Daily vs Trip Limits

burnsy22

We are headed up the McNeill Area next week and there is a 1 marked 1 unmarked coho daily limit. we will be fishing for 4 days total. So does that mean we are only allowed 1 wild coho for the whole trip or more? I don't know why i am having such a brain fart with this, so I apologize.

your allowed a 2 day possession

Is it cool to send your limit home frozen, in a cooler and start again? If I ever catch a limit.

It used to be that a person could transport someone else's fish with a letter authorizing them to do so. That changed in regulations last year. You now must stay in possession of your catch or risk loosing it.

Is it cool to send your limit home frozen, in a cooler and start again? If I ever catch a limit.

You will catch your limit, of all species and that will fill a cooler and then some, and all that fish will last a whole winter. It's not worth trying to get your possession home while you continue to fish, it could lead to a big headache for you logistics wise. Not too mention a possible fine.

Ok, just to add on this question. 5 of us are going to port Renfrew in August for a week, we are getting our catch processed out there for us and frozen BUT 3 of our group have to fly home after 5 days and 2 of us are staying 7 days and driving home with the boat and the fish. Is that going to be a possible issue?
TIA
Jeff

Ok, just to add on this question. 5 of us are going to port Renfrew in August for a week, we are getting our catch processed out there for us and frozen BUT 3 of our group have to fly home after 5 days and 2 of us are staying 7 days and driving home with the boat and the fish. Is that going to be a possible issue?
TIA
Jeff

If checked you would potentially have a problem depending on the mood of the officer as you would be in non compliance with the current regulations.

The 3 flying must write a letter with a copy of their recorded license indicating they give permission for you to transport their catch.
Dicey at best in my mind.

I believe you have to personally take your catch to your primary residence before you can return fishing if you have your limit in possession. As someone who lives far enough away from where I fish I can understand but I rather have these rules in place to protect future opportunities. I rather not have a fine either so playing by the rules it is.

DFO changed the transport of fish rule last year through FN0478. A person can still legally transport another's catch but ONLY if the total number of fish being transported by the other person is equal-to or less-than a single possession limit AND if the person transporting the fish is carrying an authorization letter as prescribed in the Reg.

DFO changed the transport of fish rule last year through FN0478. A person can still legally transport another's catch but ONLY if the total number of fish being transported by the other person is equal-to or less-than a single possession limit AND if the person transporting the fish is carrying an authorization letter as prescribed in the Reg.

Thanks for this. I may have to transport another's home from Kyuquot as weight restrictions on plane may come into play.

Looking at that notice it would appear as though I can't transport another's halibut possession limit?

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=160126&ID=all

But then I read this and it all seems clear as mud.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/points/packaging-emballage-eng.html

From section 13, British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations:
Possession
13. (1) No person shall possess more fish of a species, other than halibut, except at the person’s ordinary residence, than twice the daily quota for fish of that species prescribed by these Regulations.

The British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations state that you may possess only twice the daily limit of all species (except halibut, as set out in the Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence). This possession limit applies per person whether you or someone else caught the fish.

Fish caught by an angler that is being prepared, cooked, or is partially consumed away from the angler's ordinary residence ( i.e. while staying at a camp ground, overnighting on a boat, residing at a hotel, etc.) is included as part of the fisher's possession limit. The head and tail of all finfish and the carapace (shell) of any crab caught must be retained until the fish has been consumed.

You may transport another person’s sport caught fish, provided that the total of all fish possessed does not exceed your personal possession limit for each individual species prescribed by regulation or by licence condition.

When they say "your personal possession limit" do they mean per license holder or the actual individual transporting the fish? In other words...aside from halibut can I transport another's possession limit ALONG with mine with the proper authorization letter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this. I may have to transport another's home from Kyuquot as weight restrictions on plane may come into play.

Looking at that notice it would appear as though I can't transport another's halibut possession limit?

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=160126&ID=all

But then I read this and it all seems clear as mud.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/points/packaging-emballage-eng.html

When they say "your personal possession limit" do they mean per license holder or the actual individual transporting the fish? In other words...aside from halibut can I transport another's possession limit ALONG with mine with the proper authorization letter?

No - if you read the part you quoted - "You may transport another person’s sport caught fish, provided that the total of all fish possessed does not exceed your personal possession limit for each individual species prescribed by regulation or by licence condition." - the important words are you and your. E.g. you can transport another person's fish IF the total number of fish you have in your possession does not exceed your personal possession limit. If you are carrying your own limit already, any more (from another person) will exceed your personal limit.

The new interpretation only allows you to transport a single possession limit regardless of how many licensed anglers caught the fish. To use a simple example it could be comprised of--4 spring, two halibut 4 other salmon of other species etc. etc. You need an authorization letter from the other angler(s). The halibut must be one not exceeding 90 cm and one not exceeding 133 cm. Hope this helps! Does this re-interpretation by DFO of their own Regulation make sense???....well that's another discussion!!

I certainly do get the reasoning but man does it make it a challenge in a scenario as we could be in 2 weeks from now. No matter what, the few that are flying HAVE to take their fish if I have my limits.

So the aforementioned Notice that was dated in June of last year is not a carry over in regs for this year.

BTW.....thank you to all for pointing this out!! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
You will catch your limit, of all species and that will fill a cooler and then some, and all that fish will last a whole winter. It's not worth trying to get your possession home while you continue to fish, it could lead to a big headache for you logistics wise. Not too mention a possible fine.
I wish a 1 day possession limit lasted me that long. Lots of mouths to feed and a strong preference for seafood

Back