Looking for an 18 to 20 foot boat

mdigiovabc

Hi guys,

I've been looking at this site for quite some time but have never posted. Once I get a boat and get out in the water, I'm sure that I will be more active on this site.

I'm looking for an 18-20 foot boat that is setup for salmon fishing (i.e. outboard main & kicker, electric downriggers etc., fishfinder, etc.). I have looked at Trophy 2002 and it is way to big for me to move around on trailer and will not fit in my garage.

I would like a boat that can be used for fishing as well as for taking my family out on the boat.

I have looked at the Bayliner Discovery 192 and it seems to meet my criteria but ones prior to 2006 have carpeting and I don't want to have any carpeting.

A Malibu 185 Tyee looks like a nice boat and I've read good things about them.

If you have a boat like I described and are interested in selling it, please let me know.

I would like to spend about $20K for the right boat but it must have an enclosed space for a porta potty:).

Thanks in advance!
Mike

Thanks for the link - I will check this out. I've seen this boat for sale for quite some time but will make contact.

Thanks for the links but these trophy 20/21 foot boats are just too big for me to move around (when on land) and it only leaves about 3" clearance on either sides of my garage door.

There is a nice 2009 Malibu Tyee 185 for sale in Surrey but it's priced at $21K and does not have a kicker or any downriggers and that's gonna bump up my cost quite a bit.

I have a mailbu 185...At over 20k that is high. I personally wouldn't pay over 20 for one. Mine is inboard and I love it but say you add good used outboard even podded maybe say 15-17k with a kicker and that is perfect condition... Here is my take if thats boat you want. The Malibu has very high gunnels especially if you have young kids, but not as much deck space out the back outboard or inboard especially if its a hard top like mine. The comprise has always been its a family first and fishing boat second...But it also has the double eagle shell which makes it a very safe boat and smooth ride.

You get a larger sleeping area out the front as its more of cuddy cabin.. A trophy will have a smaller cuddy/less seating but more deck space out back and lower gunnels. Each one of them our good boats family wise. My take is the trophy is better suited for fishing...But still works as family boat. At 20k honestly I would look at everything.... And look at some 20 feet...A few feet makes huge difference on comfort... Good luck...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for you input on this! I agree that $20K for the one I mentioned is too high. I'm looking for a family boat that I can use for fishing and thats why I think the Malibu will work better for me. I think I would prefer to get a 182 (inboard) instead of the 185 as that will give me more space for fishing. Was it a lot of work to turn your 185 into a 182? Does Malibu make a 20' like the 182 or is it the Malibu 20 that you are referring to in the 20' range? Do the 20's come in both inboard and outboard configuration or do they only come in inboard.

There was a older Malibu 20 in the interior that was priced at $1,500 as is and needed a motor but did not have any details. I could see that it was an inboard. It came with a trailer but I think that would have been way too much work for me to take on.

Do you know if the Malibu 20 boats have double eagle shell?

Hi mike,

I too have a malibu 185 (i/o) hardtop. Love the boat, but recently had a catastrophic motor issue. Not sure what I'm going to do with it. I could drop in a new motor, convert to a pod and outboard or just sell it as is.

Sounds like a malibu, double eagle or campion 18' to 20' would suit you well. The biggest consideration is to decide inboard vs outboard and there is a lot of reading material on here about that. I will say, I'm finding out that replacing my little 4 cylinder to be much more expensive than I originally thought...

Seriously considering the pod.

Sent from my Leap using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for you input on this! I agree that $20K for the one I mentioned is too high. I'm looking for a family boat that I can use for fishing and thats why I think the Malibu will work better for me. I think I would prefer to get a 182 (inboard) instead of the 185 as that will give me more space for fishing. Was it a lot of work to turn your 185 into a 182? Does Malibu make a 20' like the 182 or is it the Malibu 20 that you are referring to in the 20' range? Do the 20's come in both inboard and outboard configuration or do they only come in inboard.

There was a older Malibu 20 in the interior that was priced at $1,500 as is and needed a motor but did not have any details. I could see that it was an inboard. It came with a trailer but I think that would have been way too much work for me to take on.

Do you know if the Malibu 20 boats have double eagle shell?
I have an inboard I like it myself... Not sure about the 20 shell I wouldn't be surprised. I.E. Podding... Ok lets take my case 7k for boat + 3 k pod + 9000K used 150 motor... Boat now worth almost 20K? Not worth it never get that for it.To do that you have to love your boat and just keep it. So I am staying away from it... I will keep inboard... There's no way I am getting over 20 for it when its all done.. Plus with this boat you don't gain that much room. The doghouse isn't that big on these...

Don't get me wrong I like pods but I like them on larger boats like 20+ feet... Many of those the shell was bought for nothing so it made sense.. Have a look at Gary ( Albernifisher) post on his boat..In that case what he put into he will get that back...

Hi mike,

I too have a malibu 185 (i/o) hardtop. Love the boat, but recently had a catastrophic motor issue. Not sure what I'm going to do with it. I could drop in a new motor, convert to a pod and outboard or just sell it as is.

Sounds like a malibu, double eagle or campion 18' to 20' would suit you well. The biggest consideration is to decide inboard vs outboard and there is a lot of reading material on here about that. I will say, I'm finding out that replacing my little 4 cylinder to be much more expensive than I originally thought...

Seriously considering the pod.

Suprising all said and down installed was 5k... for the 4cyl.. What happened btw?

Thanks for the information about pod (and how much work it is). I definitely would like to get an inboard as that will give me more fishing space. Did they produce more 185 vs 182's or do you think the owners with the 182's are not selling theirs?

I have not been able to find much information about these boats even though the company is still around or is this a different company (i.e. http://www.malibuboats.com/)?

I think its a good boat and lots of guys hold onto them... Just look at all of them..The campion 185 is also a good family boat and you can find those with outboard version.. Once in a while a malibu 182 comes up for sale... Just keep looking...

Part of my problem is its volvo and they discontinued the engine. I can get a merc motor to mate up, but it's a little more work. Labor included I'm looking at $8k to $12k. Pod would be $2500ish, plus motor of choice and other mods. So say $4k to $5k more than replacing the inboard.

Nice boat, similar vintage to mine. I'm not as fond of the double sleeper seat configuration, and prefer a swivel captain chair with one sleeper. I like hardtops too, but soft tops have more headroom. Like the motor tho.

That little Malibu would fly with a 150 on it!! 50MPH?? Can't beat the low hours on that motor too!! Remember, you are pretty much just paying for the motor......the boat attached is just a bonus. All those other boats had 2 stroke older motors.... I would go for this one!

I agree with you about sleeper seats. What do you think it would cost to replace win pedestal style seats? I was thinking of doing that even for the port side as well. I know I will loose seating capacity but maybe can add some cooler seats that I can easily mo e out of the way when going fishing. Should I be concerned about the age of the hull (1994)? I think this would be a good buy for about $14-15K. What do you think?

Way to much with no kicker and old yamaha. Beware of the unknown hours. I have the sleeper seat and one swivel its not that bad. At 20k your going to be looking at 90's hulls..

If you can score that boat for 14 or 15 you would be laughing all the way to the bank! looks like a decent score especially with all the hardware and 4 strokes attached :)

Back