My sons first boat.

Looks like it's coming along nice. will be great to see the final outcome when it's all put back together and rigged out. reminds me of a project I did on a small 14' aluminum I picked up many years ago for a couple hundred while working in northern ontario... got alot of use out of that boat once it was finished up. had no resemblance to how it looked originally.

WIN_20150810_111143_zps5slbptfp.jpg

WIN_20150810_111203_zpskg7z1h0a.jpg

Lots going on lately with work, fishing, and the most sad thing is that our cool old Dutch neighbor past away last Tuesday :(. This is the guy Jake bought the boat from. We only knew him for a few months and he was a very generous and interesting character. He's lived there for 31 years and will be missed by the whole neighborhood. We really wanted to show him how we tuned her up. Jake said he is going to paint an "In memory of" him under the boat name. We are going to show the boat to our neighbors son who used to use it quite often in the past.

On to the positive side of things......

Albernifisher painted the inside and Jake has started to put her back together again. We made the executive decision to forego the leak test (God hates a coward).

Jake sanding the deck with 60 grit sand paper. We are going to try this without putting down the 3M grip tape. If it doesn't work we can easily put the tape on.

Pretending is always fun too lol.

Getting there...

She is on the trailer and we started the electrical today. Quite a bit is done but I want to take some better shots during the day tomorrow. I will post up some more really soon.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited by a moderator:
How is the boat coming along ???? Sure would be nice to see a couple of pic's. So far it looks great, wish a had the space and shop to do something like that....Keep it coming. #Patiently.

Lots going on lately with work, fishing, and the most sad thing is that our cool old Dutch neighbor past away last Tuesday :(. This is the guy Jake bought the boat from. We only knew him for a few months and he was a very generous and interesting character. He's lived there for 31 years and will be missed by the whole neighborhood. We really wanted to show him how we tuned her up. Jake said he is going to paint an "In memory of" him under the boat name. We are going to show the boat to our neighbors son who used to use it quite often in the past.

On to the positive side of things......

Albernifisher painted the inside and Jake has started to put her back together again. We made the executive decision to forego the leak test (God hates a coward).

Jake sanding the deck with 60 grit sand paper. We are going to try this without putting down the 3M grip tape. If it doesn't work we can easily put the tape on.

Pretending is always fun too lol.

Getting there...

She is on the trailer and we started the electrical today. Quite a bit is done but I want to take some better shots during the day tomorrow. I will post up some more really soon.

Cheers,
Sculpin

I am curious too... wicked paint job alberni...

We are still plugging away at her. All the electrical is done now and we are mounting the motor today. I will try to post up some more shots tonight.

Well with some tuna fishing trips and the shootout happening we did finally get her done. Too busy to take very many pictures but did get a few.

Got the transom finished and the motor mounted a while ago.

That little Merc runs like a top. Amazing little motor that was well cared for by the previous owner.

Got the steering and electrical almost all done.

Insured the trailer and jerry rigged the lights good enough for a test drive last week.

The initial dunking led to the discovery of a couple of minor leaks in the transom. There was about a cup of water back there after a 1/2 hr spin. We found them right away and dealt with them immediately. Finished up the rest of the items that needed doing and towed her up to Salmon Beach this past weekend.

Starting a fleet lol :D.

Launching.

She floats!!!

Jake heading out into the sound in pursuit of fish.

Success. First blood on her decks :cool:.

First fish to the boat was a nice eating ling cod :). He was pretty proud and I was even prouder that he made the right decision to come in before being blown off the water on Sunday. Lot's of guys would have kept fishing but he made the right call.

So she floats with zero water in the boat after a couple of hours of fishing, she catches fish, and the motor runs like a top. We are both pretty pleased with the outcome of this little project boat. Now he just has to take care of her and have some fun fishing :).

Cheers,
Sculpin

looks good sculpin, thatll be a nice little tinner to bomb around and slay some fish, nice ling as well. with the 25hp on it whats its top speed? 20mph?

looks good sculpin, thatll be a nice little tinner to bomb around and slay some fish, nice ling as well. with the 25hp on it whats its top speed? 20mph?

He hasn't really been in conditions to open her up but he's had her up to 25 mph and still had quite a bit to go. Still playing around with the motor trim etc. On the initial run when I was driving, she sat bow heavy and was a little snakey at speed. He moved the pin back one hole and said it seemed pretty good but he was running in the teens due to the choppy conditions. She planes at around 12 mph he said.

Nice work. You guys did the work pretty fast!

Back