VRO ,(variable ratio oiler,) Delete on 93 Johnson 70

The head is all marked up on number three cylinder where the rings let go ,but also # 2 cylinder has a gouge... Mechanic says it is the crank bearings that let go as it is common for people to rebuild these 70's and not replace the con rods n crankshaft bearings... The problem started with the crankshaft bearings letting go which in turn allowed the piston rings to catch on the port and deystroy the rings. The crankshaft is thus destroyed also.. My best bet would be to buy that replacement powerhead as it would cost me closer to 1500-2000 to rebuild this one..not an option at this point ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a 1986 Johnson 60 hp, that did the same thing.
mechanic said with all the parts and new crank I was looking at around $2500
bye bye Johnny !

Yah you just got a bad one... There are lots of them still running could happen to any engine four stroke , two stroke its the great thing with engines saltwater hates them.... Anyways Jeff your always welcome to fish down here! I will be going out for coho and halibut this month so give me a shout sometime..

Thanks man appreciate it , im in a bit of a pickle as i put all my eggs in one basket so to speak... Afraid i might have to part the whole thing out ...

Thanks man appreciate it , im in a bit of a pickle as i put all my eggs in one basket so to speak... Afraid i might have to part the whole thing out ...

That sucks, If you do keep your kicker. You paid good money for it and it can always get a new boat when you get the cash someday. I think you can replace powerhead for 500-1000 if you can find something used, but it is not in cards like you said. Anyways offer is out anytime man..

Scared to put anymore money into it, gotta weigh my options , looks like someone is going to get a sweet deal at this point... Kicker ,electronics, riggers , im sure someone could make the best of it ...most of the money i spent in other departments the main was found to be troubled and thats why i pulled the add, was trying to make it seaworthy before passing it on to the next owner...

Keep IT!! you have a great boat set up they way you want it. if you part it out you're not getting your money back and, have to start all over. put it away and bide your time till you can repower.

Just talked to the guy in ladner with the new powerhead... Either way broken or fixed the boat is for sale... That was the plan from the start, try for a bigger boat next year..

I would borrow the money to get that powerhead if I had to. You will get all of it back and more on the sale of the package when you can sell it as zero hours factory powerhead. The most worrisome part of buying used is the main power's condition. You will have eliminated that concern and your boat will rise to the top of the list in your price range.

so when do i get my finders fee? hahahha jk! I hope you score that powerhead jeff its a good deal for a brand new powerhead!

Yup, thanks again man ,
7026e4775c2ceb691e787da968497ad6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Right on Jeffy.Good score man.Now you just have to transfer all those new electrical parts,a few other odds and ends,
and you'll basically have a brand new 70 hp motor on the back of your rig.Still think you should hang on to it though.
The thing about boats is they need to be a labour of love,because you never get back out what you've put in.Sad but
true I'm afraid.

Smokin deal Jeff looks better then i even thought! Remember to follow the proper break in procedure when you get it up and running!

Make sure the reeds didn't get damaged before you switch them over. Why did the bearing on the old engine fail...lack of oil? I would also make sure that the bottom carb is not plugged up and is why the bearing failed...no oil. Wouldn't want you to have the same happen to this new block.

Thanks guys , was an incredible deal being a new powerhead (not remanufactured) going to have the mechanic do it right n go over the leg,new impellor n gear lube, package will then be open to offers...will be closer to 14 k into it at that point....

Make sure the reeds didn't get damaged before you switch them over. Why did the bearing on the old engine fail...lack of oil? I would also make sure that the bottom carb is not plugged up and is why the bearing failed...no oil. Wouldn't want you to have the same happen to this new block.

Carbs were just rebuilt after the fuel/ oilpump quit , bearings were getting lots of oil,everything will be gone over by my licensed mechanic friend , only the fuel side of the vro let go so it was getting plenty of oil. Not enough fuel... , carbs were rebuilt after that.

I'm always suspicious when something major happens right after work has been done...thats why I suggested it would be worth checking that carb again...even just if to tear it down and make sure nothing got missed. Its only a 30 minute job when the carb is already on the bench...and no parts need to be replaced.

Back