Anybody using these anchovie rigs?

I was using some of the glo and the herring and needlefish imitations and had good success on chinook, coho and pink this summer off Sooke. They held up well to the abuse. I used them with and without scent. They hold their roll pretty well but adding a wire to stiffen them up doesn't hurt. Throw them in a jughead for fast trolling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like ill be picking some anchovie and herring setups :) I like the idea of the durability and not worrying about blow outs etc.

Tried some of the baitrix this year, even brined them. Not a hit, anchovies on other side was producing. Same color, flasher and leader length for roll. They do roll perfect but never had a sniff. Used the ones with metal "plate" inside to hold bend. Anybody try the durabaits with success?

HM

i tried running fake baitrix not a sniff in howe sound so our fish are more fussy than wcvi ......lol

If you are expecting 1-5 hits for 6 hours fishing use real bait. If there are lots of fish use whatever you want, including baitrix. If you enjoy rolling bait and most of your lures are bait holders, but there are lots of dogfish, baitrix seems to get less of them.

thanks for the info guys, worth the couple bucks to buy a couple of em and give em a go. Nothing ever compares to the real thing, but its always nice if you can find the alternative. I see on the website some pretty big fish caught with em on wcvi and langara etc, which really doesn't count considering the concentration of big fish and fish period in those areas lol.

I fished them along with real anchovies offshore tofino, there were lots of springs around and we caught a lot, but absolutely none on the batrix. the roll was fine, I had scented and unscented so I was less than impressed with them, maybe would have worked if I had all batrix down with no real anchovies but when you don't have confidence in a product it's hard to put it down. I carry a pack in my tackle bag and will try again when I am out of anchovies but so far I am not a fan at all.

I fished them along with real anchovies offshore tofino, there were lots of springs around and we caught a lot, but absolutely none on the batrix. the roll was fine, I had scented and unscented so I was less than impressed with them, maybe would have worked if I had all batrix down with no real anchovies but when you don't have confidence in a product it's hard to put it down. I carry a pack in my tackle bag and will try again when I am out of anchovies but so far I am not a fan at all.

Thanks for the info :)

Where can you buy those Dura baits? Are they limp or do they have some kind of wire/bend-able core that allow them to bend? Does the needle fish one have a teaser head on it, or it just thread through the head?
Cheers

I've seen the at Wisebuys and trotac in Vic. You can buy them rigged or unrigged, myriad of types. scented or not (I think they can be scented/unscented and stiffened or not, but I might be remembering a different brand). They have the feel of a well brined anchovie even when not stiffened.

Needlefish has a proper teaserhead

I have only caught one spring on the baitrix. 20lbs. anchovy, glow, without stiffener. about 2 or 3 years ago now. there were a lot of fish that day and time.

I have used the tune able Baitrix anchovies with good success on springs, coho, and pinks. A friend has used it at Otter Pt. a few times and kept up or done better than his partners real anchovie, catching several 20 plus springs in the few times he has used them.

I have personally done very well with the tiny strip in the tiny teaser, both in Beecher Bay and also when I fished Oak Bay flats. I have used mostly the chartreuse one and have added herring oil under the strip inside the teaser.

...Rob

I have used the tune able Baitrix anchovies with good success on springs, coho, and pinks. A friend has used it at Otter Pt. a few times and kept up or done better than his partners real anchovie, catching several 20 plus springs in the few times he has used them.

I have personally done very well with the tiny strip in the tiny teaser, both in Beecher Bay and also when I fished Oak Bay flats. I have used mostly the chartreuse one and have added herring oil under the strip inside the teaser.

...Rob

I tried one of these last week in west Van. Not a sniff, but the real deal hooked 4. Might give them a try another day when the sounder is loaded, until then just another gimmick to carry around in the tackle box

I have caught a number of chinook on Baitrix anchovy. However, I believe Baitrix is no longer making imitation baits. Gibbs-Delta is now making Big Bite tunable imitation anchovy, which is also scented. Rumour has it that G-D will be coming out with imitation strip for 2016. The Baitrix versions of strip were deadly!

Back