What area to relocate to from Vancouver for best all year salmon fishing?????

Rent a place and see if you like it! I have many friends who moved to their retirement dream home only to sell and move back. It's amazing how often people find they miss being around family or as they get older medical accessibility . Ferries dissuade visitors and moving to a community where you know no one can cause a feeling of isolation. Also the North and South Island have significantly different rainfall, if rainy days bother you?

Not sure I'm putting reply in correct place, not too knowledgeable on this forum.
Wow, didn't expect all the enthusiastic input in one day. I really appreciate all of you taking the time to give
suggestions and some humour.
Curious if anyone has ever fished Saanich inlet.

No I didn't win lotto.
No I don't have a politicians pension or a government pension.

Have to consider Victoria traffic, don't like that.
I think Courtenay areas is warmer then Campbell River.
Don't like up/down 200+'

I don't go places fast, have a 16' Davidson Chugger Yanmar 8hp horizontal diesel, 4hp Johnson for trolling. 1 liter/hr full speed. Rough seas not too much of a problem .
Will check out Sooke also
Don't think my wife would enjoy island west coast winter living.
We have a small place in Sointula(across from Port McNeill) for last 7 years and spend 5-7 months here. 100' is max depth, usually 60-80'.
Have been in Fort Langley since 1976.
Have nurses in family and they like Courtenay area.

My slow boat is limited to where I should fish especially in winter or I should
acquire a faster boat.
I usually fish by my self as my wife gets sick 25' off the dock, she is not thrilled about boating but loves fish.
No ones perfect.
Any ideas on moorage or boat launch around comox/courtenay area.
Throw in a bit of nostalgia, Rhys Davis gave me some of his very first strip heads when I was 12. My addiction grew from
a piece of plastic.

based on your info and needs...I'd still say Victoria (sooke), but given your boat, maybe somewhere along East Sooke Road would be ticket, moor at Cheanuh, and you can catch fish Beecher bay and around to Whirl Bay all year round easy. You don't have to even travel into Victoria if you like to avoid the traffic - Langford/Colwood has everything you need.

As for weather - Sointula is NOTHING like Victoria - Victoria probably gets a 1/4 of the rainfall (its in a rain shadow). Courtenay - meh, I didn't like it personally to live - too farmy for me and the fishing wasn't anything to write home about (200-300'...blech). Also, with the water shortage issues and lack of snow base over last few years, it may become a serious issue if it continues as I don't believe they have a long term solution. Victoria/Sooke however, zero issue. Consider that. Campbell River was a lot nicer to me (look at the subdivision off York Road - loved living there). Fishing though...as said, sux..deep fishing, nasty cross currents, just not enjoyable (besides the chum fishery and sockeye when open). Sooke...40-100' all year round.

Also, rarely is Sooke a sicky place...may find wife is ok on the water, especially if you just fish local around Beecher much of the year (just a minute or two from dock and you are fishing).

Food for thought from someone that has lived in Campbell/Courtenay and Victoria.

based on your info and needs...I'd still say Victoria (sooke), but given your boat, maybe somewhere along East Sooke Road would be ticket, moor at Cheanuh, and you can catch fish Beecher bay and around to Whirl Bay all year round easy. You don't have to even travel into Victoria if you like to avoid the traffic - Langford/Colwood has everything you need.

As for weather - Sointula is NOTHING like Victoria - Victoria probably gets a 1/4 of the rainfall (its in a rain shadow). Courtenay - meh, I didn't like it personally to live - too farmy for me and the fishing wasn't anything to write home about (200-300'...blech). Also, with the water shortage issues and lack of snow base over last few years, it may become a serious issue if it continues as I don't believe they have a long term solution. Victoria/Sooke however, zero issue. Consider that. Campbell River was a lot nicer to me (look at the subdivision off York Road - loved living there). Fishing though...as said, sux..deep fishing, nasty cross currents, just not enjoyable (besides the chum fishery and sockeye when open). Sooke...40-100' all year round.

Also, rarely is Sooke a sicky place...may find wife is ok on the water, especially if you just fish local around Beecher much of the year (just a minute or two from dock and you are fishing).

Food for thought from someone that has lived in Campbell/Courtenay and Victoria.

I have looked at realestate listings for East Sooke and West Sooke, I wasn't sure about moorage or boat ramps.
I like what you said about close fishing, just being on the water is the best part.
Satellite map shows a few private docks and from what you said one must be a commercial moorage, will check.
I hadn't thought about the water situation around comox valley as I was interested in some acreage. Well water could disappear quickly. Of course Medical facilities are not far down the list of must have services.
I think Powell River would have been a good possibilty 15 years ago.
I grew up in Brentwood Bay, Sooke would be close to class reunions and some classmates.
If 300' rigger fishing is normal in some places I guess I wouldn't be eating salmon often.
So far the suggestions and information has really helped me get a better understanding of different locations very rapidly. It would have taken many days to search around for info that you guys provided in one day.
Thanks again everyone. I don't suppose anyone here ever went to Mount Newton or Royal Oak high schools in the
1950's?

