My sons first boat.

It's great to see a young fella learn to ignore the good-enough demon! You're both doing great on this project. I really like these threads.

I like these threads, and also despise them. Reminds me about the hull sitting turtle neglected in my driveway, one day! Anyways, looking great as mentioned. Hmmm, black?

I like these threads, and also despise them. Reminds me about the hull sitting turtle neglected in my driveway, one day! Anyways, looking great as mentioned. Hmmm, black?

I hear ya and that is why I like doing threads like this. Share ideas, motivate folks to start threads like this, and it's just fun and rewarding working on boats :).

albernifisher came by yesterday with some paint chips. I wanted to paint it Mercury Racing blue but Jake picked a nice medium non metallic blue (more sensible than my pick lol). All the rails and trim will be black. He's naming it the "Blue Bomber". Our buddy Ron from Farm Fresh will doing up some decals for her.

Thanks Sculpin and son, I love this stuff. Gonna feel so good when he nails one as a $150000 boat trolls by :)

Jake is really kicking butt at this ! Nice work... I know it is not much of a contribution but i have them two boxes of rollers if he needs any to finish the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, we have come to a realization that we are not going to get in the water for the weekend. It has given my son and I some relief so to speak :cool:. Both of us are very tired and we need to keep working (real work making money lol) and just keep doing it right till the end. The estimated launch date is late next week now.

Here are some pics of where she is at right now. Work got in the way and we just kept up with tweaking this and that.

Added a couple of rocket launchers to the rear rails for holding rods while running.

The transom turned out very Skookum!!! You can see the rise we put into it to accommodate the long shaft Merc.

Went a little overboard on the new transom corner pieces but they are the key to stiffening up the whole works. When we had her all together just placing stuff the transom still flexed. Once everything was sandwiched and the corner pieces installed the transom doesn't budge one bit. Good to go.

Continued....

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to put an arch over the dash. It is just tall enough to look over (about an inch below his chin). This will hold the all around light and have a couple of sockets welded to it to accommodate extra things later on. We were going to get all fancy with slope of windscreen etc. but said screw it and are just going double arch 90 degrees to the gunnel.

The side posts are tilted slightly inwards.

Side note:

A couple of other projects that are done and waiting for pick up.

Kelly's new kicker bracket (his new boat is SWEET!)

Albernifisher's new reach on his Whaler trailer. He's going to blast and paint the rest of it. Not too bad for a next to free trailer.

Continued....

The trailer turned out awesome!!! We are so stoked about this part of the project. A lot of work went into it.

The fenders are killer for sure. Neither of us can claim fame to them. That goes out to Blaine big time (thanks for sticking around after work buddy :cool:).

Jake bolted everything back up and used thread sealant on every bolt. This thing should last a while if rinsed off every use.

The side bunks for aligning the boat on the trailer when retrieving.

A shot from behind.

After a nice long weekend with some fishing and r&r, we got some more done.

The new aluminum windscreen is done and installed.

The guy's were mocking us a bit on the arch :p:rolleyes:. "You can do better than that" was mentioned so back to the drawing board.

Continued....

Wow! Thats going to be a sweet little setup to fish out of. Nice work guys

Really enjoying the progress on this project.. Can't wait to see it all painted and ready for her maiden voyage.

Good stuff gentlemen.

Hey Sculpin, forgive my ignorance.. Is the reason for the seam at the bottom of the windscreen because it makes it easier to scribe a thin section to the shape of the boat and then attach the level bottom of the windscreen to the scribed piece?
The new arch design looks cool.

Back