Amundson MSR05 reel

Need a fix for my reel, the creep is making me crazy, by the time I stop it the drag is tighter than I prefer, is there a drag washer upgrade
I can install? Or something else, I kind of like the reel otherwise, so driving over it with the truck in not the preferable fix :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple fix----just go pick up one or two new Theron reels!! i've got almost a season on mine and lots of salmon from 17' down to 200' down---- no creep and still the line screams out beautifully.. I really like the idea of plain silver ones. maybe next year!!

You could attach a Scotty release clip on a short leash from the downrigger boom . Clip it to your line just above the reel. Set drag where you want it to fight a fish, and clip the release to the line to prevent creep. It will pop when a fish hits or when you pick up your rod. I have seen this done on a few pictures from this forum , then also saw it on a guided boat on the west coast this Summer. Worked pretty good, and the guide was using old Amundsons reels too.

You could attach a Scotty release clip on a short leash from the downrigger boom . Clip it to your line just above the reel. Set drag where you want it to fight a fish, and clip the release to the line to prevent creep. It will pop when a fish hits or when you pick up your rod. I have seen this done on a few pictures from this forum , then also saw it on a guided boat on the west coast this Summer. Worked pretty good, and the guide was using old Amundsons reels too.

Alternatively, you could take a Scotty netminder, and move it to the very top of your cork, much more compact.

thanks for the input everyone, have been using the scotty release clip trick up to now

Last edited by a moderator:
Back