Searching for a Tuna crew

Here is a great thread I found about how to never get invited again.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=1049866

I think quite a few folks should read it and learn if they want to try tuna fishing (or any fishing) on someone else's boat:).

If that isn't your cup of tea then buy your own boat, tackle, and fuel and go for it!!!

Bitching on an internet fishing forum isn't going to get you out there anytime soon ;).

LOL....that's some funny (and mostly true) stuff right there!!! You know, I'm 47 years old, been fishing as long as I can remember and the vast majority of the friends I've taken out are all great, everyone offers to pay and help out. Always a few buttholes that don't get invited back but I don't let the minority dictate my opinion on the majority. I have a small group of guys I go with on a regular basis and it's like clock-work, they know the drill and what the expectations are...they have no issues with it either.

I have a checklist for anyone and everyone I don't know that comes aboard my boat, first a safety presentation (how to use the radio in an emergency, where the life jackets are, how to read the GPS, etc.) then...these are the rules and this is what we're doing today, if they have any issues with it...they don't come - end of story. Not to sound like a dictator, because I'm not, but we don't debate about things, this is not a democracy, it's my boat and my equipment that I've invested around $70,000 in.

Anyone wanna go fishing? Ha-ha-ha...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they are great guys, in fact the only guys I would ever flip the keys to the boat and say you can go with out me today. Only thing is I know they would never take me up on my offer. I had to laugh a couple years ago when they showed up with a little plaque that read "This Boat Runs On Gas Not Friendship" and mounted it on the cabin door where no one could ever miss it.

Albacore fishing is not for the faint hearted or the cheap If you are either then it's not for you.

If i was Quinn i would have given up on this thread and moved on.

I'm thinking Quinn has gotten more than he bargained for with this thread, Ya gotta pay to play. My old Bertram 31 hovered 65-70 GPH, Twin 440 Chrysler and a 23 MPH cruise. The fuel dock guy misses that boat!

Albacore fishing is not for the faint hearted or the cheap If you are either then it's not for you.

If i was Quinn i would have given up on this thread and moved on.

I think Quinn gave up yesterday night at 8:57 (post 41). Others, not so much....

I'm thinking Quinn has gotten more than he bargained for with this thread, Ya gotta pay to play. My old Bertram 31 hovered 65-70 GPH, Twin 440 Chrysler and a 23 MPH cruise. The fuel dock guy misses that boat!

It's still around, just a different fuel dock guy taking advantage now :)

Wow I don't know where to start. don't think you posted to ask for people to negotiate price if they don't like it quit reading move on. As you say it is very dependent on weather and you need people that are ready to go with a couple days notice. I may have to rethink my boat sharing fuel cost. One problem I think you will have will be salt ice and storing tuna caught. if you come to bamfield Gerry at mills landin has the ice and can freeze and package fish for you. I like taking Gerry on trips as he always brings ice, also 1 trip with just him and me he pulled in 22 fish in 1 hr 15 min with rod and reel not handline. As birdsnest said nice to have another boat amazing how much more area can be covered and get on fish more. Hope you find guys and take both boats, send me a pm when you decide to go may see you out there and can give you numbers where I have caught fish. had very good luck in finding fish near same spot year after year. Good luck to you if nothing else interesting reading thru thread.

Looks like I may have acquired some local boys for crew who fish hard and know that this kind of trip requires fuel fuel fuel fuel and more fuel. We are certainly taking my boat and if enough of these die hards materialize, dad will take a separate boat.
The other Bonus is that another travelling partner from Sooke is committed as well.

I just want to say how impressed I am in the number of true captains that have supported my post in this thread. It's amazing how there are two distinct groups of people in this debate that are at absolute polar opposites......those that have done it, do it and know what it's all about (tuna fishing that is) and the other half......those that doubt, procrastinate, and sit on the fence.

I hold no grudge against the second party, all I have to say to them is "gentlemen, try this once,not so much with me but with anyone. Dig deep in your pockets and pay what the captain requests and be a part of this very very exclusive club of frontier fisherman. You will instantly change your mind about any doubts you held about this thread"

And if any of you think the fuel bill I predicted was high, think about this.....the last tuna boat i worked on, owned by my father held an even 100,000 litres of fuel. That's $130,000 and an all day parade of tanker trucks to fill the tank.

I'll see you guys out there mid August....Kirk out.

With a bit notice, this is gonna happen for me in the very near future...good luck to ya Quinn!! I can't wait to experience it.

Looks like I may have acquired some local boys for crew who fish hard and know that this kind of trip requires fuel fuel fuel fuel and more fuel. We are certainly taking my boat and if enough of these die hards materialize, dad will take a separate boat.
The other Bonus is that another travelling partner from Sooke is committed as well.

I just want to say how impressed I am in the number of true captains that have supported my post in this thread. It's amazing how there are two distinct groups of people in this debate that are at absolute polar opposites......those that have done it, do it and know what it's all about (tuna fishing that is) and the other half......those that doubt, procrastinate, and sit on the fence.

I hold no grudge against the second party, all I have to say to them is "gentlemen, try this once,not so much with me but with anyone. Dig deep in your pockets and pay what the captain requests and be a part of this very very exclusive club of frontier fisherman. You will instantly change your mind about any doubts you held about this thread"

And if any of you think the fuel bill I predicted was high, think about this.....the last tuna boat i worked on, owned by my father held an even 100,000 litres of fuel. That's $130,000 and an all day parade of tanker trucks to fill the tank.

I'll see you guys out there mid August....Kirk out.

Very good post best of luck Quinn.

Make sure you post when you are out there, lots of boat's will be out at various times to share info, I think your offer was pretty fair for all this fishery entails. Seems lots of guys just don't have a clue and it's keeping them from enjoying on of the best fishery's we have.

Make sure you post when you are out there, lots of boat's will be out at various times to share info, I think your offer was pretty fair for all this fishery entails. Seems lots of guys just don't have a clue and it's keeping them from enjoying on of the best fishery's we have.

Well said from the best tuna fishing partner/deck hand anyone could ask for :cool::).

Your PM box is going to be full now buddy :p. Just remember the post's about twin 300's and the fuel burn ;).

Your boat your rules, Quinn. Good luck. What was the name of the South Pacific boat? I used to crew on a BC seine boat that went to Tahiti for two years in the 87-88 or so. They ended up dragging jigs mostly because the corks would compress on the drum over time and pulling the net off to pile it on the stern was tricky in big seas 2 weeks from port. I had other obligations and couldn't go. His son took his 46' troller for the first year. They filled one of the 4 fish holds on the seiner with 2 feet of water and the rest diesel. Pioneers of a sort, but they got they got the itch after meeting some San Diego bait boat guys that went there. Many cool stories about ports of call, hurricanes, stuff they would catch on jigs while travelling, etc...
These costs are reasonable guys; do it.

Back in 87, we fished the royal spirit, a brand new 52 footer and we took it to Tahiti as well. Back then that was the place to deliver. We fished that one till the mid nineties when dad bought a boat in holland. We flew over there, re-rigged her for tuna, sailed to the Canary Islands for a paint job, then crossed the Atlantic, transited the Panama Canal, and headed up to sooke harbour for new freezers. We named that one the Viking spirit. After the freezers were installed, we headed straight for New Zealand, our new South Pacific port.

What was the boat you fished on when you went to Tahiti? There was only a fistful of us Canadian south sea goers back then so I'm sure we know of each other.

I had started a new career and didn't go, I seined 1979-85, and 93+94 on the Pacific Warwind, his son took the Escapade (troller) as well. The Larden family were/are the boat owners.
Anyway, are you all lined up for this trip?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back