White springs in sooke

I've had some trouble finding many white
Springs in sooke this year. One or two, but that's it all season. Anyone noticing the same?

I'm usually able to get a full smoker load by seasons end, but not this year.

just starting to show got 2 of them yesterday, biggest was 17 and a 14 2 weeks ago got some as well its like finding that 5 pt buck or a 30 lber there around just have to find them..... hats the challenge

good luck Wolf

From 2003 - 2011 or so we were catching white one's in Ucluelet around the end of July - 1st week in August. This coincided with Sardines in the area. One day my fishing buddy wanted Coho; we had to go thru over 30 springs to get his Coho; they were all over 25 & the 4 we kept were 38,36,32,28 - all white's. About 2012 they disappeared. Story was the draggers were getting the white's & Sardines about 40 miles offshore. The next year I asked an ex-troller about that run & he said they were 40 miles out down about 400 ft.

If these are Fraser fish they could be on the east side.

I cleaned and filleted my and everyone else's fish on our trips to Ucluelet. 2 out of 45 were white. No marbles this year.

A good run of whites are going through Sooke right now. Of the 3 Chinook we kept on Saturday two were White and one was 24 lbs. We have also caught others and know of others caught including one during the Fathers Day Derby. There has even been some hatchery marked whites caught. The time is now if you want the shorter but deep heavy bodied Harrison/Columbia River football type White Chinook.

Last edited by a moderator:
We spent a month fishing in Ukee this year and had many friends rotate thru to fish with us. I didn't count the whites this year however there were not as many as past years. We did catch 2 springs this year that were purple tinted, almost like a light tuna color. We have never seen these before, has anybody else?.

Got a whitey yesterday and one a few weeks back.
No marbles yet which is interesting. Usually get a lot of marbles in Sooke.
Those marbles are usually the 20-25lb range. I have been stuck with teens mostly this year.

Caught a 17lb marble yesterday in sooke. Caught an 18lb marble in Campbell river a month or so ago too.

Back