This my own personal opinion. You like saanich inlet why not mill bay or surrounding areas like cobble hill. I like north of malahat as it allows a better platform to fish as you can fish all areas. That gives an angler more options if weather is lousy in Sooke especially in winter. You have the best crabbing and prawning close by way better than Vic by a mile. You dont pay way overpriced housing values like Victoria, and its way quieter. I am 25 minutes from crofton, 15 min cow bay.. 45 minutes to cheanuh, and 55 minutes to sooke harbour. Renfrew for me is about 1hr and 15..

I fish Victoria, Sooke, Cow Bay, Crofton and the inlet (I trailer it). Mill Bay even has a nice marina set up now if you want to leave boat in water.

If not than do Sooke.. Same thing applies the property is a lot cheaper and you can fish year round.

In winter thats why I like here I can put crab trap out, prawn trap out and do winter spring fishing at once. A lot of days last year were just as good as Sooke sometimes. ..We have the guys coming up here from vic a lot because they cant prawn down there. Just something to consider.

Last edited by a moderator:
This my own personal opinion. You like saanich inlet why not mill bay or surrounding areas like cobble hill. I like north of malahat as it allows a better platform to fish as you can fish all areas. That gives an angler more options if weather is lousy in Sooke especially in winter. You have the best crabbing and prawning close by way better than Vic by a mile. You dont pay way overpriced housing values like Victoria, and its way quieter. I am 25 minutes from crofton, 15 min cow bay.. 45 minutes to cheanuh, and 55 minutes to sooke harbour. Renfrew for me is about 1hr and 15..

I fish Victoria, Sooke, Cow Bay, Crofton and the inlet (I trailer it). Mill Bay even has a nice marina set up now if you want to leave boat in water.

If not than do Sooke.. Same thing applies the property is a lot cheaper and you can fish year round.

In winter thats why I like here I can put crab trap out, prawn trap out and do winter spring fishing at once. A lot of days last year were just as good as Sooke sometimes. ..We have the guys coming up here from vic a lot because they cant prawn down there. Just something to consider.

I thought Saanich Inlet was closed to sport fishing or no one fished it because of lack of Coho and Springs , read something like that years ago probably remember wrong.
Is moorage available on a long wait list or can one find a space within a reasonable length of time. Can you suggest a marina.
I kinda of lean to this area as it has good protection from winds, suspect tide currents are less then a lot of locations.
Thanks for the info on crab and prawns thats a big plus for a no fish day. DFO still allow commercial prawn fishing in Saanich Inlet?
I believe that had a huge detrimental effect on resident fish population. If I remember correctly Jim Gilbert and Tommy Moss tried to have that stopped to no avail.

I thought Saanich Inlet was closed to sport fishing or no one fished it because of lack of Coho and Springs , read something like that years ago probably remember wrong.
Is moorage available on a long wait list or can one find a space within a reasonable length of time. Can you suggest a marina.
I kinda of lean to this area as it has good protection from winds, suspect tide currents are less then a lot of locations.
Thanks for the info on crab and prawns thats a big plus for a no fish day. DFO still allow commercial prawn fishing in Saanich Inlet?
I believe that had a huge detrimental effect on resident fish population. If I remember correctly Jim Gilbert and Tommy Moss tried to have that stopped to no avail.

Winter its open and its when best prawning is anyway no googans..It closes in late summer in some areas but Sidney area is accessible in areas where its open. Commercial prawning is everywhere.

Not sure I'm putting reply in correct place, not too knowledgeable on this forum.
Wow, didn't expect all the enthusiastic input in one day. I really appreciate all of you taking the time to give
suggestions and some humour.
Curious if anyone has ever fished Saanich inlet.

No I didn't win lotto.
No I don't have a politicians pension or a government pension.

Have to consider Victoria traffic, don't like that.
I think Courtenay areas is warmer then Campbell River.
Don't like up/down 200+'

I don't go places fast, have a 16' Davidson Chugger Yanmar 8hp horizontal diesel, 4hp Johnson for trolling. 1 liter/hr full speed. Rough seas not too much of a problem .
Will check out Sooke also
Don't think my wife would enjoy island west coast winter living.
We have a small place in Sointula(across from Port McNeill) for last 7 years and spend 5-7 months here. 100' is max depth, usually 60-80'.
Have been in Fort Langley since 1976.
Have nurses in family and they like Courtenay area.

My slow boat is limited to where I should fish especially in winter or I should
acquire a faster boat.
I usually fish by my self as my wife gets sick 25' off the dock, she is not thrilled about boating but loves fish.
No ones perfect.
Any ideas on moorage or boat launch around comox/courtenay area.
Throw in a bit of nostalgia, Rhys Davis gave me some of his very first strip heads when I was 12. My addiction grew from
a piece of plastic.

If your up and changing your life for all year salmon fishing, you might want to sell your current boat and get into something a bit bigger, more seaworthy and that you can get out of the weather in. I don't know anything about Davidson boats, but at 16feet your going to be pretty limited.

