Yamaha kicker has no water at the tell tale

fish brain

Crew Member
My 8 hp Yamaha 4 stroke has no water at the tell tale. I have replaced the impeller and thermostat and checked them twice to make sure I didnt make a mistake installing them. I have run the motor with the thermostat removed. Still no water.
If i blow in the holes the air goes some where, but not out the tell tale. exhaust does however come out, so I'm thinking it's not plugged.
The leg engages gear and spins the prop, the keyway on the impeller is in place and solid.
Any ideas?
The motor was working fine and pissing up a storm one day and not the next. I'm stumped.

My 8 hp Yamaha 4 stroke has no water at the tell tale. I have replaced the impeller and thermostat and checked them twice to make sure I didnt make a mistake installing them. I have run the motor with the thermostat removed. Still no water.
If i blow in the holes the air goes some where, but not out the tell tale. exhaust does however come out, so I'm thinking it's not plugged.
The leg engages gear and spins the prop, the keyway on the impeller is in place and solid.
Any ideas?
The motor was working fine and pissing up a storm one day and not the next. I'm stumped.

I just helped my neighbour with the same problem, engine ran, seemed to be clear when blowing air through, new impeller, still not pissing.
Turns out the copper tube feeding the water up had corroded and had a few holes so wasn't keeping pressure. We put a fuel hose over top of it and ran the motor, pissing ensued :)
New tube is on it's way.

Ive gotton sludge pluging the exit hole. Ive taken care of it with a thin wire be gentle and work it in a ways. Its quick easy and worth a try on my 9.9 it happens a bit from the salt water. Its usually within the first inch or so.

pull the water line off the powerhead and see if you have water, then you know if you are going after the pump, or lines from the engine to the pisser hole

Turns out it was a blocked pisser hose. last night when I checked I looked at the exhaust straight out the back of the engine. Brain Fart should be my SFBC name.
All fixed now
Thanks for your help guys

Shove a tooth pick up it, lol. Twice now I've had spiders lay eggs in the pisser hole, road dust can plug it too.

Yup, I have had mine blocked as well. Some sort of crap the impeller picked up. .
toothpick up the hole fixed it.

Back