Radar Reflector

Jencourt

Hey Folks:Looking for recommendations on what radar reflector to get. I am running a trophy soft top so keeping it portable or at least easy to mount out of the way is key. Really know little to nothing about them so any help as far as what kind,where to get it, and mount it is appreciated.

The metal davis one in cached rain position mounted high is the best one.. I run mobri mounted on a extendible boat hook...Serves both purposes and can collapse down when dont need it... You can get them pretty much any boat place...

Anything is better than none! If you want the best check out:
http://www.ussailing.org/wp-content...ore/SAS Studies/2007 Radar Reflector Test.pdf

"The Sea-Me RTE has a peak RCS that is very high in comparison to the passive
reflectors described in this report. On the basis of these results it is the only reflector
tested that would fully satisfy the performance requirements of ISO8729 [1] and the
proposed specification for ISO8729 Ed.2 [2] (only up to an elevation angle of 10˚ or
Category 1)."

But, hang on to your wallet!
Sea-Me Radar Target EnhancerSea-Me Radar Target Enhancer retails for $1,056.00

Coast guard requires that you have a radar reflector now. Charlie's article is a good one -- it and many others basically show that the Mobri style ones (skinny 2" pipe style) are basically useless -- they meet the requirement for having a radar reflector mounted so you won't get fined, but don't help improve radar returns.

The Davis ones are good in the rain catch position -- and they are fairly cheap at about $50 -- that's usually easy to mount on a powerboat. There is also an Inflatable Echomax which shows good returns and testing over 5 seasons. There are also many options for making one yourself including this article if you're handy with sheet metal.

All vessels need a reflector? Or just those over a certain size? Where can I find that info?

Coast guard requires that you have a radar reflector now. Charlie's article is a good one -- it and many others basically show that the Mobri style ones (skinny 2" pipe style) are basically useless -- they meet the requirement for having a radar reflector mounted so you won't get fined, but don't help improve radar returns.

The Davis ones are good in the rain catch position -- and they are fairly cheap at about $50 -- that's usually easy to mount on a powerboat. There is also an Inflatable Echomax which shows good returns and testing over 5 seasons. There are also many options for making one yourself including this article if you're handy with sheet metal.

Thanks for the response so far.

I was of the understanding that the rule was something like. " a reflector is required if you are operating a vessel in an area or at a time when the threat of fog is imminent" so pretty much to me that means west coast just about all summer long. is this not correct or has it changed?

I have a relative in the Coast Guard.
Radar reflector not required unless running at night or in fog.
Not required on a metal boat.

Thanks for the info. Read up and I couldn't find a specific mention of craft size. But did find this,

5. (1) Each light, shape, sound-signalling appliance and radar reflector required by these Regulations to be carried or exhibited on a vessel, except those on a pleasure craft, shall have a proof of compliance stating that the light, shape, sound-signalling appliance or radar reflector meets the standards applicable under section 6.

I have had people with radar check the mobri I have ...Its still does pick it up all though some our better. When I put my arch on soon will probably put Davis one on.

[h=2]https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp-tp14070-3587.htm
Radar Reflectors[/h]A passive radar reflector can help a radar-equipped vessel detect your vessel. Vessels less than 20 metres long or built mostly from non-metal materials must have a radar reflector mounted above the superstructure, when possible not less than 4 metres above the water. The reflector must be able to perform under the range of foreseeable environmental conditions.
The radar reflector requirement does not apply if your vessel is very small or if it operates only:

• in limited traffic during daylight hours when the visibility is good; or
  • where no vessels use radar.
Refer to Ship Safety Bulletin 07/2008: The Importance of Properly Fitting an Effective Radar Reflector on Small or Non-Metallic Vessels for more information on the need to carefully select and install radar reflectors.
Remember: Having a radar reflector simply helps you be seen. You still have to keep a proper lookout for other vessels.

zap strapped halfway up my antenna.

I have installed mine on my antenna also. It is a Mobri made for sail boats. It is notched out both ends and fits well with zap straps. Also works very well.

zap strapped halfway up my antenna.
I did that too. I snapped mine just be careful. Mine was a fiberglass whip though. Wont do it again..I wouldn't advise it slowly cracks it over time... Didn't snap right away... I guess added weight slowly cracked away fiberglass then snapo...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I got a reflector from Harbour Chandler in Nanaimo.

They where out of the Davis model but had these that they said are very similar. Got together with my Buddy Norm and made a pretty simple and affective potable swing mount for it .
Used some canopy tubing and connectors a few stainless screws and some velcro. and a clamp. Mounted to the bow rail and out of the way.

First is the clamp with swing connector. alows me to remove easily and store wen not needed.

In working position with velcro to bow rail for stability. Pic makes it look really high. actually just nicely clears the top of the canvas top.

third is securely in down position for wen we need it.

Only thing left to do is swap out the coated bolt on the clamp for a stainless,if I can find one

Last edited by a moderator:
Back