Check my avatar. Just added my boat picture.
Its based on a life boat for 18 people. Draws about 30"
Full fiberglass , it can handle weather I don't like for fishing.
Full electronics plus auto pilot. This design is very sea worthy
A fellow in Port Albernie was written up in Pacific Yachting a few years back about his trip around Vancouver Island and his trip to
Prince Rupert and back with the exact same boat, diesel was different Mfg.
I have a 14' Duroboat for quick in/out fishing in good weather but the Chugger with propane heater is much more
comfortable in winter.

South VI (Victoria to Sooke) not just for all year good fishing but for everything else. Very moderate weather (mildest in BC), shopping, cultural activity, dining, a major airport and ferries to both the US and Vancouver for vacations and if you are in the retirement age range access to the best and major medical care on the island so that if you get something like cancer in your later years you will be making very short frequent trips to the island cancer center etc.

South VI (Victoria to Sooke) not just for all year good fishing but for everything else. Very moderate weather (mildest in BC), shopping, cultural activity, dining, a major airport and ferries to both the US and Vancouver for vacations and if you are in the retirement age range access to the best and major medical care on the island so that if you get something like cancer in your later years you will be making very short frequent trips to the island cancer center etc.

All good points Rockfish-- but you missed the most annoying part about living on the south Island-- TRAFFIC! Its almost as bad as Van, and getting worse. Talk about stress inducing!

All good points Rockfish-- but you missed the most annoying part about living on the south Island-- TRAFFIC! Its almost as bad as Van, and getting worse. Talk about stress inducing!

Actually it is not that bad yet if you are retired and can avoid the work rush hours and chose your driving time.

The real problem is that very few vote in municipal elections and this has allowed a small number of car hating fanatics to highjack the transportation agenda. They seem to feel that cars and driving are evil and we will not give up our evil cars unless they force us to.

To this end they are wasting hundreds of millions on reducing speed limits lower and lower, especially for some reason on major arteries, and are removing traffic lanes all over the city and replacing them with huge sidewalks and extremely wide super highways for bikes. The theory seems to be that ‘if we build it they will come” but so far all the bike super freeways and monster sidewalks are getting little use. Then there is the joys of what they call “Traffic Calming” which is making corners tight and road lanes narrow and full of obstacles to further slow down traffic and frustrate drivers by deliberately creating even more gridlock.

It does not matter that this is also creating a lot of additional carbon air pollution from all the gridlocked idling motors , I guess they think that will get better once they get rid of all the private vehicles and only delivery vehicles, buses and taxies will be left on the few remaining narrow vehicle lanes.

Port Alberni fishing is not as good as Sooke in my experience however you have easy access to Bamfield and Barkley Sound. I would say for maximum real estate bang for the buck Port Alberni is one of the best locations on the island. Easy access to Nanaimo and ferries to the mainland too.

as you are retired and want a slower life style I would suggest gabriola island. good year round fishing, little traffic and silva bay is a great place to keep your boat.

It sounds like your priority is winter fishing. I would be hesitant about area's that are exposed to the wind - Any location on a body of water that includes "Strait" in it's name should be avoided. I would exclude the west coast. It sounds like you are fishing at the summer place 5-7 months per year. If it were me I'd probably pick Campbell River & moor at Brown's Bay. I fished Chatham Point 10 days ago when it was blowing a Gale at Campbell River but very Calm north of the Seymour Narrows. I'm sure your current boat is great for fishing from, but it is too slow for serious fishing. By that i mean there will be many times you come back empty handed because you are in the wrong place & didn't have the speed to get to the right place. Changing boats may open more options for a good place to live. As an example, Barkley Sound has good fishing beginning about February & Port Alberni is pretty nice, but it's a 25 mile run to Barkley sound. As for fishing deep versus shallow, winter chinook tend to be deeper and closer to the bottom.

There are reason property values are cheap in Port Alberni. It sits down in a very hot valley in the summer and the economy has been stagnant for years. There is not much there in terms of shopping dinning or quality of life infrastructure and a very significant portion of the population which works there (at least those with means ) chose to spend a couple of hours a day driving over the hump to live in Parksville, Qualicum and Nanaimo where it is just plain nicer to live.

If you want good fishing you are really talking about Hardy, the West Coast and JDF ( Sooke). Most places on the east coast of the island you are talking modest fishing with a few fishing locations where the fishing is good at times.

As for living on the Gulf Island, things are changing and that rural life style comes with a price. Increasingly it seems there is pressure to raise ferry fees and cut routes and frequency of sailings resulting in greater isolation and cost. It does not help that BC ferries has been mismanaged for years since the semi privatized model of service was introduced and the gulf islands and smaller routes viewed as money losers rather than part of the highway infrastructure. Long term I suspect they will eventually overcome the resistance of the residents and link the larger Gulf Islands and Vancouver Island together with bridges and put the major ferry terminal on the outer Gulf Islands. That would cut cost and ferry travel time to the mainland to a bit over half an hour. It would also turn the Gulf Islands into bedroom communities for Vancouver and Victoria with a huge increase in property values but a loss of much of the isolated rural lifestyle.

Back