What area to relocate to from Vancouver for best all year salmon fishing?????

This thread will likely apply to me in 5-7 years. I'll need a town where I can buy an equivalent but smaller home for 100,000 less than what I'll get for mine, allowing for a new truck and boat upon arrival.
A mortgage free person from Vancouver can go anywhere, but for everyone else, having debt in retirement is not an option so the nicer areas of Victoria are off the list.
Few have mentioned that the island is not that big. For someone who drives 10-12 hours to fish 2 and sometimes 3 days now, to get up at early and drive a few hours to wherever would be a easy. I do that now to catch and release trout.

Sooke...all year round fishing with options winter, spring, summer, fall. No need to venture out that far. Pedder bay, Becher bay, sooke harbour mouth have nice fish to be caught all year round.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

All good points Rockfish-- but you missed the most annoying part about living on the south Island-- TRAFFIC! Its almost as bad as Van, and getting worse. Talk about stress inducing!

There is light at the end tunnel with the push to high tech in the car from Bosch.
[HbuXN8ViiPk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbuXN8ViiPk

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with living on the south end of the Island where you can pick between, Sooke, Renni, Victoria, Sidney and Nanaimo for year round access to calm protected waters with great salmon, halibut, crab and prawn fishing. Also year round golf and lots for the wife to do close by. Also quick and easy to get on and off the Island when you can afford it... lol

Just pic your spot based on needs draw a list and please really review areas Vic isn't center of universe there are many areas on island. A lot of people in Vic wont drive 10-20 minutes to anywhere not like mainland. This island has so many great areas to fish but many wont drive to them. We wanted a rural lifestyle, better house, more land, and better access to all fishing, camping and peaceful lifestyle so we moved away from Vic. That might not be for you... You have to know what you want and then go from there... Good luck!

Hi Cameo, we are presently in pretty much the same situation as you and have been looking around the island, we are in vancouver so when we sell we can pretty much go where we want. fishing is a high priority for us but we also golf and ski a bit. we aren't interested in being north of comox courtney and really like that area, spent a week there last year checking things out, major problem is finding moorage for a bigger boat (dont wanna drive too far to get to the boat) will also keep my 18' aluminum on a trailer for going to west coast etc.. we really like sooke and that looks like our no1 choice for now, heading over to look at some places in a week or so. we also looked at sechelt (powell river as mentioned is great but 2 ferry rides are a bit much). anywhaere on the east coast between sooke and comox would be nice imho, gonna take another look at fairwinds also. great advice by the poster who said go and rent for a while before you buy, we will probably do that unless we find something exceptional.

cheers and gl nicnat

Hi Cameo, we are presently in pretty much the same situation as you and have been looking around the island, we are in vancouver so when we sell we can pretty much go where we want. fishing is a high priority for us but we also golf and ski a bit. we aren't interested in being north of comox courtney and really like that area, spent a week there last year checking things out, major problem is finding moorage for a bigger boat (dont wanna drive too far to get to the boat) will also keep my 18' aluminum on a trailer for going to west coast etc.. we really like sooke and that looks like our no1 choice for now, heading over to look at some places in a week or so. we also looked at sechelt (powell river as mentioned is great but 2 ferry rides are a bit much). anywhaere on the east coast between sooke and comox would be nice imho, gonna take another look at fairwinds also. great advice by the poster who said go and rent for a while before you buy, we will probably do that unless we find something exceptional.

cheers and gl nicnat

NicnatI glad you found this thread , the suggestions and comments are really great.

Maybe some day we will meet on a dock somewhere in south Island.

I have read all your comments more then once. Rockfish like your suggestions especially the airport.
My daughter lives and works in Napa Valley, my son just told me he is transferred to Ottawa. So had to add airport
to want list.

I don't know if you're keeping track of suggestions , I think I got the count pretty accurate.

In no order:
Sooke 6
Courtenay/comox 2
campbell River 6
Cobble Hill 1
Tofino/Bamfield 2
Powell River 2
Port McNeill 2
Quadra 1
Victoria 9
Port Alberni 1
Gabriola 1

includes up to post #55

These are locations to reside. More locations mentioned for traveling fisherman.

