What to do with white spring

Oh Thank God!! or not... I thought we were going through ANOTHER red vs while thread...... I repeat what I (and many others ) have said... there is no such thing as a BAD tasting Pacific salmon... only poor cooks who dont know how to cook them.

I mix 3/4 cup brown sugar and 2 tablespoons salt in one litre of water. Brine the fillet in that for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, then grill. Moist, almost buttery with the oil, beautiful!!

haha ..:) Nice i like this ,the white spring is getting some good love !! ... looking forward to my next white now more than ever ...

Oh Thank God!! or not... I thought we were going through ANOTHER red vs while thread...... I repeat what I (and many others ) have said... there is no such thing as a BAD tasting Pacific salmon... only poor cooks who dont know how to cook them.

I agree, don't get hung up on the fish, it's what you do with it that counts.

Rustle up a nice Black and Purple striped Tiger trout (river caught Chum salmon) and lets see how you cook that ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
While you're in the kitchen can you give 2xeagle a quick tutorial on how to cook?? :p

Hey don't do that, it is working well for me. Not long ago I finished up eating all the canned white Chinook he gave me because he did not like it. I like the milder taste of the whites especially for Sashimi. Traded him a Red Chinook for his White we had both caught in the JDF Fathers Day Derby and the white was considerably larger.

Last edited by a moderator:
love the early whites/marbles off ecvi some of the best tasting fish period. Only ones I don't care for are the fish chowing on squid later in the year as they have a gamey? flavor. Just my two bits I don't really understand how a white spring who cant absorb carotenoids changes the flavor much when they are both feeding on the same baits.

Try this, my fav way to eat whites.
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup oil
1/3 cup water
Mix together real good
Put fillets in a large freezer bag or glass dish and pour marinade over them
Marinade for an hour at least,
Get bbq real hot and lay fillet skin side up to start maybe 7-10 minutes thickness depending,
Flip over, brush on a little of the marinade and cook till inside temp is 140-145 no more(very important)
Serve and enjoy,
We never have leftovers, even the picky kids want seconds

Sent from my rotary phone using tapacrap!

Ha funny I use this exact same recipe for whites. In fact it's what's for dinner tonight!

Not just for Whiteys but get a BBQ rock (flat, square) and try BBQing skin down on these.
No sticking to the grill/ no tin foil and changes the way it cooks and tastes.

Can get these at Capital Iron for about $50.00.

Marinate in Kikoman Teriyaki with fresh ginger and garlic and fresh ground pepper.Marinate 1/2 or full day

BBQ on Cedar plank.When cooked sprinkle with fresh chopped dill and top with fresh blueberry chutney.Serve with beverage of choice.Guarantee there will be nothing left

It's that time of year

Marinate in Kikoman Teriyaki with fresh ginger and garlic and fresh ground pepper.Marinate 1/2 or full day

BBQ on Cedar plank.When cooked sprinkle with fresh chopped dill and top with fresh blueberry chutney.Serve with beverage of choice.Guarantee there will be nothing left

It's that time of year

The thead said what to do with White and marbled springs,hope they are not hybirding the streams with whites ,are the iodine bathes or cemicale bathes they are subjected to at incubation stage related to pale color of meat?

Back