Boat Crash near Parksville

Yes, very thankful you and no one else was hurt. I am always concerned when I trailer the boat up Island. I had my old SUV start fish tailing one time going down a hill on the Malahat and managed to get it under control. I won't forget that feeling, not a pleasant one. Thank god for in-cab trailer brake controllers. I did some research after this event and found that traveling down a hill is when you are most vulnrable from a loss of control perspective and in particular when a large vehicle passes you causing a "bow" wave affect. I'd be very interested to hear what you think the cause of it was. It would be a good learning for all of us. I found buying a longer wheel base/higher GVW tow capacity solved my problem. I also figured the ideal placement of the boat on the trailer. Weight and balance plus tow vehicle wheel base leverage/tow capacity are key variables along with road conditions and speed that all influence outcome.

Wow Gary I'm glad you're ok. Towing these boats can be scary at times be careful out there guys.

I know exactly what happened. When I was pulling the boat up the ramp it slid back about 10 inches. Didn't really think much of ice because I use 2 straps on the front to hold it down, that was enough to change the weighting of the tongue by quite a bit. On the highway I could feel the boat bouncing more then usual but was going slow so I thought I'd be okay. Hit the bump on the bridge at 95 kmh and the boat started jumping all over, worse and worse every time. I swear my back truck tires were being lifted off the ground. Eventually the boat swung me 180 degrees on the road. Learned a valuable lesson about proper tongue weight yesterday.

Scary times.
Glad you were unhurt, and nobody else was injured

As already said, trucks and boats can be fixed, people, sometimes not so much.

Thanks for telling us the cause. We can all learn.

Glad to hear that you and everyone else involved are ok. Scary stuff.

Who's going to fix your truck?............:p

Glad to hear everyone was ok, the boat damage doesn't look too dire, any bad spots closest to the truck?

Yes sometimes what is thought as a minor detail becomes BIG really fast. That is why my boat has sat for two years. I found my truck was doing most of the braking and I was not happy with the brake repair options at the time. I have converted my trailer to electric over hydraulic and having done the test drive and love the results, will be back fishing next year.
I made this decision based on my years of experience as a heavy equipment operator and my brushes with "minor details" and the rate at which they become big events really fast. I do not think I can handle those kind or "rushes" any more.

Yes sometimes what is thought as a minor detail becomes BIG really fast. That is why my boat has sat for two years. I found my truck was doing most of the braking and I was not happy with the brake repair options at the time. I have converted my trailer to electric over hydraulic and having done the test drive and love the results, will be back fishing next year.
I made this decision based on my years of experience as a heavy equipment operator and my brushes with "minor details" and the rate at which they become big events really fast. I do not think I can handle those kind or "rushes" any more.

What did that cost roughly? I got the old drum system..

I believe around $4200. for 3 axles through Easyloader. I am not good at keeping records.
6 rotors
6 hubs
6 calipers
All the necessary connections brake lines etc.
Electric brake pump.

Kelly if you want to you can still use drum brakes and install a electric over hyd. actuator.

The lady cop was all over me for my trailer. She measured everything and checked out the brakes. My fenders are 1 inch over width, and the motor stuck out to far from the trailer. So I need to have red flags and a over width permit for the trailer. She even had the tow truck driver stop at the scales to weigh the boat.

The lady cop was all over me for my trailer. She measured everything and checked out the brakes. My fenders are 1 inch over width, and the motor stuck out to far from the trailer. So I need to have red flags and a over width permit for the trailer. She even had the tow truck driver stop at the scales to weigh the boat.

holy crap.. i swear they work hand in hand with icbc to try and fak anyone out of coverage. oh, and to make ticket money!!

There's going to be a lot more scrutiny over boat trailers in the future

I got pulled over in Campbell River last year just out of town heading south. The officer told me the week before there had been a near fatality with a boat trailer accident and they were checking the tie down straps on every boat trailer they had time to stop. He thought from the distance I didn't have any so pulled me over. He checked and confirmed everything was in order and thanked me for being safety conscious.... They are watching....

I don't know about the rest of you but I only have comprehensive on my trailer.As soon as it's fixed I'm putting colision on it. I'm lucky that the damage was minimal and my boat insurance also covers my trailer up to $5000. Otherwise I could have been out 9000 for a trailer. I had comprehensive in case it got stolen, never expected to wreck my own trailer...

I was pulled over a few years ago on my way to Nootka. Only held me up for a few minutes as everything checked out and they were busy with others stopped as well. Lots of guys take a chance with loads over width and no permit. The red flag thing is something I should do as I'm podded as well and the leg sticks out there aways when tilted up for the road.

That is crazy man, glad everything turned out well...I can attest to ensuring that your boat is tight to the bow roller for sure, really upsets the balance.

Back