Licence Requirements

Willyjim

If I have 3 people in the boat, I'm only fishing 2 lines, and I won't exceed the limit for 2 licences, do all 3 people in the boat still need a licence?

You may only fish a number of lines that matches the number of people in the boat with licenses. (tidal waters) 2 people with licenses...allowed max 2 lines. If everyone has a license you could fish 100 lines if you thought you could handle them.

You may only fish a number of lines that matches the number of people in the boat with licenses. (tidal waters) 2 people with licenses...allowed max 2 lines. If everyone has a license you could fish 100 lines if you thought you could handle them.

That's incorrect, you can fish as many lines as you wish per licence regardless on who's on-board without a licence.

Non tidal waters regs say one rod per person unless your alone then two rods allowed. Tidal waters I read as many rods as you want to try.

Tidal waters is unlimited lines so long as everyone is licensed that is on board. If you have someone on board without a license you may only fish the number of rods that correspond to the number with licenses. eg one person on board with a license can fish 100 rods...100 people on board with only one having a license...you are allowed to fish only 1 rod. I'm a license vendor but believe who you want. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
actually just re read the regs and from what i see it looks like things have changed and that you can fish any number of rods whether people on the boat have licenses or not. however, anyone on board without a licesce cannot fish. in willys case the person without the license cannot fish. the person could buy a license without a stamp and legally fish if they only take the limit for 2 people otherwise the person without the license should not be playing any fish legally.
here's the quote from the regs "In tidal waters, there is no limit to the number of fishing rods you can use" no where does it say anything about being limited by the number of licenses on board. this used to be the case and it looks like it's changed or else they forgot to specify it in this years pamphlet. this is new to me and will phone dfo monday to confirm it's the reg and not something that was omitted.

actually just re read the regs and from what i see it looks like things have changed and that you can fish any number of rods whether people on the boat have licenses or not. however, anyone on board without a licesce cannot fish. in willys case the person without the license cannot fish. the person could buy a license without a stamp and legally fish if they only take the limit for 2 people otherwise the person without the license should not be playing any fish legally.
here's the quote from the regs "In tidal waters, there is no limit to the number of fishing rods you can use" no where does it say anything about being limited by the number of licenses on board. this used to be the case and it looks like it's changed or else they forgot to specify it in this years pamphlet. this is new to me and will phone dfo monday to confirm it's the reg and not something that was omitted.

Your right nicnat, I got checked by DFO in May 2 rods, 2 people, 1 license they said as long as I'm the only fishing its all good. He can't touch the rod but he can drive the boat.

Sounds like I'm not the only one who was unsure about this. If they expect people to follow the rules, the rules should be clearly stated in an obvious location so that everyone knows what they are. Nicnat, when you talk to them, maybe you could mention that. I've actually emailed this question to them before, but the response was just as unclear.

Back