Oct. 1 Coho regs

G

gone fishin

Checked the DFO web site this morning and no changes that I can see on wild Coho retention in the Victoria to Sheringham fishery
Can anyone confirm if the much anticipated Oct. 1 change on retention of wilds is going to happen?

I talked to a fisheries officer yesterday who was changing out posted notices. He said they messed up the notices and it is in fact the normal regs as in the past for Oct 1st. 4 Coho per person of which 1 may be wild....right from the horses mouth. (areas 19/20)

I talked to a fisheries officer yesterday who was changing out posted notices. He said they messed up the notices and it is in fact the normal regs as in the past for Oct 1st. 4 Coho per person of which 1 may be wild....right from the horses mouth. (areas 19/20)

thanks for the info Profisher....always appreciate your informative posts

I wouldn't follow that rule until it's posted on the internet

This has been online for some time

Portion of Subarea 20-1, Subareas 20-3 to 20-7 (Juan De Fuca Strait):
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Effective 00:01 hours October 1, 2015 until 23:59 hours December 31, 2015 in
that portion of Subarea 20-1 (seaward of a line between a square white boundary
sign at Owen Point, the Port San Juan Light and Whistle Buoy, and San Juan
Point) and Subareas 20-3 to 20-7, you may retain four (4) coho per day, one (1)
of which may be wild (unmarked).

FN0989

Last edited by a moderator:
Those online posting shown above are that portion of area 20 at Renfrew. We are talking east of Sheringham Point to Cadboro Point. Sooke/Victoria

I just got off the phone with Pat at DFO office. I believe gone fishin was asking about..." wild Coho retention in the Victoria to Sheringham fishery" Effective Oct 1 in the Victoria area one marked coho and one unmarked coho. As per FN0989 Sept 4.

Areas 18 and 19:
----------------
Area 18 and 19, you may retain two (2) coho per day, one (1) of which may be
wild (unmarked).
Portion of Subarea 18-8 (Separation Point):
--------------------------------------------
Effective 00:01 hours November 1, 2015 until 23:59 hours December 31, 2015 in
that portion of Subarea 18-8, inside of a line between Separation Point and
Cherry Point, you may retain two (2) coho per day (hatchery marked or unmarked).

The link I posted has the notice and it has info for 20-5 as well, posted 2015-09-04. Here is the except :

Portion of Subarea 20-1, Subareas 20-3 to 20-7 (Juan De Fuca Strait):
---------------------------------------------------------------------
that portion of Subarea 20-1 (seaward of a line between a square white boundary
sign at Owen Point, the Port San Juan Light and Whistle Buoy, and San Juan
Point) and Subareas 20-3 to 20-7, you may retain four (4) coho per day, one (1)
of which may be wild (unmarked).

I just got off the phone with Pat at DFO office. I believe gone fishin was asking about..." wild Coho retention in the Victoria to Sheringham fishery" Effective Oct 1 in the Victoria area one marked coho and one unmarked coho. As per FN0989 Sept 4.

Nope Sooke is 20-5 we are not Victoria area. Rule of one/one applies to area 19 and 18 alone. That is right Vic is stuck with one wild and one hatch. Race rocks onward north its is is 3 hatchery one wild. I don't really get why they are not same. I will keep a copy with me but its always the same in fall, and we weren't told to expect different this year.

See this again is way to confusing why not keep it the same for 19 and 20... Maybe some of the Victoria creeks are of a concern...

Attachments

• map.JPG
    map.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 293
Last edited by a moderator:
Areas 18 and 19:
----------------
Area 18 and 19, you may retain two (2) coho per day, one (1) of which may be
wild (unmarked).
Portion of Subarea 18-8 (Separation Point):
--------------------------------------------
Effective 00:01 hours November 1, 2015 until 23:59 hours December 31, 2015 in
that portion of Subarea 18-8, inside of a line between Separation Point and
Cherry Point, you may retain two (2) coho per day (hatchery marked or unmarked).

You know its messed up they lumped in the Mill Bay fishery (area 18) in that... I can see why this makes it confusing..

SV I was not referring to area 20 earlier only Victoria...saw earlier posts inferring 4 coho in area 19--not the case as you know. All of area 20 except San Juan Bay now 3 marked and 1 unmarked. San Juan inside is 2 and 2 since Sept 5

Back