Qualicum man charged with guiding without a license.

ok , so i will ask the dumb question, is this for fresh water only?
i have
med
svop
proper guide insurance
certified boat
over ten years guiding experience
40 plus years on the water
thinking about ctag
what else???
all along i fgrd i was doing it right , all that transport canada stuff!!
is this a dfo requirement?

what is this guides licence? cripes more pieces of paper???

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't be surprised if the Feds take a crack at establishing a Tidal Guide License...especially so if CTAG doesn't catch on within the industry. I'm not sure at this point how I feel about that. I can see benefits (stop illegal guiding) and also see how it could become just another pain in the butt.

First of all, this thread should be moved (or copied) to the freshwater forum, if it's the same fellow I think it is, I'm sure there are lots of fly fishermen that would be heart warmed to hear of this mans troubles. Freshwater guiding licenses are in place for a damn good reason and I, for one, really hope the authorities can prove what most of us already know (he's guilty) and throw the book at him. There is too much of this (freshwater unlicensed guiding) going on and the game department could have not found a better example to make an example of.

Again, if it's the fellow I think it is, he has a very long track record of doing this and to make matters worse (for him) his river etiquette is deplorable; almost the worst I have ever seen. He seems to have the attitude that; because he's a guide and he has to get his client(s) into fish, it's OK for him to barge into an occupied spot and stand shoulder to shoulder with other fishermen that arrived there first. He is a guide. not a licensed one it would seem, but as we all know, guides and their clients have no special rights that give them preference to any specific spot on the river or on the ocean and they have to get there earlier or wait their turn just like everyone else. On one river he frequents, to put it mildly, he is literally despised. I suspect he has barged into an occupied pool just once too often and really pissed someone off; enough to tip off the game wardens. Good luck to the authorities; I really hope they can make the charges stick.

Back