Barrie - Do you have your boat listed for 58K

Springfever: I like being a deckhand especially areas I have never fished which is most on VI

By the way anyone got any old Roy Smith flashers they would part with???

I think my first choice for actual livability would be Courtenay/Comox. Everything shopping wise is so close and trips to Campbell River, Gold River and farther up island are not very far away. Traffic is not bad and beautiful country. I have lots of family there and have spent many summers visiting. Think it's just the right size.
However for year round fishing you can't beat the Victoria/Sooke area. Look at the fishing folks had just off the breakwater or Oak Bay flats this year. Plus if you like to cruise a little put in at Sidney and within minutes your in the gulf islands. Add to that an international airport with Alaska Airlines connection to Seattle and then anywhere you want. Great restaurants and beautiful parks. Yes traffic is busy but live out of town a bit up by Sidney or towards Sooke. Mild climate too. Don't need winter tires! Lol

I have seen Barrie's boat. Real nice and very well looked after. I think he is looking for something a bit bigger.

Best of luck in your choice of locations.

Best boat moorage, Campbell River. Best year round salt and fresh water fishing, Campbell River. Best hunting area, Campbell River. Access to Crown Land and recreational camping, Campbell River. Calm waters, Campbell River.

cheers and gl nicnat

If you have 'Vancouver House' kind of money, you may well be able to get yourself a beautiful house on the water right in Sooke Basin/harbour with its own year round dock out front for your boat, a quick trip to Sunny Shores for fuel and pull outs, and crabbing right off your own dock.

I like the water front dock set up. Sell Sointula and the vancouver house and I'm all set sounds too good to ever happen.
I'm sure water front doesn't come up for sale too often. Probably sold by word of mouth first.

not really like Sointula (family had property in Mitchell Bay so know what you are talking about there with word of mouth). Plenty of options - finding with a dock, little more challenging, but couple ideas in sooke anyway:

http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/15881074/6435-Sooke-Rd-Sooke-British-Columbia-V9Z0A8

http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/15118594/5957-Sooke-Rd-Sooke-British-Columbia-V9Z1H4

Love the entrance gate on the second listing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 340
I know the Seascape B&B well, nice waterfront property with well maintained buildings. Also an established clientele. They are at retirement age and the reason they have it listed.

Unlike Courtney/Comox, Tofino/Bamfield are pretty far apart and the furthest apart in terms of amenities.
Tofino has crazy-fantastic retaurants, paved, high priced accomm.
Bamfield is pretty much the opposite.

I'm probably 15-20 years from making the move, but Courtney/Comox is perfect for what I think I will want.

I have read all your comments more then once. Rockfish like your suggestions especially the airport.
My daughter lives and works in Napa Valley, my son just told me he is transferred to Ottawa. So had to add airport
to want list.

I don't know if you're keeping track of suggestions , I think I got the count pretty accurate.

In no order:
Sooke 6
Courtenay/comox 2
campbell River 6
Cobble Hill 1
Tofino/Bamfield 2
Powell River 2
Port McNeill 2
Quadra 1
Victoria 9
Port Alberni 1
Gabriola 1

includes up to post #55

These are locations to reside. More locations mentioned for traveling fisherman.

Barrie - Do you have your boat listed for 58K

Springfever: I like being a deckhand especially areas I have never fished which is most on VI

By the way anyone got any old Roy Smith flashers they would part with???

I would steer clear if Victoria unless you like traffic and tourists and lots off fuddy duddy granola eaters. Best bet is the Central Island, anywhere north of Duncan is nice. I'd say with the money you could get a beautiful ocean view home in Nanoose or Lantzville. How bout Qualicum?

You really can't go wrong living on the island. I've lived in Nanaimo for 3 years, Victoria for almost 10 and have worked out of Campbell River for about 8 years. You definitely have more storms and extreme weather the further you go up island which can be an issue for some in the winter. Campbell River in particular has some undeniably bad weather in the winter.
Personally I think +/- 30 miles from the comox valley is a great choice. Other places on my list would be the nanoose/parksville area and on the South Island the saanich peninsula/Brentwood area. I would rather live on the outskirts of larger centers like Nanaimo/Courtney/CR/Vic than in them.

Back