What kind of fish is this?

Jerr

I catch these fish along the shore of wood lake and okanagan lake all the time, and I can't figure out what it is... They also don't taste very good. If anyone knows what they are please tell me... The are fun to fish and usually I can catch a lot of them with just a hook with a worm on it. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 925
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 927
I guess a more compelling question would be; "Why did I kill this when I have no idea what kind of fish it is and whether or not I am legally allowed to kill it".........

Pikeminnows are not an invasive species. They're just really good at adapting to the environmental conditions that are created in lakes when people start getting involved.

I guess a more compelling question would be; "Why did I kill this when I have no idea what kind of fish it is and whether or not I am legally allowed to kill it".........

I did not kill this fish. The only time I have ever taken one of these fish was 3 years ago. I cooked it and it was gross so I threw it out...

I used to think that Squawfish were junk too... During the days ( MANY years ago ) I worked on a summer job on a ranch at Monte Creek on the South Thompson east of Kamloops (Wow-- talk about a run on sentence.. my English teacher would give me a "D" for that! ) , I frequently used my one day a week off by heading down to the river and fishing. I got some nice trout ( and even an early spring salmon one year) but mostly I caught squawfish. The foreman on the ranch was quite happy to get as many as I was able to catch. He had them fed to the pigs-- cheap protein for them. But one day one of the Natives on our haying crew invited me to his place for dinner. I just had to bring the squawfish ! His wife made fish cakes that were cooked over an open fire . I gained a new respect for the "trashfish" ! Excellent eating. Since then I have not listened to comments from others that this fish or that, is no good to eat. Just like smoked or baked carp, dogfish etc. Try it before accepting the judgement of others who have not tried it either!!! :)

Thanks for this post.

Northern Pike Minnow's are a native species. They are very good eating if you know how to prepare them. The ability to prepare fish in a wide variety of styles is a skill lacking by most people in the west. Not all fish is great fried, and it doesnt need to be.

There is no need to denigrate a native species like this that can be delicious and has plenty of fight in it for a fish of its size.

It is ideas like these that has lead to the collapse of Colorado Pike Minnow populations, another cool native species.

In fact, similar sentiments were and are prevalent wrt Bull Trout/Dollies. Poor tasting and fighting.

Heck, even reminds me of a guy in Ontario wacking a musky and throwing it back because it wasnt the fish of his preference.

He asked a very simple question....good for him....If more young people would ask questions...maybe our fishery wouldn't be so screwed up?
If we don't guide them along the right path...who will....he fishes off a dock?
I see you live close by...send me a pm...Either I or Fisher_ Dude will take you out on the lake with us.

He asked a very simple question....good for him....If more young people would ask questions...maybe our fishery wouldn't be so screwed up?
I see you live close by...send me a pm...Either I or Fisher_ Dude will take you out on the lake with us.

This young man is welcome to come out with me anytime if he finds himself in the LM too.

This young man is welcome to come out with me anytime if he finds himself in the LM too.

Back