.. Then they tell me I can't set up a lawn chair and have a beer.

I tend to look at it the same way you do CVmike.

That same feeling could be relayed by the logging companies who were given the land 100 years ago, or by the abbies who have lived here for thousands of years....... jus sayin........ ;-)

We are having these conversations down in south island in Shawnigan Area. We have same thing. But happens and has been happening is I have lazy people/businesses that do spring cleaning dumping trash, drywall or building materials out on logging roads all of the place. Also same thing most guys on ATV are totally awesome but a few dont get it and just take a case of beer/garbage in and make a mess. While I dont like blocking access I can see sometimes why it is done. It really is too bad the pigs ruin it for all of us.

The "issues" these land holding companies face are the same issues occurring on crown land. I know this will make some cry bloody foul but maybe its time for a licensing and registration process for use of the back country where you can't be back there without having taken a course and registering yearly. And Maybe no transporting of fire arms back there in the wee hours. Just an idea. It makes my blood boil when I see dumping, vandalism and all the other crap that goes on out there.
The reality is there is pretty much zero enforcement. Id rather see these places locked up with enforcement/prevention, than locked up with gates.

I would recommend taking a trip to your local Regional District office - and checking-out:

1/ if the land is indeed "Provincial Crown",
2/ if the road right-of-way is a separate tenure, and if so - what are the allowed restrictions (i.e. private roadway w gates, etc.), and finally
3/ When/how are any tenures up to revert back to Public Land - what type are they (TFL, etc)...

Start w knowledge - if possible - and go from there. If it is - in fact - Provincial Crown - they cannot deny access to it - although quite often a roadway right-of-way is often a separate classification from the Crown Land Tenure...

you would see a lot less of that if taking your junk to the dump didn't cost money. at one time it was free to take stuff to the dump. as soon as they started charging you to get rid of your crap is when this stuff happens. doesn't make it right by a long shot, but if they went to a free dump system and just upped taxes to compensate, there would be a lot less of this back country dumping.
that pic looks like someone (or prob more than 1 person) has been dumping there for awhile. a trail-cam setup to catch the guys might get some good results. sad it's come to that though. I was in a parking lot a few days ago and looked over the embanlment and was ashamed of the crap I saw. people have become such pigs. The other one that pisses me off is truckers throwing out there **** jugs at truck stops and along the highway. too lazy to find a garbage can?
I don't remember it being as bad years ago as it is now. we need heavier fines and more enforcement. we used to see ads on TV asking people not to litter and keep BC beautiful. never see them any more.

Last edited:
signed and shared on FB

Back