Release Clip Stacking.

El_Kabong

I have 18" and 48" clips. When stacking release clips, does one put the shorter or longer clip on the top?

It seems to me that I'd want to put the longer release on the bottom and the shorter one on top, but I could be wrong?

You want both to be long, strikes are easier to detect, those couple inches won't make a difference regarding tangles...

Sent from a PayPhone

All my clips are same length and don't have issues. Only thing I make sure to do is make the top rod tighter (closer) to the clip.

Doesn't matter too much, one thing to do is have your bottom line closer to the clip and have the top line further back so if a spring hits and dives deep it wont tangle.

7-9 this AM
4a5549a56cc1a5b72a9a75d2076748af.jpg

Sent from a PayPhone

Not sure if you plan to stack simply to run dummy flashers for Sockeye, or you are running multiple lines per cable.

We run our clips 20 feet apart and two lines per side. The trick is to make sure your Line stoppers (yes I use multiples in a row) are about 3 feet from the point you set the stacking clip. That way, you don't "bump off" your release clip when you have it running in auto mode. When the drum stops, simply lean over, grab the stacker clip, take off and throw in the pail so it doesn't get stepped on. Running 4 lines for 2 guys is a bit of fun when you have a double header, but being able to spread out the presentation over 80 feet in the water column and being able to try 4 different rigs sure speeds the elimination process when fishing is slow. Yes, you need a 12 - 15 pd ball to do this.

Drewski

An interesting way for stacking multiple rods is to use the dual release clip setup for the stacked rods, rather than the spring loaded clip.

attachment.php

That way, if your shutoff bead fails, you don't lose the stacked clip.

Attachments

• PGRIP_stacker.jpg
    PGRIP_stacker.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 657
I wrestled a seal for it. Put up quite the fight.

I use the "Stacker" it doesn't slide up braid

Sent from a PayPhone

Even with a standard stacker, a piece of mono tired to it with a snap swivel around the cable will prevent loss. However it does make it a bit harder to out on and take off.

Even with a standard stacker, a piece of mono tired to it with a snap swivel around the cable will prevent loss. However it does make it a bit harder to out on and take off.
I try to ensure a double header on each presentation thereby eliminating most of the problem!!! As if! LOL

I'm looking to stack two lines per rigger.

I run kone zones for dummy flashers, and just a spoon, hootchie or 'chovy behind that. But I want to put another rod about 20' above that with a flasher and something, just to increase the chances of a hook up.

What I don't want is everything to tangle up on the way down, or up or with a fish on the lower rods. Thank-you everyone for the advice!!!

The way I run it is with 2 riggers, 10lb on 1, 12lb on the other. I put the lowest line on the cannon ball on the 12, 48" release, 20' line out. If I want to be fishing 120, 100, and 80, I put the 100' on the 10lb ball, then the 80 line 40' above the ball on the 12 letting out 8' of line from flasher to clip, no tangles. Another thing is: put the lower rod to the side of the boat, and the top rod back.

Sent from a PayPhone

Stacking downriggers

Funny reading everyone's approach. This is what I do....

Put the lower lure in the release with about 15' of line trailing out to the lure.
Add a stacker about 30' up and attach that line with about 45' of line out heading to the lure. That way the upper lure is way back and won't get tangled in the belly of the line from the lower lure. Works great, hardly ever tangle and I have used this approach down to about 250' depth.

On my boat, the bottom rod is toward the back, pointed straight back, the upper rod is forward, pointing out from the boat.

Attachments

• 20150313_031037845_iOS.jpg
    20150313_031037845_iOS.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 156
Back