rollers or bunks

abl

Hi,
getting a new trailer and would like to hear from anyone that has had both rollers and bunks and what their preference is. Currently have rollers and find that I can launch/recover at shallow ramps and low water. I remember that it was discussed in a previous form, but cannot find it by searching.

thanks for any constructive criticism.

With bunks, you drive on and off under power (means you have control of your boat)(also means you don't need a walkway on the ramp), and there is no difference in water level required to launch.
Read a trailer manual, a winch is an, "Emergency Recovery Device".
I see far more people with rollers having issues at ramps than those with bunks.
my 2 cents

Bunks support the weight of the boat more evenly. helps to have 2 people , one to retrieve tow vehicle the other
to power the boat onto the bunks.
Rollers are better for shallow water launching and if you're alone as you can winch the boat on more easily
than with bunks.

X2 on the rollers. If they're set up right, your boat will self centre. If you fish alone rollers make it easier to load/unload your boat by yourself. Also, I've been able to launch in areas where other guys with bunk boards are waiting for the tide to come up. Ran boards for a long time but my preference is rollers. But I think it would depend on your boats size.

Having had both, I prefer bunks. I have my bunks set very low (close to trailer frame) and it makes launching/retrieving at low water easy. As well, once you have the depth at which to stop the trailer figured out, loading solo is easy cause once the boat is up it sticks to the bunks. Keep in mind I'm only dealing with an 18' boat though

I've got rollers on the front to help center the boat in the trailer and bunks with plastic sliders on the back to provide better support and weight distribution. Works well.

I have seen rollers in the front and bunks in the back on some of the new Roadrunner trailers. I like this set up because the main weight of the motor is supported by the bunks at the back, but when launching the back end floats off the bunks and the front rolls right off the rollers.

after putting new rollers on my trailer they work almost too good, if I don't wrap the bowline around the winch post it takes right off, after figuring that trick out, I can unclip the safety and the winch strap & can launch it with one finger, rolls off n on like a dream.. can't do that with bunks.. also with my new rollers I can pull the boat out with the leg down and not hit the skeg.

Weight, weight distribution and duration on trailer are the most important issues. For smaller boat (18' and under) I think rollers are fine. Particularly for aluminum boats where you want as mush air circulation as possible. Heavier fiberglass boats that spend most of their time on a trailer should be on bunks. Hybrid trailer (rollers in front and bunks in back) are a great compromise.

Rollers are pretty sweet especially in low tides and solo at the ramp iv'e just experienced , had bunks on my last boat and needed decent amount of water to push off ..shticky !..
slips in and out easy . If i was doing long rides and road trips i would do bunks .

Fish ON !! :)

I've got an Ez-loader trailer with rollers, for my 17' Double Eagle and like the setup. Like Jeffery, even on shallow or low slope ramps, I find the boat rolls off with ease so I leave the winch attached and unwind until the boat is mostly off to keep the launch under control. Loading is very easy, and boat always centers itself, even with onshore winds. I don't like the idea of "driving" onto the trailer as it seems full of risk to hull and motor, particularly with a deep v hull. Also, with spreading the load across 16 rollers, I think the hull is well supported. With rollers, the boat sits higher than it might with bunks, but on the other hand I can trim the motor down vertical and the bottom of the skeg is about 1" off the ground, which is better for running on the muffs, and shortens the length overall for storage in the garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got bunks. I'd prefer a combination of bunks and rollers. My logic. Bunks at low tide take a lot of work effort, especially if you're solo. Also, Sometimes On a steep ramp I find with bunks i don't get the boat far enough up the trailer when I'm loading it to set it into the vertical upright winch Stopper. I'm maybe an inch short. Stress on the winch is too high to continue. I then have to get the boat on a downward hill afterwards and hammer on brakes to get it to slide forward. Weight and balance is important. In my case an inch is 300 lbs in tongue weight which effects handling.

After about 8 boat trailers and virtually every combination of bunks and rollers my personal favourite is what I have now…….bunks with UMHW pads on the centring boards
Boat slides on/off easy and centers perfectly every time, win win.

Last trailer was a bunk trailer for my Seasport and it was always a real pain to launch and retrieve the boat. New trailer is a roller and I love it. A combo bunk and roller may be the best if you are worried about weight distribution. Have a small aluminum boat with a bunk trailer and that works just fine because the boat is so light. Guess it depends on the boat and where you launch normally. When I had a bunk trailer with the Seasport my rear truck tires had to be backed into the water often to get the boat off the trailer.

Back