What area to relocate to from Vancouver for best all year salmon fishing?????

cameo20000

My wife and I are retired and are considering moving to Vancouver Island.
I was raised in Brentwood Bay and started fishing around 5 years old. Salmon fished Saanish Inlet in 40's and 50's

Wondering where all the dedicated salmon guys would move to for best all year round fishing if you won the big LottoMax.

Have to consider available Marina moorage or boat launch, distance to best winter fishery.

I haven't fished for many years except for two years out of Sointula.

I was considering Courtenay +/- 30 miles.
Sooke might be good area.

Open to 1 o2 locations of your wishlist areas.

Thanks for any suggestions you care to give me.
Gord

west coast- bam or ukee
inside-quadra or port mcneil

Depends on the budget of what you want to own or live in....what amenities you and/or wifey want to have close?

You can't go wrong in Courtenay-very central to all WCVI fishing areas plus our own area is pretty decent at times. Housing prices are reasonable plus we have Costco, home depot, walmart, new hospital I could go on. I'm sure there are other places but I'm very happy we retired here-and I can always use another deckhand on the Spring Fever II LOL

to meet Your criteria, VICTORIA, hands down... that includes all the outlying areas from Sooke to Sidney

Depends on the budget of what you want to own or live in....what amenities you and/or wifey want to have close?

Read his post closer , budget is no object he won Lotto Max:rolleyes:

Read his post closer , budget is no object he won Lotto Max:rolleyes:

Victoria- You've got Sooke. Moor in the Inner Harbour or launch out of Esquimalt Anglers and you're at Beechy Head in 25 minutes (20 ft boat required in my opinion). Fish right off the water front 5 minutes from the inner harbour and catch big Springs. Head out to Albert Head or Constances Banks and pull in a barn door. Drag the boat a couple of hours West and you're in Port Renfrew on the West Coast.

Powell River.
Great new marina and year round fishing is close by... and, you have access with your own boat to as far up the coast as you wish to go, pretty much when you want to go .... ie. usual run of 5 hours to Port McNeill... with spectacular vistas enroute...
Locally, prawns, crabs, oysters/clams etc.
Definitely worth checking out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a friend who moved to the coast and retired. Has a boat in Campbell River, but choose to buy an acreage outside Sooke. He does not like traffic and he says it's bad in that area around Vic. And after years of working in a city and putting up with bad commute traffic, he's pissed that he still has to put up with again. He's questioning his decision and looking at moving up north.

Victoria without a doubt! It checks all your needs and As luck would have it, I will sell you my Seasport that's moored in Victoria Harbour.

Just moved back to Vic from Comox. Traffic sucks in Vic but fishing is shallow, outstanding and close, and fish fight harder in my opinion. Comox and hump at 200+ ft was not for me. 45 min run if not launching off beach. If retired your fishing before traffic and going home before or after. I am loving it. 3 Teen springs last weekend and coho galore. Vic has my vote.

HM

Not sure I'm putting reply in correct place, not too knowledgeable on this forum.
Wow, didn't expect all the enthusiastic input in one day. I really appreciate all of you taking the time to give
suggestions and some humour.
Curious if anyone has ever fished Saanich inlet.

No I didn't win lotto.
No I don't have a politicians pension or a government pension.

Have to consider Victoria traffic, don't like that.
I think Courtenay areas is warmer then Campbell River.
Don't like up/down 200+'

I don't go places fast, have a 16' Davidson Chugger Yanmar 8hp horizontal diesel, 4hp Johnson for trolling. 1 liter/hr full speed. Rough seas not too much of a problem .
Will check out Sooke also
Don't think my wife would enjoy island west coast winter living.
We have a small place in Sointula(across from Port McNeill) for last 7 years and spend 5-7 months here. 100' is max depth, usually 60-80'.
Have been in Fort Langley since 1976.
Have nurses in family and they like Courtenay area.

My slow boat is limited to where I should fish especially in winter or I should
acquire a faster boat.
I usually fish by my self as my wife gets sick 25' off the dock, she is not thrilled about boating but loves fish.
No ones perfect.
Any ideas on moorage or boat launch around comox/courtenay area.
Throw in a bit of nostalgia, Rhys Davis gave me some of his very first strip heads when I was 12. My addiction grew from
a piece of plastic.

I just moved from Victoria to Powell River. Been here since May and I would honestly say I've caught significantly more fish here so far than I did on the South Island. There is multiple spots to fish close by and always a place to hide from the wind. You can also head into desolation sound easily also for a cruise. It's not for everyone because it's isolated but it's cheap to live and the fishing is really good. You can literally pull out of the marina and drop your gear without even starting your main engine and hammer springs. Having said all of that I think Campbell River would be my number one choice because the west coast is easily accessible and the fishing in C.R. Has been awesome the last few years as well. Victoria has better weather and it's a great place but I found it more of a hassle to fish there because of the amount of traffic and the amount of people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back